D&D 5E Scientist background

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Depending on what sort of scientist they are, I'd probably give them proficiency in either astronomer's/navigation tools (physics/math) or alchemist's tools (chemistry, biology).

Otherwise, Jaelis's post seems about right. Their advanced knowledge would allow them to pick up the use of whichever set of tools would be closest to their scientific focus without trouble (assuming they hadn't already used them before), and to be able to fudge their way through most of the others.

I'd be willing to give them all three tools, but no languages (if really an outworlder)

Horwath

Legend
Scientist:

Skills: Nature, Medicine

Tools: Alchemist supplies, Herbalisam kit,

Feature: Knowledge from beyond: as you have knowledge far more advanced than even the best sages in this world, all rolls with skills and tools from this background are rolled with advantage.

This assumes that science works in your world, which is not a given. For example, in the game I run, the scientific method is not reliable. In short, magic messes with the laws of physics.

A 20th century scientist might be incredibly handicapped because their assumptions make them less abvle to deal with the fantasy world.

jgsugden

Legend
In my campaign world, I have a few extra intelligence skills. One is Science. People can use it to understand how the natural laws of the hard sciences apply. It is used t understand traditional firearms, unusual architecture, and a variety of other things where something relies upon advanced scientific knowledge.

Scientists are rare in my world, but they have an important role. This approach works ver wel in such a campaign.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
This assumes that science works in your world, which is not a given. For example, in the game I run, the scientific method is not reliable. In short, magic messes with the laws of physics.

A 20th century scientist might be incredibly handicapped because their assumptions make them less abvle to deal with the fantasy world.

The scientific method is a process of doing science and should be valid in any universe where nature operates in a stable manner and magic is reliable, which it is, by default in the D&D'verse. That does not mean that the laws are the same as the ones the scientist is familiar with.

The biggest issue most scientists would have, is unless they have some handy text books and lab manuals brought over with them is that they would spend a lifetime reinventing the foundations of maths and physics and maybe some of chemistry before they are of any use.

D1Tremere

Adventurer

How can you make the scientific method (Observe, Question, Hypothesis, Test, Reject/modify/strengthen) unreliable without throwing out the rules? The nature of the game makes the scientific method reliable, unless every caster is a wild mage and no structure exists to how skills/feats/attacks function.

The scientific method is a process of doing science and should be valid in any universe where nature operates in a stable manner and magic is reliable, which it is, by default in the D&D'verse. That does not mean that the laws are the same as the ones the scientist is familiar with.
Magical darkness. Heavier than air creatures able to fly without corresponding wing surface area. Flying castles and carpets and mages. Temperature variations of hundreds of degrees in less than a second, then reverting back with no residual effect. Variable gravity. Cursed locations that are actually cursed (not just Hollywood Haunted Houses). Gods that exist and affect the material world in response to who-knows-what. High-, low- and wild-magic zones. Flaming swords that consume no fuel or oxygen. Creatures that can change your atomic makeup simply by looking at you. Storms that pay no attention to meteorology. Stars that follow their own path. Astrology that actually works.

Nature in D&D is not stable.

How do you formulate laws of physics in a world where the outcome of experiments is subject to random factors (the whim of the gods, wild magic) or factors you can't perceive (a curse applied to an ancestor of one of your lab techs, an auspicious day in a religion you don't follow)?

Physical laws that include "might completely change or become irrelevant based on the items you are attuned to" and "might not work based on how the nearest god feels about the situation" aren't all that great at being predictable or testable. :cool:

abe ray

Explorer
On the other hand,science might help magic in some ways:example,wrap copper wire around a iron/steel statue/golem then cast shocking grasp on said wire creating a powerful electromagnet!

Remove ads