The Orville - Season 1

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Another case of the command crew going in where several exploration teams should have gone.

I would so love a sci-fi show to focus on traditional military style structured away teams. The various Stargate series came closest, but too often in even in that franchise, higher-ranked or invaluable personnel were sent into dangerous situations.

CapnZapp

Legend
Another quibble: Another case of the command crew going in where several exploration teams should have gone.
That's not a quibble, that's a horse so beaten to death it has turned to dust, become an ocean floor, risen into mighty mountains, then reformed into a second horse.

Which we have also beaten to death.

In other words, it's an integral assumption built right into the atoms of Trekness.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

CapnZapp

Legend
One thing I like is that characters do not have flawless recollection of the distant path. IOW, not everyone is an amateur historian. We've already seen characters unable to properly recall historical/factual dates, events, cities & people.
Him the pilot certainly isn't.

What was the capital of the United States of America?

The Moon? 😁

CapnZapp

Legend
As for getting shot, I imagine some of that was the Worf Effect: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheWorfEffect
Without checking the link, isn't the Worf Effect how useless Worf is. He's supposed to be the competent security officer and a strong Klingon warrior to boot.

Yet, that manifests itself exceedingly few times.

Most of the time his advice is ignored and for the better. He's consistently beaten, making Picardy and Riker looking good when they later beat the foe. His strength and Klingon ways never do him any good, while his inflexibility and set ways are often emphasized as inferior to the "warm patrician ways" of Picard ☺

In this context, I would say getting shot wasn't the Worf Effect.

She really benefited from her Worfian traits. Her super strength has been showcased EVERY episode so far.

And when you add her nervousness and Tequila vulnerability (it's not the Worf effect if you lose because you have humanizing weaknesses, it's the Worf effect when the show only uses your supposed strengths to elevate antagonists instead of, like, you ever winning) I'd say she's already a much more interesting and well realized character than Worf, and that while the Worf effect might still threaten the character, I'd like to argue it hasn't happened just yet. ☺

CapnZapp

Legend
I also want them to do more with Yaphit or ditch the character. I like Norm MacDonald, but his character so far seems an afterthought.
I think that's the joke. Having an absurd character do one thing and one thing alone: try to get into the pants of a clearly uninterested taking-no-slack Doctor 😁

PS I don't know this Norm so I have no expectations based on the voice actor.

Instead I'm thinking of Meg in Family Guy. You take one of the coolest and sexiest female actresses alive... And then give her the most underused and unappreciated character ever.

And THEN you keep up that joke for, what, ten years straight?

I don't think this Yaphit is going anywhere... 😁

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend
I think that's the joke. Having an absurd character do one thing and one thing alone: try to get into the pants of a clearly uninterested taking-no-slack Doctor 😁

PS I don't know this Norm so I have no expectations based on the voice actor.

Instead I'm thinking of Meg in Family Guy. You take one of the coolest and sexiest female actresses alive... And then give her the most underused and unappreciated character ever.

And THEN you keep up that joke for, what, ten years straight?

I don't think this Yaphit is going anywhere... 😁

Interesting comment on Norm MacDonald, especially given your follow-up comment. He's a Canadian standup comedian who, among other things, was the original voice of Death on Family Guy.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Also, "Burt Reynolds" in SNL's Celebrity Jeopardy sketches.
[video=youtube;PaFSkWfFhO0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaFSkWfFhO0&sns=em[/video]

[video=youtube;ImaYMoTi2g8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImaYMoTi2g8&sns=em[/video]

Last edited:

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
In TV’s own star wars, both Fox’s “The Orville” and CBS’ “Star Trek: Discovery” launched into similar orbits.

The two shows opened solid, a few weeks apart, on their respective live, linear broadcast networks. But in live+3 ratings (which includes three days of DVR and video on-demand usage), both premieres scored an identical total viewer average: 10.6 million each.

Fox’s “The Orville” was at least a light year ahead in the adults 18-49 demo, however, opening to a strong 3.5 rating — compared to the decent, but less stellar, 2.1 rating for “Star Trek: Discovery.”

Both shows premiered on a Sunday, but it’s not quite an apples-to-apples comparison: “Orville” benefited from a direct NFL lead-in (on Sept. 10), while “Discovery” premiered behind “60 Minutes” (on Sept. 24). Also, “Discovery” has been promoted as a CBS All Access property, and the Eye’s digital platform generated record sign-ups in time for the launch of the latest “Star Trek” chapter — which means many fans probably watched it on that outlet.

From this point on, ratings don’t really matter for “Discovery” any more — subscription levels and retention will be what CBS All Access is looking at. (They’ll be dissecting viewership internally, but much like Netflix, Amazon and Hulu, those ratings won’t be shared with the media or the general public.)

It’s a much different story for “The Orville,” which must now battle it out on Thursday nights. In its first regular time slot outing, on Sept. 21, the results were promising: The show averaged 6.3 million viewers in live+3, and a 1.8 rating with adults 18-49, making it Fox’s highest-rated Thursday 9 p.m. telecast in more than two years.

After two weeks behind football, “The Orville” will now settle in on Thursdays with a smaller lead-in and lower ratings expectations. But Fox execs are pleased with the sampling the show got at launch: According to the network, which recently saw the live+7 day (which includes a week’s worth of DVR and VOD usage) numbers, “The Orville” was Fox’s most-viewed drama debut since “Empire” in 2015, and the highest-rated drama launch among any broadcast network in adults 18-49 since ABC’s “Designated Survivor” last September.

Meanwhile, despite naysayers claiming NFL ratings have been damaged by #TakeAKnee, the top programs on TV for the week ending Sept. 24 were Sunday Night Football in both adults 18-49 and total viewers. FX’s “American Horror Story: Cult” continues to see massive time-shifted gains, jumping 102% between its live broadcast and three days later. And NBC’s “The Good Place” returned for Season 2 in a good place.
As for the latest on-demand viewership chart from Xfinity, it appears viewers were looking to catch up on “Will & Grace” on the eve of its return, and have also rediscovered HBO’s “Big Little Lies” after the limited-run series’ big Emmy win. Other new shows making waves: PBS’ “The Vietnam War” documentary series, Fox’s “The Orville,” and HBO’s “The Deuce.

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/09/or...gs-watch-week-ending-september-24-1201882187/

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
How Rotten Tomatoes has it - also Star Trek

Attachments

• orville.JPG
    orville.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 151
  • STDiscovery.JPG
    STDiscovery.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 162

Remove ads