Exploit question

yrtalien

Explorer
Let me start by apologizing for a longish post. I really want to make sure I have this down so I don't screw things up. For those of you sitting at home thinking "Wow... this guy is dense". Well, I honestly am. On a good day I am a medicated fuzzy thinker, on a bad day I have to work hard to parse something. The thing is, I am trying. I want to understand. Don't worry I won't make anyone justify their answers. If I don't follow beyond "Yes, you got it right" or No, my Gods man NO" I will go to the people at my table and ask them to help me grok the rules based on your responses. I love my gaming group, they tolerate my weird : )

In reading through some of the older posts trying to find answers to burning questions without plaguing you all, and Morrus, yet again I stumbled across something.

Apparently there is no difference twixt a Career exploit and a Universal Exploit. In my group we have been playing such that Universals could only be applied once per round and Career could be applied at will.

When I inform the table this will represent a radical change in how things work. That is if I understood correctly.

A few examples:
The Martial Artist will only be able to use Iron Fist and Elemental Fist on one punch (3d6 damage) and his second punch will be the base (1d6). Not bad, but now I know the MA is going to be looking for things like Deadly Strike or Double Punch to fortify the second attack in the string.

Have I got this right now?

Now say the Fire Mage in our group flings a Greater Fire bolt (3d6 damage) he can no longer throw a second Fire bolt, but rather might have to spend some MP and use signature spell to launch a second spell... or just stab with a sword...etc. For full two attack usefulness ?

Our Star knight is going to ask: Enhanced attributes. You gain +2 SPEED and +5’ to both vertical and horizontal jump distances. We always assumed that was a permanent change to the character, but if he decides to move twice in a round and normally has a speed of 5. He can move 7 the first action and 5 the second ?

Similarly: Missile deflection [requires Laser Sword]. You are able to deflect incoming ranged attacks with your laser sword. This allows you to use your laser sword for DEFENSE against ranged attacks as well as from melee attacks. As I understand things now the Star Knight might block one attack and then would default to his usual ranged defense? Can he throw his laser sword twice in a turn?

Or, final one I promise: My Martial Artist has a Battlepsyche Telekinetic Shield... which says it is permanent... so always on never worry about having to remove that, unless Cover applies since that is listed as negating. But his Northern Shaolin: Shifting Forms exploit... You gain a +2 MELEE DEFENSE bonus. Only applies to one attack a turn and then drops?

I get the feeling I am over thinking this and might be messing up massively. If I am please let me know so I don't mis-inform the table.. Are the exploits that modify attributes and derived stats permanent like the battlepsyche TK shield? Is that where I am messing up.

I will try not to post another question for at least 3 days to give everyone a break : )

Thanks in advance,
Oscar

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
That's a lot of questions! I'll try to find some time to get to them this weekend, I promise. :)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
OK, here goes. Basically, if it's an action you can do it once per round; if it simply changes your statistics then it's continuous.

The Martial Artist will only be able to use Iron Fist and Elemental Fist on one punch (3d6 damage) and his second punch will be the base (1d6).

These aren't actions, they just modify your stats - they change your unarmed damage value. So these are continuous.

Now say the Fire Mage in our group flings a Greater Fire bolt (3d6 damage) he can no longer throw a second Fire bolt, but rather might have to spend some MP and use signature spell to launch a second spell... or just stab with a sword...etc. For full two attack usefulness ?

Firebolt is described as a "single ranged attack" and is thus treated like one. Greater Firebolt just modifies it.

Our Star knight is going to ask: Enhanced attributes. You gain +2 SPEED and +5’ to both vertical and horizontal jump distances. We always assumed that was a permanent change to the character, but if he decides to move twice in a round and normally has a speed of 5. He can move 7 the first action and 5 the second ?

Those modify stats, so they're continuous.

Similarly: Missile deflection [requires Laser Sword]. You are able to deflect incoming ranged attacks with your laser sword. This allows you to use your laser sword for DEFENSE against ranged attacks as well as from melee attacks. As I understand things now the Star Knight might block one attack and then would default to his usual ranged defense?

Continuous - it's not an action, it just modifies your RANGED DEFENSE score.

Can he throw his laser sword twice in a turn?

That is an action, so just once.

My Martial Artist has a Battlepsyche Telekinetic Shield... which says it is permanent... so always on never worry about having to remove that, unless Cover applies since that is listed as negating. But his Northern Shaolin: Shifting Forms exploit... You gain a +2 MELEE DEFENSE bonus. Only applies to one attack a turn and then drops?

That modifies a value. It's continuous.

Basic rule of thumb - actions are once per turn, stat changes are permanent.

yrtalien

Explorer
Thanks Morrus, as you can see I started realizing that towards the end but by then lack of sleep and overtaxed reasoning got the best of me and I petered out. I firmly grok now.

Whatever you are up to this weekend, Morrus, I hope it's fun.

Thanks again.

Remove ads