D&D 5E Tomb of Annihilation campaign recaps

Rabbitbait

Adventurer
Are the yuan-ti described as being as endless as the DM needs them to be? I think the general idea is to get Ras Nsi and Fenthaza to ultimately help the party, not actually try to kill all the yuan-ti, which would be nigh impossible for a mid level party. Hell, you could make a 10th level party suffer pretty bad if you wanted to, they couldn't deal with 60 snake people at once either.

I just ran it as I felt it would naturally happen. Once the alarm was raised and they realised where the threat was, a large number (but not all) of the yuan-ti and associates started heading towards the threat. The Hydra was also attracted by the sound of the thunderwave.

It could have played out far differently.

- if they had walked in through the front door for negotiations there would have been far more simmering threats and politics
- if they hadn't cast a thunderwave they may have been able to sneak through the complex
- if they had all been captured it might have gone to the slaves scenario
- if b'Urp had been evasive with Ras Nsi he could have been killed on the spot (leading to the others going to the slave scenario).
- if they had told Ras Nsi about Fenthaza's plan then it would have played out differently.

I've really enjoyed this scenario so far. So much of it is so dependent on the actions of the characters, but there are options for when it turns to custard.

However the two characters still trapped in the Fane are at the final part now - if they don't find a clever way to get past the yuan-ti then they will be killed. That will change the game as they have the final puzzle cube. Is it my role as DM to find the answer? Hell no. I hope they figure something out.

Nebulous

Legend
That will change the game as they have the final puzzle cube. Is it my role as DM to find the answer? Hell no. I hope they figure something out.

They usually do.

Speaking of puzzle cube, i thinking of having the grung King in Drungulung get possessed by nangnang and swell into a monster grung.

BeOmr2E.jpg

Last edited:

Nebulous

Legend
The party has been in Omu for 6 sessions now, and there's still lots of exploring to do. Ras Nsi is going to snag a couple of the puzzle cubes, but I want the PCs to explore some of the more fun locations, and I can remove some of the ones I don't like. I already took out the Shrine of Papazotl at Area #16. I hated the puzzle there! So frustrating. I actually told the players about it after that session and they were like WTF. Thanks for not making us do that.

Nebulous

Legend
Yuan Ti Malison Champion (CR 10?)

AC 19 (plate)
HP 150
Speed 30' Bonus Feat: Sentinel

Saves: Str +9, Con +6
SQ: Darkvision 60', 3x/day Suggestion, Indomitable x2, Second Wind (+20hp)

Greatsword (x3) +9, 2d6+5 +2d6 if not Bloodied
Shortbow (x3) +8, 1d6+2 +2d6 poison +2d6 if not Bloodied

Gear: Potion of Haste, Potion of Bless

Rabbitbait

Adventurer
The party has been in Omu for 6 sessions now, and there's still lots of exploring to do. Ras Nsi is going to snag a couple of the puzzle cubes, but I want the PCs to explore some of the more fun locations, and I can remove some of the ones I don't like. I already took out the Shrine of Papazotl at Area #16. I hated the puzzle there! So frustrating. I actually told the players about it after that session and they were like WTF. Thanks for not making us do that.

That's exactly the one I took out as well. And I had the red wizards take two of the other cubes. Most of the shrines were really cool, but a couple were a bit meh, so it's good that you could choose to remove them from the lineup.

CarolynDenton

First Post
I've been reading your reports for a while now and finally decided to join the forum and say "thank you". The stories you tell are great and this is one of the reasons I've decided to play D&D myself and made a couple of friends join me :)
Keep up the great work!

Nebulous

Legend
I've been reading your reports for a while now and finally decided to join the forum and say "thank you". The stories you tell are great and this is one of the reasons I've decided to play D&D myself and made a couple of friends join me :)
Keep up the great work!

Thanks! Welcome to the hobby!

Nebulous

Legend
That's exactly the one I took out as well. And I had the red wizards take two of the other cubes. Most of the shrines were really cool, but a couple were a bit meh, so it's good that you could choose to remove them from the lineup.

Yes, our RW have 2 as well. Another has been taken to Drungulung. I sort of merged the shrine of Nangnang encounter with Drungulung, it seemed logical. I will have the yuan-ti take one or two cubes, and I'll try to make it one of the less interesting puzzle shrines. I think #12 is one that can polymorph a character into an animal?? I'm definitely using that one!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases