The Orville - Season 1

Ryujin

Legend
Am I misremembering things,or are you?

Wasn't the take of the Menagerie that the super advanced aliens managed to save a single woman from a horrible crash, but only in a horribly disfugred state that made her unable to live without their assistance - and so they created a nice artificial environment for her to keep her happy - and they decided that adding Pike to it would complete her experience.

It wasn't really a Zoo arrangement, was it?

No, you're remembering correctly. Through the episode Pike thinks that they are being held as exhibit specimens, or as an "Adam and Eve" to a race of human slaves. The reality only becomes apparent at the end of the episode.

Richards

Legend
I'm a little confused. If an "all male" species lays eggs, and the egg isn't just a clone of the one who laid it (as the other "male" member of the species was apparently part of the process), that really isn't an "all male" species, is it? Aren't we actually talking about a hermaphroditic species here?

But I guess that wouldn't let them make a "leaving the toilet seat up" joke in episode one. Maybe I've just answered my own question.

Johnathan

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I'm a little confused. If an "all male" species lays eggs, and the egg isn't just a clone of the one who laid it (as the other "male" member of the species was apparently part of the process), that really isn't an "all male" species, is it? Aren't we actually talking about a hermaphroditic species here?

But I guess that wouldn't let them make a "leaving the toilet seat up" joke in episode one. Maybe I've just answered my own question.

Johnathan
In fairness, he said it was impossible.... So they might all think it is an all male species.. or maybe it has been, and an evolutionary leap just happened? Or maybe it used to be both, hasn't been, and now is? In situations like this, I assume something unexpected is happening, and embrace it.

Johnathan
We might find out.
A mono-gendered species wouldn't be female or male. They'd have a different term. But, since they look very masculine, you can see people referring to them as "male".
Or there could be other reasons we'll find out next episode...

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Or they could have lost their females long ago, but fortunately after they had sufficient technology to allow them to mix genes of males artificially in place of the usual natural way, avoiding becoming a race of clones (Sontarans) or simply dying out.

Ryujin

Legend
I have to say that tonight's episode was pretty solid. More serious than the previous two. It also answered the gender question.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases