Major Magic Items - Underwhelming?

molonel

First Post
No, I'm not talking about the warhammer from White Plume Mountain, either.

I'm in a campaign that is closing fast on 20th level. After producing a lot of magic items for a fellow player, I have recently come into a fair amount of cash. Since I have already invested in most of the obligatory magic items, like +5 inherent stat bumps in major stats, +6 items in those stats, armor, weapons, survival "must haves" like a +5 cloak of resistance, etc., I started thumbing through the major majic items (rings, wands, wonderous items). I'm looking for something which isn't survival-based or necessary, but mainly for pure coolness factor. After all, we're trying to create characters which will live on in the home-brewed world after we're gone.

Has anyone else ever looked through some of the really big ticket, major magic items and felt EXTREMELY underwhelmed? I'm talking about items that are 125,000 gp or more in base cost.

1. Apparatus of Kwalish - AC 20, 200 hit points, 2 pincers with +12 to attack each. Given most of the creatures we face at this point, my first thought was, "Hulk smash puny iron barrel!"
2. Iron Flask - A Will save DC 19? I can't fathom spending 170,000 gp, or making it for half that + XP costs, in order to pray, "Please roll a natural 1! Please, let him roll a natural 1!" every time I used it.
3. Ioun stones. Wow. AC 24, 10 hit points, hardness 5. One swipe turns a magic item worth up to 40,000 gp into crumbled powder.
4. Helm of Brilliance - for 157,000 gp, you get the benefits of a Ring of Resistance (Major) - Fire, _and_ a Will save DC 15 every time you take more than 30 points of magical fire damage or the thing blows up on your head. Plus four lackluster powers that work ONCE each, like a 10d6 fireball! Woohoo! Sign me up!

I know there are a lot of interesting, flavorful items, and I can even see a use for things like the Apparatus, but has anyone else ever had this extreme underwhelming experience when they finally get the cash to think about luxury items?

At the risk of reopening the "Is D&D too magic-heavy" can of worms (wyrms? ;)), I think part of the problem comes from the sheer prevalence of magic items even at lower levels.

A lot of the high-level stuff is really cool. But I think some of it is of the "Man, we need to make something noteworthy, but not so powerful that it'll overbalance things" school. When characters already have magic weapons and staves and what-not at 15th level, what do you do for an encore at 20th? The designers had to find things that were worth having at high levels, but weren't so amazingly powerful that they were game-breakers. I think they did a good job with a lot of 'em--but some duds, as you pointed out, did slip through.

(Of course, "dud" is a subjective term. It's entirely possible that some folks think powerful ioun stones are the bee's knees. Personally, I can't stand the things, but I happily admit that's just my opinion. And heck, I like the Aparatus of Kwalish, even if I've never gotten to use it. :))

tetsujin28

First Post
The Apparatus of Kwalish is the greatest magic item. Ever. I haven't seen the Kwalish Kid post here in forever, but I'm sure he'd agree.

But seriously, at 20th level you're really in artefact land. You need something like a Hammer of Thunderbolts or the like.

Endur

First Post
Remember many of these items were at one time uber-powerful, and then they were nerfed, but their price tag remained the same.

A good example is the vorpal ability. The 3.0 Vorpal ability costs the same as the 3.5 vorpal ability, but the 3.0 keen vorpal scimitar in the hands of a weaponmaster threatened to chop off your head on a 10+, whereas the 3.5 vorpal scimitar can only chop off your head on a natural 20.

The hammer of thunderbolts once upon a time didn't allow any saving throw for a giant, now the bigger giants need only fear rolling a 1.

etc., etc.

James McMurray

First Post
molonel said:
I'm in a campaign that is closing fast on 20th level. After producing a lot of magic items for a fellow player, I have recently come into a fair amount of cash. Since I have already invested in most of the obligatory magic items, like +5 inherent stat bumps in major stats,

How are you fast approching 20th level after blowing 25,500 xp per pop on items granting +5 inherent bonuses to stats?

molonel

First Post
"How are you fast approching 20th level after blowing 25,500 xp per pop on items granting +5 inherent bonuses to stats?"

137,500 gp is the by-the-book price for purchasing such an item. I didn't make them myself.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases