O.L.D. Errata Document

easl

Explorer
Wow, those are some pretty major changes! Most of the character concepts I've messed around with made heavy use of the racial attribute exchange option (though weirdly enough, not the hook exchange). I will have to go back and see if they work with the new system. The changes to size and shield defense are also pretty significant. Though I'm liking the more flexibility given to the two 'find an item in your pocket' exploits.

Two suggestions (...that other players may hate me for...)
1. I'm surprised you didn't take a second look at longsword damage. It's always seemed to me to be 1d6 higher than most comparable weapons, and is also not consistent with 1-H sword damage from NEW.
2. The rules for building 'small' versions of weapons seems odd, unnecessary, and gives small PCs a weird advantage. If a smallfolk or a dwarf wants to take a small version of a longsword, that is a shortsword. No other stats are needed. Why let them buy what is effectively a 3d6+2 weapon which is more concealable and less weight than the regular version? It makes no sense; if you use a smaller weapon, it's going to have less leverage and (in general) do less damage. It's a shortsword. And so on with axes and clubs and the like. Sure in some cases it may be worthwhile to come up with small versions of odd weapons, but they should never really be mechanically superior to the bigger versions, and currently, they always are (because they're lighter and presumably more concealable but have no downsides).

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The smaller weapons thing went back and forth several times during playtests. That was a couple of years ago, mind you. The overall feeling was that though it may be more realistic, it nerfed small characters too much.

Dalamar

Adventurer
Did I understand the errata correctly, that there is no longer any reason to choose an attribute relating to a character's Hook since the option to substitute the Hook's attribute for a career's attribute increase is no more?

Also, does the limit of not being able to gain combat benefits from your Hook still apply?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yes, there is no change to the restriction on gaining combat benefits. No "... who enjoys target shooting!"

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
No, the exploding dice rule replaces the hook skill dice rule.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

easl

Explorer
[Me before] Hey Morrus, do you think you will be implementing similar changes to NEW and NOW?

Strike that, I see you already did!

As an aside, your Errata has errata. Under "Sylvan Elves" it says "Grand Elves gain..." and "Grand Elf character..." Your copy and paste is busted! :)

Last edited:

Dalamar

Adventurer
This seems like a good place to ask, so: for the life of me, I can't find the reference but I could swear the general rule was that you round down unless otherwise noted. Is that the case, or have I been playing too much DnD?

easl

Explorer
Defense scores are dice pool x3.5, rounded up (reference is page 56, OLD). The Squire exploit that allows you to take half your charges' damage rounds it down (OLD page 47). When you defeat an opponent of 'half grade' you get half experience, rounded down (OLD page 58).

So, in conclusion, there doesn't appear to be a 'general rule'.

Remove ads