5E The Best Sound In The World
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Member
    Pit Fiend (Lvl 26)



    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Aloha, or
    Posts
    5,686

    The Best Sound In The World

    My son plays a lot of video game online. He's 16, as are most of his friends. I've played D&D with him a few times, but he's never had the focus to keep playing for more than a couple hours. He would rather play video games. And I don't believe in forcing my kids to engage in an activity that I really like if they aren't into it.

    Yesterday he came up to me and asked me for my books, because one of his other friends suggested they play D&D. None of them ever had before. My eyebrows immediately went up in interest. He had forgot almost everything about the game, so it was brand new for him too in a way. And here he was, going to be the DM and teach the other players who have never opened a book how to play.

    I know what you're thinking. You're probably thinking, "This is a perfect opportunity for me to be the DM and teach these guys." right?

    Nope. Even when he'd come out every once in a while and ask, "How do we get our stats?" or "What is alignment for?", I wouldn't give him an answer. I'd refer him to the book. When he asked for an adventure to play, I gave him LMOP from the starter box and he said, "Man, there is soooooo much reading to do, especially as the DM!" The only advice I gave him was, "Don't feel like you have to memorize every rule. Only pay attention to the rules you think are fun. Go ahead and ignore the rest. Don't let rules or lack of knowledge of rules get in the way or to stop you from having fun."

    ...................


    Over the course of the next few hours, I hear a ton of laughter. These guys were playing D&D, with no experience, having a blast just trying to figure things out on their own and going wild. They didn't care if they were following all the rules or not, and in fact I'm pretty sure they were doing a lot of things RAW incorrectly. It reminded me of when I was a kid and learning, because it was the same thing---we all learned together.

    It's a reminder that the game is a social game, and not a game where you have to follow all the rules. That their imagination is more important than any one rule.

    So that is the best sound in the world: A group of brand new players not brought in by anyone else, but by themselves, laughing and having fun playing a game where they don't care if a rule was followed or not if it meant they had a memorable encounter.

    Honestly, I don't remember the last time I saw new players enter the game without someone who was experienced bringing them in or teaching them, but figuring it out on their own like we did in the late 70s early 80s
    XP hawkeyefan, cmad1977, Bitbrain, Old Bones, Barolo and 17 others gave XP for this post

  2. #2
    Member
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)



    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,410
    That's a really cool story! I think you made a smart choice by not getting involved and letting it be their thing.

  3. #3
    Member
    Pit Fiend (Lvl 26)



    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Aloha, or
    Posts
    5,686
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyefan View Post
    That's a really cool story! I think you made a smart choice by not getting involved and letting it be their thing.
    I think so too. Even though I know my son pretty well, I don't know his friends all that well in the context of knowing what type of gaming style they would like the most. I didn't want to unduly influence them by injecting my own preferences. Much better that they discover their own preferences. The number 1 goal of the game is to have fun, right? And by the sounds I was hearing, it sure sounded like it.
    XP cmad1977 gave XP for this post

  4. #4
    Member
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)



    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,410
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacrosanct View Post
    I think so too. Even though I know my son pretty well, I don't know his friends all that well in the context of knowing what type of gaming style they would like the most. I didn't want to unduly influence them by injecting my own preferences. Much better that they discover their own preferences. The number 1 goal of the game is to have fun, right? And by the sounds I was hearing, it sure sounded like it.
    Yup. I remember the times I had at that time in my life with my friends, and how we learned the game as we played, and how we became really good friends because of it. I still play with those friends to this day.

    I don't think we would have been better off with a more experienced player kind of taking over. Especially if it was an adult.

  5. #5
    Member
    Time Agent (Lvl 24)



    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    4,168
    DMing for kids can be fun ... when they ask you to do it for them. In this case you made the right call and it sounds like the kids were having fun learning the game.

    Always good to hear about the next generation being indoctrinated introduced to the game.

  6. #6
    Member
    The Great Druid (Lvl 17)



    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Ft Wayne IN
    Posts
    3,042
    Aw, c'mon, give the new players a break - at least point them to the chapter in the book where the answer to their question lies.

    Good story; well done.
    Hope they keep on playing.
    XP KahlessNestor gave XP for this post

  7. #7
    Member
    Pit Fiend (Lvl 26)



    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Aloha, or
    Posts
    5,686
    Quote Originally Posted by Eltab View Post
    Aw, c'mon, give the new players a break - at least point them to the chapter in the book where the answer to their question lies.

    Good story; well done.
    Hope they keep on playing.
    My son is 16. I feel like a failure as a parent because apparently he doesn't know how to use a glossary or index.

    Kids these days, with the Google this and google that. Get off my lawn!
    Laugh KahlessNestor laughed with this post

  8. #8
    Member
    The Great Druid (Lvl 17)



    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    2,324
    Today you win the internet.

  9. #9
    Member
    Pit Fiend (Lvl 26)



    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Aloha, or
    Posts
    5,686
    Oh my lord! Apparently one of his friends is playing a rock gnome barbarian. Zach (my son) told him, "Just so you know, I will roll for it at one point to see if you're eaten."

    They're off to a great start! I did, however warn him not to be a jerk DM, because he'll lose all his friends

  10. #10
    Member
    Superhero (Lvl 15)



    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Portland, OR, USA
    Posts
    1,727
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacrosanct View Post
    My son plays a lot of video game online. He's 16, as are most of his friends. I've played D&D with him a few times, but he's never had the focus to keep playing for more than a couple hours. He would rather play video games. And I don't believe in forcing my kids to engage in an activity that I really like if they aren't into it.

    Yesterday he came up to me and asked me for my books, because one of his other friends suggested they play D&D. None of them ever had before. My eyebrows immediately went up in interest. He had forgot almost everything about the game, so it was brand new for him too in a way. And here he was, going to be the DM and teach the other players who have never opened a book how to play.

    I know what you're thinking. You're probably thinking, "This is a perfect opportunity for me to be the DM and teach these guys." right?

    Nope.
    Good call.

    Even when he'd come out every once in a while and ask, "How do we get our stats?" or "What is alignment for?", I wouldn't give him an answer. I'd refer him to the book.
    Here, however, I think you missed an opportunity.

    "Make an Investigation check."
    Laugh KahlessNestor laughed with this post

Similar Threads

  1. Tabletop Gaming Quick Hits: Burning Dungeon World, Company Hirings and Pathfinder Sound Packs
    By Christopher Helton in forum *General Roleplaying Games Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Saturday, 16th January, 2016, 06:43 PM
  2. [Stargate SG-1] New world and antagonists -- how do they sound?
    By SurfMonkey01 in forum *General Roleplaying Games Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Wednesday, 1st June, 2005, 09:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •