D&D 5E Why D&D Can't Have a Good Video Game

Derren

Hero
Thread Necro number 2.

While D&D still struggles to get a good video game adaption after NWN2 the kickstarted Pathfinder: Kingmaker launched today and so far the reception is quite good.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I just bought the pathfinder game, looking forward to playing. I've recently been replaying some of the older baldur's gate and icewind dale games so I should enjoy giving this one a go.

gyor

Legend
Thread Necro number 2.

While D&D still struggles to get a good video game adaption after NWN2 the kickstarted Pathfinder: Kingmaker launched today and so far the reception is quite good.

Why can't 5e FR have a game of this quality? Instead 5e gets gets idle games and other sad substitutes.

Thread Necro number 2.

So far, around 40 people have reviewed on Metacritic, but not critics:
https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/pathfinder-kingmaker
(of those, only 8 bothered to post a review). Of those, the positives seem slightly biased, giving it a 10/10.
73% of the 390-odd reviews on Steam are positive. So that's not too bad.

Going to give it a few days to shift and settle as people get more than a half-dozen hours in.

Ristamar

Adventurer
Why can't 5e FR have a game of this quality? Instead 5e gets gets idle games and other sad substitutes.

Outside of a few notable exceptions, every "major" traditional CRPG release in recent years (Pillars of Eternity, Divinity: Original Sin, Torment: Tides of Numenera, etc) has been crowd funded. Unless Hasbro/WotC suddenly decides to go that route with the assistance of a respected/competent developer, I highly doubt we'll see a D&D branded game akin to the old classics any time in the near future.

gyor

Legend
Outside of a few notable exceptions, every "major" traditional CRPG release in recent years (Pillars of Eternity, Divinity: Original Sin, Torment: Tides of Numenera, etc) has been crowd funded. Unless Hasbro/WotC suddenly decides to go that route with the assistance of a respected/competent developer, I highly doubt we'll see a D&D branded game akin to the old classics any time in the near future.

What about Beamdog?

Ristamar

Adventurer
What about Beamdog?

With all due respect to Beamdog, they've mostly been applying a tune-up and fresh paint to old content that wasn't readily available on Steam. I imagine it's a hell of a lot cheaper to restore a respected classic like Baldur's Gate II than it is to engineer and create its spiritual successor from the ground up.

That being said, I'd still like to play Siege of Dragonspear and I hope they continue to develop meaty chunks of new content. However, I'm not expecting it to rival any of the games mentioned in my previous post.

It's difficult to compare Siege of Dragonspear to BG1, since the later was absolutely groundbreaking at the time. I think if BG1 where released today SoD would be considered superior, but it doesn't approach BG2 in terms of scale and ambition.

SoD does suffer from a design issue over the inability to backtrack, which is the fault of the plot, which attaches you to an army and makes you go where they go.

Currently downloading PF: Kingmaker. 45%...

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases