Eadric et. al. (The Paladin and his Friends).

Justin

Explorer
Sepulchrave,

I have a question about Mostin's Quiescence of the Spheres. It states that "[f]orms of movement barred include ... psionic abilities." Was the psionic part added just for completeness or do you actually have psionics in the campaign? I don't ever recall a reference to psionics, but considering this story is longer than A Song of Ice and Fire, I could have missed it. :p

Keep the great stuff coming!

Thanks,
Justin

Asha'man

First Post
I suppose you never know what could come slithering out of Uzzhin. Either that, or things like a couatl's Psionic SLAs need to be warded off separately from normal SLAs.

Erevanden

Explorer
Sepulchrave,

While digging through the thread this morning (to satisfy my senses with all the stuff you made so far :D), I stumbled upon something I'd like you to comment (hopefully without ruining any schedule you established for your next posts, if any ;)):

1) Sovereign manifestations of Oronthon - Mistresses of the Veils
These entities seem to be contradictions to one another, is that at least remotely true (are there as many Mistresses as there are Sovereign Manifestations, do they share conflicting thematics), do the Mistresses have been given names (by the cult of Cheshne, as with other beings/phenomena like Shvar Choryati) ??

2) Great Primordial Fears (Ambabhitis), Primordial Fears (Bhitis) - there seems to be a countless number of these entities
There are many Bhitis (there are many fears), arranged in many families.
, how many did you create and use during the campaign, is there any hierarchy/graph associated with them, will any other appear in the SH (we have Visuit and Kalaanala so far) ??

3) Ok, this I noticed only some minutes ago, and it scared the bejesus out of me

[Image] Graz’zt + [Image] a black tower + [Image] a satyr (or was it Titivilus?) + [Fear]
Nothingness + [Image] peasant girl + [Image] a huge bird + [Incomprehensible] void + [Image] Steeple + [Image] dragon + [Image] a dreamscape: the Claviger; Jovol; Soneillon. [Image] the forest perishing +
[Smell] acid + [Image] Lukarn + [Image] a million tiny stars + [Image] the Horror + [Fear] the Horror + [Terror] the Horror + [Image] a hundred souls, confined, deranged, screaming and gibbering + [Image] Vhorzhe + [Voice] saizha, Mostin?
Mostin quailed, and fled back to the bounded cosmos.

This came from one of your posts back in 2003

"Certainly. That is why I called you. Some topics must presently remain taboo, however. With which did you apprentice when you were Outside?"

Soneillon laughed. "You would not believe me if I told you."

"An entity of some reputation, I assume?"

"Something hidden, Mostin."

"Then this I must know," Mostin said wrily.

"Vhorzhe," Soneillon whispered. "My sponsor is Vhorzhe, Mostin."

The Alienist gaped at her.

"I told you that you wouldn't believe me."

"No," Mostin said grimly; the solutions to a number of nagging equations had already presented themselves in his mind. "I believe you well enough. You found a Pseudodaemonic Infinity."

"You should be more careful when targeting your banishments, Mostin. I didn't even have to look."

"The spell is named Pilgrimage," Mostin said bitterly. "An apt descriptor in your case, or so it would appear. Trust me Soneillon, were necromancy within my purview, I'd have happily obliterated you instead."

She smiled coyly. "Mostin, sometimes you speak such charming words."

"Nor did I name any particular pseudolocus for the spell. I find the prospect of coincidence improbable."

"To discover that one has been manipulated by an unknown agent is never a happy moment," Soneillon's eyes narrowed.

And this was from 13 december 2009

Is this what I think it is - you've planted seeds for this particular scene (or should I say "revelation") six years before it happened in the game proper !!??

Please make a response (any will do :heh:)

Thank you !!

Last edited:

Justin said:
Was the psionic part added just for completeness or do you actually have psionics in the campaign?

Looks like a cut'n'paste from dimensional lock. But psionics are not precluded from the campaign re. certain Urgic traditions.

Erevanden said:
Sovereign manifestations of Oronthon - Mistresses of the Veils. These entities seem to be contradictions to one another, is that at least remotely true

Only insofar as they are both sets of Intermediate powers. There is no correspondence as regards concerns. They might be considered approximately equal in their weight of 'total cosmic gravitas,' assuming the equation:

7 x DvR15s = 11 x DvR13s

Holds true.

That said, assuming that Cheshne (in her dormant state) and Oronthon's Radiant Form possess 26 and 30 DvRs respectively, it is reasonable to suppose that each is capable of effluxing or emanating up to 80 Intermediate powers if the avatar ratios in Deities and Demigods are extended from DvR 21 - 25 and then from DvR 26 - 30: each additional 5 DvR 'block' represents a new "level of significance" (for want of a better term), and a doubling of the number of potential avatars.

do the Mistresses have... given names

No. Nor are they worshipped - in that regard I guess they resemble the Sovereignties. They speak only to the Mouthpiece (Anumid).

Great Primordial Fears (Ambabhitis), Primordial Fears (Bhitis) - there seems to be a countless number of these entities

Yes. There are lots. The Ambabhitis are 'familial' effluxions of (an unknown number of) Apparitions, which are themselves either:

a) Unrealized Aeons, which exist only as potentiality in the Mind of Oronthon or;

b) An awakened Cheshne's avatars;

c) Demogorgon's avatars

Depending on one's perspective.

The lesser bhitis (like Visuit) are not linked to any particular scheme of emanation/effluxion.

Is this what I think it is - you've planted seeds for this particular scene (or should I say "revelation") six years before it happened in the game proper !!??

More like 3-4. The SH is a long way behind. But Vhorzhe was always in the back of my mind (and Mostin's) as a potential antagonist.

Erevanden

Explorer
[BIG GASP] :D:D [BIG GASP]

First, let me sincerely thank you for such a quick answer, I appreciate it very much, especially knowing how valuable your time is !! :)

Second, whoahhh, three years, seems I'm still at padawan level here ;)

Third, gonna pester you about the spoilers a little bit more :blush: - since the Talions appeared on more than one occasion in the SH, I'll repeat my query from last year (or maybe earlier, whatever :angel:), I still remember yours "lawful equivalent to half-celestial template on steroids" :eek:

And, btw, I really appreciate your answer Sep, you are something of an ideal a DM of my views should pursue to attain the next level of mastery :)

Last edited:

tleilaxu

First Post
i calculate mostin to have 4 epic spells not three.

epic spells are determined by knowledge(arcana) / 10 (rounded down)
mostin's knowledge(arcana) is +61 (6 epic spells)
however, mostin is under a +30 intelligence boost from first rite of cognition, which does not provide additional spell slots (giving him 64 int instead of 34)
therefore, without this boost mostin's knowledge arcana is only +46 (-15 ranks of skills from a loss of 30 intelligence point, every two of which provided a +1).
46/10 (rounded down) is 4, not 3.

shouldn't mostin have a fourth epic spell?

I think it's 33 (ranks) +27 (Int bonus) +1 (Ioun stone) = +61.

Ranks are what's important. 4th epic spell slot always comes at 37th level, assuming Knowledge (arcana) is maxed out.

Remove ads