D&D 5E Scientist background

Specifically from our world? There is a background in SCAG that is for people from unusual places. It would probably apply to anyone who had hopped dimensions.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
I might do:

Scientist
Skills: Investigation, medicine
Feature: Technologist: you know how to apply scientific principles to build simple machines, given suitable materials. When dealing with complex machines (including alien technology and the like), you can apply half your proficiency bonus to any checks involved. You can also apply half your proficiency bonus to checks involving any type of artisan's tools with which you are not otherwise proficient.

What sort of scientific equipment would you recommend for such a background?
The outlander scientist from our world background?
Technically your would probably get whatever they happened to have on them at the time they transferred into the D&D setting. This probably equates to trinkets and junk worth some curiosity value (since no connection or recharge capability), and an accurate timepiece.
Rather depends on the circumstances of them transferring. What does the outlander background normally give you?

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
How would you fine people build a scientist from our world as a background for 5th edition dnd?
With beakers and tubes from an alchemist's lab, various mechanical parts I found out in a barn, some dwarf-carved stones for bones ... oh and don't forget duct tape. Because duct tape fixes everything.

Wait a minute, you wanted some RULES? I've gotta clean up all this junk and think about that a little bit.

Mad_Jack

Legend
Depending on what sort of scientist they are, I'd probably give them proficiency in either astronomer's/navigation tools (physics/math) or alchemist's tools (chemistry, biology).

Otherwise, Jaelis's post seems about right. Their advanced knowledge would allow them to pick up the use of whichever set of tools would be closest to their scientific focus without trouble (assuming they hadn't already used them before), and to be able to fudge their way through most of the others.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases