D&D 5E Stranger Things 2 doubles down on D&D

darjr

I crit!
I recognize the Erol Otis cover Basic Edition and a cover of an old TSR catalogue. What do you see?
Millie+Bobby+Brown+Premiere+Netflix+Stranger+9SY5xRDqd-xl.jpg
https://www.instagram.com/p/BWfqJx-lt0S/?hl=en

Saw it on Stan Shins G+

https://plus.google.com/+StanShinn/posts/gQf28ZKzpFm

Last edited:

Iosue

Legend
Map for Keep on the Borderlands. Specifically, it's the Caves of Chaos from the aforementioned module.

Looks like the module itself is underneath the Moldvay Basic rules. The catalog is also the one that came with the Moldvay Basic set.

Yaarel

He Mage
Is this the 70s?

All those oranges and browns looks about right.

Heh. Its like a win or die-trying rebellion against the pastels of the 50s.

Yaarel

He Mage
Stranger Things is set in the 1980s.

80s?

Heh. But where are the big hair rock bands? The graphics design art work? The puffy jackets? Spandex? And goth?

What else did that era have? Maybe the D&D players were behind the cutting edge of fashion?

guachi

Hero
80s?

Heh. But where are the big hair rock bands? The graphics design art work? The puffy jackets? Spandex? And goth?

What else did that era have? Maybe the D&D players were behind the cutting edge of fashion?

I think Stranger Things is set in 1983 for season one, so most of those hadn't happened yet. There was a large change in fashion between 1982 and 1986.

Big Hair rock bands would be 1987 or so.

I'm not certain what you had in mind with 'graphic design artwork'. All those Nagel posters? That is definitely 1982-1984, mostly because Nagel died in 1984.

Musically, for season one especially you'd have had piles of Michael Jackson and Cyndi Lauper and Second British Invasion artists. For season two, you'd have a final burst of synthpop with the famous Beverly Hills Cop theme coming in December of 1984 (season starts in October) and the single being released in March '85. Also, you'd have gotten the full force of Madonna in season two.

The over the top fashion of 1983 and 1984 would be moving towards more straight-laced attire as the Reagan '80s hit their stride. By the start of season 3 we should have Miami Vice and all the fashion and music that came with that. The last instrumental Billboard #1 was the Miami Vice theme.

Spandex and jazzercise was mid to late '80s with all of the pastel horror. Sure, there was spandex on pop stars earlier than that but spandex on everyone else was 1986 or so.

As to goth, I always associated that with later '80s early '90s like when The Cure hit it big in 1987. Before that (1980-1984), it would have been punk and spiky hair best exemplified by the Mad Max movies.

Is that more information than you really wanted?

Remove ads