The Orville - Season 1

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
So, your thought? I enjoyed it. It was better than I thought it would be, yes the dialog could have been better but it is a tongue in cheek show. Looking forward to episode 2 and the rest of the season.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Watched the end. Liked that the "Chekhov's Gun" in the first half was used less for comedy and more for badassery.

Not sold on the show, but liked what I saw enough to watch Ep.2.

I like the presentation. I'm a fan of serious drama shows that are made comedic through personalities and dialogue, rather than situational or physical comedy. Where you could redub the show and make it serious.Like Ghostbusters. Or half the episodes of Red Dwarf.
I love that it really felt and looked like Star Trek, only with more flawed characters. It looked great.

It also very much felt like a pilot, getting all the character interactions and introductions out of the way.

I imagine 3-4 rough episodes as they try to find their groove. After that, it has some serious potential.

TreChriron

Adventurer
Supporter
I liked it enough to see where it goes. The music was so Star Trek Next Generation/Deep Space 9 I was having flashbacks. The outros were spot on! Has potential. I love how they insert the "real" into the Star Trek meme with things like - "we're not getting out of here at 5 are we?" - "Can I drink soda on the bridge, our last captain was cool with it."

Orius

Legend
It was entertaining enough, had a pretty strong Trek vibe to it. The characters feel more, I dunno, real? than the crew members from the modern Trek series. But then it's got Brannon Braga as one of the producers (is that why we have a holodeck scene in the first episode? :]), and the doctor played Kasidy Yates on DS9, so that just ups the Trek vibe (come to think of it, didn't that head scientist guy play Bashir's dad too?). Those bad guys look like a mis-mash of several "bad guy" Trek species too.

I did have one horrible, horrible thought about 10 minutes into the show though.

IT'S ON FOX

Fox: the station that gives Sci-Fi a chance in the most half-assed bassackward method imaginable and then wonders why it fails.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It’s gotten *terrible* reviews. No hint of it being shown over here though.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases