The Orville - Season 1

CapnZapp

Legend
Finally we're back to discussing, y'know, the actual topic.

I guess I agree to reviews giving this week's episode a middling score.

The idea was ripe for setting up the away team for much more hilarious situations. There was way too much focus on the Debbie Downer seriousness.

Though I don't understand those getting angry they weren't prepared enough.

Previous eps have conclusively shown the Union to be a pretty presumptuous and reckless society. They sure don't put a lot of focus on research or respect - cue all the car rental jokes from last time.

In that context, that laMarr wouldn't take things seriously was never surprising.

Still, there should have been more jokes and awkward situations for the whole team - Palicki in hot jeans and tee, and they did nothing, goddammit - they kind of threw away that opportunity with the super-serious (and honestly, pretty lame) social media "critique"...

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Ryujin

Legend
With the talk still going on with election hacking/manipulation by the DNC, and here the Orville is doing their own digital media influencing to get the results they want.

I found the timing to be... ironic.

The episode does raise some interesting issues.

Electronic voting.

Voting by public/personal opinion over facts.

Correction (brain washing) as punishment.

Having one's citizens "tagged" for social order.

The one-sidedness of television/talk shows/etc.

These are serious topics, and one I am glad The Orville does touch upon.

And that we get to see other members of the crew as the focal point of the show is great. Afterall, the show is more than just the Captain & first mate (oh bad pun here).

- Opinion masquerading as fact
- Social media pile-on effect

Remove ads