Storage, Care and Feeding of your Combat mat (tm)

guedo79

Explorer
Hi All,

I've just picked up one of Crystal Castles Combat Mats. I love it but I'm having a hard time figuring out a good way to store it. I need something I can carry it around in since I travel with it a lot.

Any ideas? Tips? Tricks?

the original plastic sheath is starting to fall apart.

alsih2o

First Post
got to your local flooring store and ask them for part of the cardboard tube that a carpet roll came on.

or, if oyu wanna pay for one, the post office.

best idea (sturdy) ig to get a piece of pvc tubing and 2 endcaps. seal one endcap on (one only!:p ) with pvc sealer and you get a shockproof, water-resistant cheap case. 3 rivets and a strap and you look like a rock-n-roll god :D

guedo79

Explorer
ooo pvc. thats worth looking into.

A rock and roll god? not likely.
A wierd-o with a strange looking pipe? much more likely;)

Poster mailing tubes or blueprint/artwork storage tubes.

The mailing tubes cost a couple $ at any office supply store, the artwork storage tubes are more expensive but often have carrying straps and screw on caps.

Or, do as my group does, wrap a couple rubberbands around the rolled up map and throw it in the back seat of your car. :D

dagger

Adventurer
Here is what we have used to protect our battle mats (all types) since first edition d&d.

We buy every 5 years or so a thin sheet of clear Plexiglas from Home Depot (about 18 bucks) the same size or bigger than the mats. We lay this over the mats on the table and Wa La!

We write on the plexi with grease pencils, comes off easy and the battle mats are like new even 10 years later.

Advantages:

-Plexi is cheap
-Protects battle mat
-Grease pencils cheap and last a very long time
-Flat sturdy surface for miniatures
-Plexi lasts a very long time
-Cleans up easy, no wet paper towels or cloths (water does not work with grease pencils anyway)
-No marker smell
-Easy to draw on

As far as carrying matts around, we use these large card board tubes with caps on the end.....

Last edited:

guedo79

Explorer
Cthulhu's Librarian said:
Or, do as my group does, wrap a couple rubberbands around the rolled up map and throw it in the back seat of your car. :D

I'm afraid of my map melting or warping if I leave it in the car. Plus I like the idea of something hard so I can stand it up.

Remove ads