D&D 5E The many and fabulous bazaars of Port Nyanzaru - and beyond

CapnZapp

Legend
Port Nyanzaru is depicted as a regional metropolis, and for my campaign, I wanted the offerings on hand to mirror a major bustling trade hub. Moreover, I've looked through the various "... of Faerûn" books for signature goods from Chult.

Here are my results.

Edit: Second iteration starts here: 5E - The many and fabulous bazaars of Port Nyanzaru - and beyond

Edit: :n: Second iteration completed, and uploaded as a single PDF file: http://www.enworld.org/forum/rpgdownloads.php?do=download&downloadid=1476

Edit: the link that works is:
https://www.enworld.org/resources/toa-the-many-and-fabulous-bazaars-of-port-nyanzaru.1476/download

Cheers,
CapnZapp

PS. I use a silver standard in my campaign. Just replace "sp" with "gp" and everything is back to normal.

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
The first post concerns the Mercant Princes. This is the exclusive luxury items they themselves sell. It does not mean I have lifted their monopoly on goods, only that others are their agents or resellers or have acquired licenses from them.

Merchant Princes
Ekene-Afa
Deals in weapons, shields, traveling gear, rain catchers, saddles, wagons, and canoes

Flaming yklwa +1 2500 sp
You can use a bonus action to speak this magic weapon's command word, causing flames to erupt.
These flames shed light as a torch. While the weapon is ablaze, it deals an extra 1d6 fire damage to any target it hits. The flames last until you use a bonus action to speak the command word again or until you drop or sheathe the sword.
Silver dagger +2 4000 sp
Yklwa +3 15000 sp
Simple melee weapon dealing 1d8 piercing with the throwing (range 10/30) property

Dlarun Shield 7000 sp
This bone-white metal can take a high polish and is often mistaken for ivory when seen in finished items, but has a distinctive greenish sheen in candlelight. The user gains fire resistance.

Ifan-Talro'a (only makes personal deals with Zhentarim members)
Deals in beasts and beast training

Flying snake 250 sp
Viper dagger +1 2000 sp
Once per day, this +1 dagger can turn into a poisonous snake as per conjure animals for up to 1 hour before it reverts to dagger form.
Bracers of the Hunter (requires attunement by a rogue) 8500 sp
You gain a +2 bonus on Dexterity ability checks and +1d6 damage to sneak attack
Marble Elephant 6000 sp
Figurine of Wondrous Power, DMG170

Jessamine
Deals in plants, poison and assassinations

Black Dragon Tooth +1 5000 sp
Works as a Dagger of Venom, DMG160. Additionally, it deals triple damage on a critical.

Jobal
Deals in guides and sell-swords

Scimitar of the Fool +1 1500 sp
You have disadvantage on Wisdom saving throws while you hold this weapon. These weapons are popular with iron rulers who don’t entirely trust their guards.
Wand of Endure Elements 8000 sp
This wand has 3 Charges. While holding it, you can use an action to expend 1 of its charges to cast the endure elements spell from it. The wand regains 1d3 expended Charges daily at dawn.

Kwayothé
Deals in fruit, wine, ale, tej, oil, perfume, insect repellent, and black magic

Potion of Animate Dead 1500 sp
When you administer this potion to a pile of bones or a corpse of a Medium or Small humanoid, you create a zombie or skeleton as per the animate dead spell.

Shroudcrown (requires attunement) 11300 sp
This agate-studded bronze circlet holds considerable power over undead. The wearer can turn undead as a 10th-level cleric, and she is constantly affected as if by an Invisibility spell as regards undead.
Rod of the Pact Keeper +1 (req attn) 15000 sp
DMG197
Wand of Binding (req attn) 20000 sp
DMG209
Nychyaella’s Shadow Spear +2 36000 sp
This spear is made of shadow-top wood. Three times per day on a successful attack, in addition to dealing damage normally, you may (as a free action) choose to drain the victim of life energy to heal yourself, as if you cast the Vampiric Touch spell on the target.

Wakanga O'tamu (discreetly gives a 25% discount to Harpers)
Deals in white magic and lore

Wand of the War Mage +2 (req attn) 5000 sp
Wand of Magic Missiles 8000 sp
This wand has 7 Charges. While holding it, you can use an action to expend 1 to 3 of its charges to cast the Magic Missile spell from it. For 1 charge, you cast the 1st-level version of the spell. For 2 charges, you cast the 2nd-level version of the spell. For 3 charges, you cast the 3rd-level version of the spell. The wand regains 1d6 + 1 expended Charges daily at dawn. If you expend the wand's last charge, roll a d20. On a 1, the wand crumbles into ashes and is destroyed.

Zhanti
Deals in gems, jewelry, cloth, and armor

Sentira Shell Mail +1 2250 sp
Non-metal Scale Mail; provides a +1 bonus to AC and Constitution saves made to maintain Concentration.
Mithral Half Plate 6000 sp

CapnZapp

Legend
Old City
Beggar's Palaces (#1)
Shops and tenements of bamboo are jammed onto the terraces of the two largest ziggurats of the Old City in wild profusion.

Chult Camouflage Dye 30 sp
If you wear no or light armor you gain +1 Stealth until you complete a long rest.
Dwarf grease 30 sp
If you wear no armor creatures trying to grapple you suffer disadvantage until you complete a long rest.
Dwarf mud 45 sp
If you wear no or light armor you gain +1 AC until you complete a long rest.

Bloodvine rope 200 sp
A creature bound with bloodvine rope has disadvantage on escape attempts.
Tanglefoot Bag 200 sp
You can throw this up to 50 feet. Wherever it lands, it creates the effects of an Entangle spell (save DC 13).
Amber Amulet of Vermin 350 sp
This amber nugget on a gold chain holds a normal-size centipede within its yellow depths. When broken, it releases the vermin, which instantly grows into a giant centipede which attacks the nearest creature that is not you. Each amulet works only once.
Slashing Sand 500 sp
You can throw this up to 50 feet. Wherever it lands, it creates the effects of a Spike Growth spell (save DC 13).
Vuddor of Thard Harr (requires attunement by a cleric or druid) 3000 sp
This amulet was designed by albino dwarf Druids that venerate the Lord of the Jungle Deeps.
Use an action to activate, then roll 1d6 – you immediately transform as per Wild Shape to a random jungle beast of the rolled Challenge Rating. You can't use this ability again until you finish a long rest.

Dragon Scale Mail, black (req attn) 5000 sp
DMG165. Covetous – the wearer becomes obsessed with material wealth.
Dragon Scale Mail, green (req attn) 6500 sp
DMG165. Confident – the item helps the wearer feel self-assured.

Corrosive Shortsword +1 3000 sp
This sword drips with acid upon command, dealing +1d4 acid damage on every hit.
Tentacle Rod 7500 sp
DMG208
Fanged Ring 8500 sp
The damage die of your unarmed melee attacks is increased one step. If you score a critical with such an attack, the target's hit point maximum is reduced by an amount equal to the damage taken. This reduction lasts until the target finishes a long rest.

Spellcasting Services (pending availability)
Cure wounds (1st level) 10 sp
Purify food and drink 20 sp
Remove curse 90 sp
Speak with dead 90 sp

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
These lists are cool but I think the beggars palaces would be selling used, salvaged or second rate stuff. I don’t know if it would affect your prices but it would affect how things are presented.

I guess I’m not sure what would motivate the PCs to ascend the Ziggurat, but perhaps there’s a rumor of a crazy old man at the top who won’t stop talking about souls trapped in some hellish machine?

CapnZapp

Legend
These lists are cool but I think the beggars palaces would be selling used, salvaged or second rate stuff. I don’t know if it would affect your prices but it would affect how things are presented.
Definitely! These price lists are only to be handed out once I've read the place description out loud to my players. As I'm using the place here is somewhat of a "dumping ground" for much stuff that didn't fit anywhere else; if there's a theme it's "the stuff the jungle provides" as opposed to manufactured "civilized" items. That doesn't mean you can't add "second rate" as a layer on top :)

(If an item still works OK, a decrepit appearance should have a minor influence on price, IMO)

I guess I’m not sure what would motivate the PCs to ascend the Ziggurat, but perhaps there’s a rumor of a crazy old man at the top who won’t stop talking about souls trapped in some hellish machine?
Cool idea. I guess there's already an insane amount of detail on the city; all the guides, all the side quests, all the rumors, all the merchant princes, the map and all its sights and things to do - to which I've added shopping (=this thread), finding and showcasing image art of the city, and two rival NPC adventure parties to complement the "missing" Company of the Yellow Banner... I guess I just didn't think of that :goodjob:

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
P.s. sorry I derailed your thread a bit... :( but the ziggurats were bugging me. Cool structure but no good reason to interact with it!

phantomK9

Explorer
Dlarun Shield 7000 sp
This bone-white metal can take a high polish and is often mistaken for ivory when seen in finished items, but has a distinctive greenish sheen in candlelight. The user gains fire resistance.

Dlarun and other rare metals in Forgotten Realms are something I find I'm missing from 5e so far. Thanks for reminding me of them, I think I'll have to look for or work up something for them.

CapnZapp

Legend
This is the first half of the Grand Souk.

Merchant's Ward
Grand Souk (#6)
Traders from up and down the Sword Coast come to this market to buy timber, spices, medicines concocted from jungle plants, dinosaur skulls and claws, iron, tiger pelts, carved ivory, Batiri and Grung handiwork, colored feathers, tropical fruit, monkeys, plesiosaur meat, and all the other riches of Chult. It's a noisy, jostling, aroma-rich circus. Street performers and Tabaxi minstrels add to the cacophony. Colorful awnings protect the market from sun and rain but also trap the heat and smells. Business begins before the sun comes up, and dealing doesn't stop until well after darkness.

Canoe 3-seater (minimum 1) 15 sp
Canoe 6-seater (minimum 2) 60 sp
Canoe 12-seater (minimum 4) 240 sp

Flying monkey, giant lizard, hadrosaurus 100 sp
Ankylosaurus, deinonychus 250 sp
Flying snake 250 sp (only to Zhentarim members)
Triceratops 500 sp

Poisons
Assassin's Blood 150 sp
Serpent Venom 200 sp

Services
Hireling, Commoner, per month 5 sp (in advance)
Hunter, Tribal Warrior with yklwa 1d8+1, per month 50 sp (in advance)
Warrior, Tribal Warrior with 33 hp, yklwa 1d8+3 and shield AC 16, per month 150 sp (in advance)
Guide, individual NPC, per month 1500 sp (in advance)

Remove ads