D&D 5E Which adventure are you currently running?

Which adventure are you currently running?

• Poll closed .

Tallifer

Hero
;) "Homebrew" makes it sound like I sit down and carefully craft something ahead of time. My players tolerate and oftentimes enjoy my improvisation and whimsy. I even have to rely on them to remind me of events, places and inhabitants!

04hiddenfaces.jpg

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
You didn't include "other published adventure" as a choice but I'm currently running UK3 The Gauntlet. The cover is terrible but the adventure is fairly good.

That’s what you get with a spur of the moment poll!

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Both of my Curse of Strahd games are nearing conclusion and will most likely be finished by the end of the year. That would end up being a bit under 2 years to finish them, each game running twice-a-month.

Sent from my SM-J320V using EN World mobile app

JonnyP71

Explorer
Currently a player in a Homebrew 5E campaign.

Also currently DMing S4 Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth for a game I'm running with players who have, by choice, moved from 5E to 1E.

Frankie1969

Adventurer
Interesting. Amazon's fastest selling modules are currently Tomb, Lost Mine (Starter Set), and Strahd. There's very little correlation there.

Would it be worthwhile to post a followup poll about adventure TYPE?
  1. official WotC 5E product
  2. non-WotC 5E product (e.g. DMs Guild)
  3. homebrew conversion from older WotC/TSR product
  4. homebrew conversion from Pathfinder or other publisher
  5. primarily self-created content

Frankie1969

Adventurer
Also currently DMing S4 Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth for a game I'm running with players who have, by choice, moved from 5E to 1E.
If they chose 1E mainly for the novelty & experience of going old school, I can grok that feeling. I've tried most of the different editions (and several other game systems) and the knowledge of how they work (both good and bad) definitely adds depth to my current games.

But if they chose 1E because it seemed superior to 5E in some way... I would love to hear the explanation. It's really not difficult to simulate the good parts of old school (and skip the faulty parts) just by removing some of 5E's options (feats, dragonborn & tiefling, most of the archetypes) and maybe making healing harder.

JonnyP71

Explorer
We were playing a 5E campaign for over a year, but for a change of pace I ran them through the original Tomb of Horrors using pregens and 1E rules - mainly to encourage them to look beyond their character skills and look for more creative solutions to problems. We went back to 5E and the impact was immediate.

The 5E campaign ground to a semi-halt as a result of a near TPK and a player struggling to make regular games due to impending fatherhood, so I asked them what they wanted to do in the meantime... They didn't particularly want to start anew with 5E, and expressed an interest in playing some other systems including some more 1E, as they'd enjoyed being slaughtered in the Tomb. So we tried a bit of MERP, some BECMI and a few sessions of 1E. When the 'new Dad' came back to the game, the whole group decided they wanted to continue with their 1E characters.

Reasons they like it:
- a greater feeling of freedom - the lack of hard baked skills leads them to improvise more
- more lethal
- the flavour of the books
- they like the fact that character roles feel much more varied, how each one has a more defined function within the party
- greater range of weapons, armour, monsters, spells and magical items
- the character of the artwork, they prefer the old school line drawings to the overly slick modern images
- the quality of the adventure modules

Of course I could strip back 5E,bring in the class/race limitations etc - but if we simply play 1E I don't *need* to. These are relatively new players, they are not tired of the same old 'gruff dwarfs' disliking flighty magical elves, with sneaky, fat little Halflings - those traditions from old school gaming are still fairly fresh for them.

What actually makes the game more enjoyable is the fact that they don't know all the rules - this leads them to play the characters more than the system, there's no optimisation in sight, no searching for a 'best' option during play - they just go with the flow.

It hasn't all been totally plain sailing - the look of pure horror on the players' when 2 characters had levels drained by undead was very real! "What, they can do THAT? But it's taken months to get that level!!!".. but they calmed down, and now undead are properly feared and treated with care. The same goes for magical items - 2 characters died (no saves) due to putting on cursed necklaces and cloaks, others have been driven insane - but again it has had the effect of making them take more care. And that's not a bad thing. It's lovely to see Mages looking beyond the traditional spells of Magical Missile, Fireball etc, and picking the likes of Unseen Servant and Forget and using them intelligently - to solve problems and avoid combat.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Well you forgot an option for "other published" :)

I am starting to run an older edition module today.

Yeah I guess I wasn’t thinking of that option. I was just curious about the official 5e adventures. I messed up by offering homebrew! :)

Remove ads