[5E] [OOC] JM's A Bit of Trouble (Closed)

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Yeah, that may be too much. But aasimar can blend in, I guess. Kinda set my sights on that. Not sure what class yet, but I’m thinking either drunken master monk, druid, or some sort of caster.

Well, there's some time. The party still has to interrogate a lizardfolk and then send the surviving villagers away with the now two NPC-PCs. That would be the deadline for joining.

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Everett is a high elf and though he wouldn't hate you on any level he would tease your origins and engage in playful banter if you choose drow.

Hehe, as much as I would love that banter, I feel that playing a drow would be too much of a stretch. But thanks for the headsup anyway! :)

tglassy

Adventurer
I don't want to bog down the play any, but this game's gone on a while and I'd like to jump on the train, if I can. I've got some questions before moving forward, though.

How often are we getting short rests? That will help me determine the class I want. Warlock has always been my go to, but without Short Rests they have a hard time keeping up.

What could you tell me of N'drovio, the God of Death? I've got some ideas on characters but it would depend on what the God of Death is like.

Out of curiosity, would you consider the new Artificer? Not sure if I'm wanting to go that route but it doesn't hurt to ask.

I think I've been pretty fair with short rests. There have been a pair of long combats (15+ rounds) that require some resource management. But I've never denied a short rest. (I did deny a long rest between the last two fights.) Warlocks in general need to practice restraint with their big spells.

N'drovio is the god of fate and destiny, death, omens (good and bad). He's kind of Hades style death, he knows everyone comes to him eventually, combined with the Greek fates. Arwen's character Surina often swears to his "partner" Essembri. So that would be an amusing pairing.

Artificier? I haven't really read the latest incarnation. But I'm open to it I suppose. I'd give it a closer look if you were interested.

tglassy

Adventurer
If you’re not against an Artificer, then I’ve had a character in mind. Still a bounty hunter cowboy type, but as a youth he was always interested in all kinds of stories about magic, and as he got older he studied and studied everything he could get his hands on about it, but eventually learned he had zero talent in any magical areas. He just couldn’t make it work. Not to be discouraged, he started learning everything he could about magical items and artifacts, and delved into learning runes and the like. He became an expert at indirectly manipulating magic through Runes and the like, not through himself but through items and gadgets and things like that.

As per the new UA, which is likely going to be officially released later this year in the Hardcover Eberron book they’ve just announced, the Artificer is a half caster who’s “Spells” are meant to be flavored as…well…anything but. Cure Wounds could be a salve, Thorn Whip could be a grappling hook, Fireball could be a flask full of some super potent fire concoction. In this case, I would fluff it all as rune based magic, and call him a Rune Master. No magic in and of himself, but he understands Runes and can do a lot with that, using them to imbue items or create magical effects.

Their main shtick is creating magical items, or imbuing mundane items with magic. They can even create “prototypes” of things like a Bag of Holding or, at higher levels, a Belt of Hill Giant Strength (lvl 16). They can even let others use them, so they’re big on support. I think starting out they can know 3 prototypes, and can create 2 of them at any one time, switching them out on a long rest.

Give them a look and let me know what you think. I’d be thinking the Artiliarist Subclass.

I'm not against it but I do find the Artificer a bit too Jack of all Trades. The third level expertise bonus means an artificer can pick locks as well as a rogue. The can cure and fireball. They get two attacks per round at 5th level like fighting classes do. The alchemist subclass is poor, I think. And there should have been more than 2 subclasses.

The text says artificers start with 2 infusions but the chart says 3.

But seeing it in action is the best way to see how it goes. I'm not sure how the Runemaster would make fire belching turrets. But I'm sure you'll find an explanation.

I'm not sure how you were captured. Perhaps they have you tied up somewhere.

Remove ads