D&D 2E Is 5e Basically Becoming Pathfinder 2e?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
What's the point of hiding any of this?
I imagine it's because those restrictions looks damn offputting when spelled out like above, in a big block on a poster. They might be more tolerable if a rapport has already been established with the new player, and you might not even need to bring it up, if they decide to play a pure PHB character.

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
You insist on using D&D Beyond. I don't have that program and have no interest in using it. So, your ad, presuming you would put that restriction up front and center, would mean that I wouldn't waste your time or mine asking about your game.
That's OK, because I wouldn't accept someone like you as a player when you can't be bothered to even attempt to understand the thing that you're judging before judging it. DDB isn't a program. You've basically just told me that you're an inconsiderate time-waster. Thanks for the heads up.

Look, I used to build groups using VTT's.
Where'd the eyeroll emoji go?

Greg K

Legend
And, as time went on, my ad's for "Player Wanted" became more and more specific and less and less polite. To the point of it basically reading, "Look, here is EXACTLY the kind of game I'm running. Here are EXACTLY the requirements. If you do not match these, don't even bother."

And it worked perfectly. My current group has been together for almost ten years now. Longest group I've ever gamed with. Been fantastic. So, yeah, when advertising a new game, you have to be VERY specific. After all, you're going to spend dozens, if not hundreds of hours with a stranger. You NEED to find out if you're compatible at the table before you start.

Hussar, I like those rare times that I find myself agreeing you. This is, exactly, why I interview new players and let them know up front about my campaign including my setting and house rules. There is no reason for the player or myself wasting time if we are incompatible. My longest group gamed together from 1992-2004 until three players moved (two across country). My current group has been gaming together since 2007 with one player from that original group (it was two until a player moved to Ohio earlier this year) although we have been on hiatus for several month due to some work and school issues at my end. I am hoping to get something started with them again in December.

MechaPilot

Explorer
I have my fair share of restrictions, especially when I'm running a game in one of my homebrew settings (which is usually the case), and I'm always up-front with people about what those restrictions are. Being up-front about it is the best way to be. You avoid people showing up attached to playing something you'd never allow, you avoid having wasted their time and yours, you avoid people expecting content you won't allow, and you avoid people having to spend extra time at the session making new characters because you didn't deign to tell them what you'd allow (or not) or check their character for suitability over e-mail.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Pretty sure Pathfinder has more official rule material published in a six month timeframe than 5E has in three and a half years, so...nope.

Pretty sure Pathfinder has more official rule material published in a six month timeframe than 5E has in three and a half years, so...nope.
We're about to get the first expansion of classes in two years, with the 27 new subclasses. Each of which takes up roughly a page to a page and a half. So <32 pages.

Paizo puts out 32 pages of content for players every month with their Player Companions product line. But not all of those books are new rules content, just most. Plus there is also the monthly adventure paths and bi-monthly Campaign Setting books.
So it's fair to say that in a two month window, Paizo released more rules than D&D has seen in the last two years.

Hussar

Legend
That's OK, because I wouldn't accept someone like you as a player when you can't be bothered to even attempt to understand the thing that you're judging before judging it. DDB isn't a program. You've basically just told me that you're an inconsiderate time-waster. Thanks for the heads up.

Where'd the eyeroll emoji go?

Umm, what would you call it then if not a program? Database? Online character archive? Whatever the hell you want to call it, I'm not signing up for it, don't use it and want nothing to do with it. Wow, I'm an inconsiderate time waster? Ok... sure.

But, yeah, with that kind of reaction? Yup, I'd be heading for the hills.

BTW, why the eyeroll? When I started out using VTT's in 2002, with OpenRPG, you could set up a room for interviewing new players. It was actually the most effective way to advertise your game and screen new players.

Now, those players that I gathered through OpenRPG moved on to Maptools, where you could still set up rooms for advertising new games, or use their forums for finding players. Granted, in the past couple of years, we moved on to Fantasy Grounds and that wouldn't work for finding new players, but, I did use VTT's for advertising my games and finding new players for about 12 years or so.

So, why the eyeroll?

Last edited:

Li Shenron

Legend
Perhaps the problem isn't that 5e is actually becoming like Pathfinder, but that enough people want it to become like Pathfinder that they are erroneously treating those columns as official.

Something that worries me is the knowledge that gamers who want more and more materials aren't necessarily those who actually play the game more regularly. Some of them are probably people who play so much, that they feel they are running out of options, and want something new to try out. But IMHO the majority are people who don't play the game at all, and need to compensate that with talking endlessly about it, which requires new material to analyze and criticize all the time, more than is needed by those who are actually busy playing the game.

Remove ads