How big's the RPG market?

How big is the RPG market? Pretty damn tiny, is the answer. As of 2016/2017 it's about $35m in size, according to ICv2. That's of a Hobby Games market currently worth just over a billion dollars. The RPG segment is a mere 2.9% of the overall Hobby Games market, which includes boardgames, miniatures, hobby card games, and collectible games. Of course, the competition for RPGs isn't just boardgames or card games, it's entertainment; and on that scale, the RPG market is a tiny niche of the Hobby Games market, which is a tiny niche of the global entertainment market. Note that these figures are US and Canada only, and include Kickstarter sales.

UPDATE: the below $1.19B figure has since been revised upwards by ICv2 to $1.4B in 2017, with an RPG segment of $45M.

hobby_games_market_size.png

The hobby games market as a whole is the size of one major movie blockbuster. The global film industry market was 38.3 billion in 2015. Putting that into perspective:

Screen Shot 2017-07-06 at 14.50.56.png

The video game industry is even bigger, at $91B in 2016.

video_game.png

However, the entire hobby games market is growing year on year. Just look at the latest stats: the market has grown from $700M in 2013 to $1.19B in 2016/2017. Of that, RPGs have more than doubled in size, from $15M to $35M. Boardgames have over tripled in size. There is definitely a tabletop boom going on right now, powered by a number of factors ranging from Kickstarter, to the introduction of US West Coast media (shows like Tabletop and outlets like Geek & Sundry have helped to mainstream tabletop gaming), and more.

Data from ICv2 and other sources.

SaveSave
SaveSave
[FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
But, even of DM's, how many DM's are like me that buy the core books and maybe one book every two years? My "gotta catch'em all" days died in early 2e.

Well, you didn't say "The number of gamers who buy *all the books* is a tiny, tiny fraction." I'm saying the GM and maybe one player in five buys some stuff. I am agreeing that it isn't a majority, but it isn't "tiny, tiny" either.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Just to put that into perspective 2013 was the absolute nadir for the RPG market - it was the year where WotC did not put out a single RPG book - none for 4e and 5e wasn't out yet. The goal for 4e was $50 million/year (it didn't make that, but that was considered plausible).
That's simply not true. WotC released the following print D&D products in 2013:

Unearthed Arcana Premium Reprint (February 2013)
D&D Encounters: Against the Cult of Chaos (February 2013)
Dungeons of Dread Classic Adventure Compilation (March 2013)
D&D Lair Assault: Into the Pit of Madness (March 2013)
Spell Compendium v.3.5 Premium Reprint (April 2013)
D&D Encounters: Storm over Neverwinter (April 2013)
Dungeon Master's Guide Premium Reprint (May 2013)
Monstrous Manual Premium Reprint (May 2013)
Player's Handbook Premium Reprint (May 2013)
Against the Slave Lords Classic Adventure Compilation (June 2013)
D&D Game Day: Vault of the Dracolich (June 2013)
D&D Encounters: Search for the Diamond Staff (June 2013)
Magic Item Compendium v.3.5 Premium Reprint (July 2013)
Murder in Baldur's Gate (August 2013)
Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle (August 2013)
Legacy of the Crystal Shard (November 2013)
Original Edition Premium Reprint (November 2013)

Sure, some of those releases were for organised play, and most of the rest were reprints, but seventeen print products is not the same as "not a single RPG book"!

Tony Vargas

Legend
Sure, some of those releases were for organised play, and most of the rest were reprints, but seventeen print products is not the same as "not a single RPG book"!
Only the re-prints were books, and they were, well, re-prints. The rest were organized play modules, small & cheap (they hadn't formerly charged for them at all, actually).

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Only the re-prints were books, and they were, well, re-prints. The rest were organized play modules, small & cheap (they hadn't formerly charged for them at all, actually).

Some of them were organised play modules (the D&D Encounters and Lair Assault releases). But Murder in Baldur's Gate and Legacy of the Crystal Shard were commercial releases, as was Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle although that was a limited edition Gencon release, I seem to recall.

I'd also not agree with the characterisation of those releases as "small & cheap". Let's take a closer look at the contents of each:

D&D Encounters: Against the Cult of Chaos: 52-page adventure, two fold-out maps
D&D Lair Assault: Into the Pit of Madness: 16-page half-sized booklet, map, sheet of cardboard counters
D&D Encounters: Storm over Neverwinter: 36-page adventure, two fold-out maps
D&D Game Day: Vault of the Dracolich: 24-page adventure, fold-out map, map hand-out
D&D Encounters: Search for the Diamond Staff: 40-page adventure, two fold-out maps.
Murder in Baldur's Gate: 64-page setting book, 32-page adventure book, DM screen, $34.95
Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle: 288-page softcover (included the playtest rules), $29.95
Legacy of the Crystal Shard: 64-page setting book, 32-page adventure book, DM screen, $34.95

Okay, so that Lair Assault release is both small (literally) and cheap, I must concede. :)

Tony Vargas

Legend
Some of them were organised play modules (the D&D Encounters and Lair Assault releases). But Murder in Baldur's Gate and Legacy of the Crystal Shard were commercial releases, as was Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle although that was a limited edition Gencon release, I seem to recall.
I can't recall when they started charging for Encounters & Lair Assault modules - I mean, I vividly recall it, there was practically a revolt at my FLGS, I just can't recall the timing.

Judging from only 3 of the things you quote having $$, though, I'm guesing it was sometime /in/ 2013. So, yeah, free publications did not bring in any revenue.

That leaves some adventures, notoriously bad sellers to begin with, that were in lines that were /formerly free/, not exactly a high-volume strategy, starting to charge for something you'd been giving away.

So, yeah, hardly suprising that a period when D&D as publishing no rule books (traditionally the better sellers) at all, and the future of the line was still somewhat in doubt, was the revenue nadir of a market traditionally dominated by D&D.

Wait, I thought people complained hardcore about monthly splat book release? That they didn't want to buy books every month?

I thought people don't want RPGs to be a commercial product but instead be some auteur creation?

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
Wait, I thought people complained hardcore about monthly splat book release? That they didn't want to buy books every month?

I thought that was only because of the guy that went around to your house every month and forced you to buy each new book.

Without that guy then you can just choose to buy or not every month, right?

Tony Vargas

Legend

I thought people don't want RPGs to be a commercial product but instead be some auteur creation?
Different thread, different people, different agenda.

In some threads, some of us want D&D to be exclusive non-commerical, to prove how elitist/artistic we are as gamers.
In other threads, some of us want D&D to be raking in money because it's so popular, to prove how cool and with it we are.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases