D&D 4E List of Potential New Martial Practices

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I am thinking I will be replacing the existing practices have already done so just out of necessity for many of them which were just poorly done ...

for instance I am thinking broadly put something like the following.

Master of Cyphers -- history → better than linguistics you can figure out things encoded with secrecy in mind, languages too you can read any language related to one you know fluently but and with effort and time even those unrelated. You can also encode things so that others can only decipher
with a multipart key.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Another few ideas like master of cyphers.

Travelers Foresight(Ranger/Soldier) -- Insight/Nature →Direction Sense and Weather Prediction, with a minutes focus you can find your direction easily and surely with clues from the environment your overland travel rate is improved and you can also spend about 10 minutes taking the pulse of the land allowing you to precisely predict weather changes.

Jury Rig / McGyver -- Theiving, (Dungeoneering) Engineering →Incredible reparations you do not even need to know for certain what the device originally did. You are also able to spend time to improvise tools to enhance many activities like lock picks and levers and similar.

Reading the Battle/Eyes of the Huntress-- perception/nature Identifying incredible amounts of information about creatures and what they did based on the tell tale signs left by a battle this may provide valuable tactical insites allowing one to gain combat advantage once against any of those participating in the battle if it was wthin X time period using a minor action or to confer it on an ally.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Reading the Battle/Eyes of the Huntress-- perception/nature Identifying incredible amounts of information about creatures and what they did based on the tell tale signs left by a battle this may provide valuable tactical insites allowing one to gain combat advantage once against any of those participating in the battle if it was wthin X time period using a minor action or to confer it on an ally.

A couple of sources for this idea... one is Princess Bride LOL

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
New Idea

Perfect Escape
(dungeoneering or perception) you spend an hour maybe 4 in a location analyzing and sometimes manipulating its environmental features perhaps digging tunnels and undermining;weakening features creating or discovering an escape route that you can readily close behind you and using scene elements and features to setting up a future distraction. You can then trigger this escape at a later time, this is perfected escape plan may be triggered at this location any time within Adversaries will be unable to follow and will indeed likely think you are dead.

It might be interesting to make using the escape route cost Healing Surges from each party member using it

The Perfect Escape as luck would have it can also be paid for using Karma points (See planned preparedness the boy scout practice )

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
One of the things this practice points toward is preplanned advantage you create a place from which it is easy for one in the know to do a desparate escape....(also i think you should be able to share that with an ally ) triggering it in this case destroys it making it already an limited use item create escape route. I can picture discovering an escape route on the fly...or to make a herculean effort or brilliant engineering effort bringing down the pillars behind you.
New Idea

Perfect Escape
(dungeoneering or perception) you spend an hour maybe 4 in a location analyzing and sometimes manipulating its environmental features perhaps digging tunnels and undermining;weakening features creating or discovering an escape route that you can readily close behind you and using scene elements and features to setting up a future distraction. You can then trigger this escape at a later time, this is perfected escape plan may be triggered at this location any time within Adversaries will be unable to follow and will indeed likely think you are dead.

The Perfect Escape as luck would have it can also be paid for using Karma points (See planned preparedness the boy scout practice )

Yaarel

He Mage
One direction I thought to go with this is to enumerate rituals which we think CANNOT be converted directly into martial practices.

Then figure out indirect methods of approaching it.

For instance Teleport

Teleport and telekinesis are for me the essence of ‘magic’.

Even modern technology doesnt do telekinesis well, nevermind teleport.

I would probably add shapechange to the list of magic.

(I figure cellphones cover telepathy well enough.)

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Teleport and telekinesis are for me the essence of ‘magic’.
Even modern technology doesnt do telekinesis well, nevermind teleport.
I would probably add shapechange to the list of magic.
(I figure cellphones cover telepathy well enough.)

One of the effects of teleport is often to enable an escape which is more than a little difficult to follow. (see recently started but unfinished idea on this thread), see also enabling abilities that allow travel which avoids danger (Peerless tracker). The idea is not to duplicate how things are done but rather find the components or benefits achievable and enable those. (Peerless tracker also does something the current teleport rituals in 4e don't do and targets a location that is basically unknown)

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
This needs more completely elaborated on.
  • Rehearsed Practices/Preparations - may involve karma point costs instead of a healing surge cost if you wish to maintain them beyond the day of rehearsal. These operate analogous to a scroll or potion and for some bring time to perform down to a standard action.
Some practices already create an ongoing thing like The Perfect Escape (which could be called create escape route) which will tend to last protracted periods but are in effect a one use magic item with a location limitation removing that location limit seems possible see the boy scout ultimate preparedness or perhaps via swapping into a Utility Power Slot.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases