D&D 5E Treantmonk's Guide to Everything Xanathar

OCJeriko1

First Post
Mind Spike is probably a blue option for Divination Wizards. Its a decent damage divination spell that triggers their feature that gives them back spell levels

CapnZapp

Legend
Considering most CR 6 monsters do 10 damage with their attack, it's like giving resist to a melee attack.

I do agree it doesn't quite keep up at higher levels.
Someone said it consumes your reaction.

Giving resistance to ONE level-appropriate attack a round is not impressive.

There's a serious opportunity cost as well. If you heal 14 hp but don't get to make an opportunity attack doing 14 hp damage, have you really gained anything?

(and that's just the most obvious usage of your reaction)

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

CapnZapp

Legend
Regarding healing spirit, I'd call it blue simply because I think it's the "best in class" spell of its kind. Sure, combat healing might not be great in this edition, but healing spirit is among the most cost effective ways to do it;
I don't think it's a good idea to have relative grading.

A blue option should be blue precisely because it stands up well to completely different options you could have taken instead.

The best way to do a crappy strategy should still rate poorly - in my opinion TAM should not change his rating.

(Not for that reason, anyway)

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

mellored

Legend
Someone said it consumes your reaction.

Giving resistance to ONE level-appropriate attack a round is not impressive.

There's a serious opportunity cost as well. If you heal 14 hp but don't get to make an opportunity attack doing 14 hp damage, have you really gained anything?

(and that's just the most obvious usage of your reaction)
if they just hit your ally, they don't need to provoke an OA.

And there is no other reaction in the class. And not many that you could get by dipping.

Obviously a free 1/round would be better, but it's not a big limitation.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying it's wonderful, but it's not bad either. At least not at level 6.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
I noticed you didn't include anything about the Tortle Package.

I only mention it because it counts as part of XGtE for +1 book purposes. Really, the only thing worth reviewing from it is the race itself.

GroverA125

First Post
Have to disagree on Shadow of Moil. Nowhere does it say that you are in non-magical darkness that affects a creature's ability to see you. It specifically says you become heavily obscured, THEN it turns down the lights around you. A person can see around you and your square fine, but you specifically are obscured.

Also have to disagree on your grading of Shepherd's Spirit Totem feature. Bear spirit gives everyone a set of temp HP which has no duration attached to it, meaning a HP buffer until the next long rest (it only says the Str bonuses are for being in the aura for the duration). Unicorn means that for 1 minute, any heal works as a Mass Healing Word. Half the party down? In one turn the Druid can get every single one of them up with about 10-20% of their HP back AND heal someone in melee range or themselves another chunk of HP. Then every turn afterwards, they can essentially convert Healing Word into Mass Healing Word. For 1 minute per Short Rest, Unicorn Spirit lets them laugh in the face of a Life Cleric or really any healing class. Hell, they can still be concentrating on a Call Lightning or any of the countless multi-turn damaging spells they have while they spend their slots healbotting.

Also Tenser's Transformation, being a Wizard-only option, you should really be looking at how it works with Subclasses. You will NEVER wear armour with it. Ever. It doesn't last long enough to put on Heavy Armour and Medium is cutting it. That part may as well be fluff since you'll be using Mage armor or be a Bladesinger and wearing Light armour anyway. Look at it on a Bladesinger who has activated Bladesong: You're adding +4 at least to those Con Saves, which already likely is a +2 (ability score), then Bladesong gives that +5. You're looking at +11 to Con saves, before you've even bothered with War Caster or a Paladin being around. Then you have advantage on those +7 rapier attack rolls, dealing 1d8+3+2d12 (+5 at level 14) twice for an average of 44.41 damage (54.41 at level 14). Compare that to the GWF doing 40.64 damage at level 11 (not factoring Great Weapon Master), and that's far from bad damage, considering you need to be taking 26 damage a hit to even have a chance at breaking concentration, and even there you can burn spell slots to thin the damage AND your AC is sat comfortably at 21 while Bladesong is up. War Magic gets a load of bonuses to their Con too, and can also spend reactions to make themselves more likely to pass their Con saves or avoid damage outright.

Last edited:

gyor

Legend
I'm surprised with some of the ratings you give.

Divine is at least worthy of Green, if not sky blue, for Divine Magic alone, there are entire builds and combos that can only be achieved with Divine Souls alone. Extend Spell becomes far more valuable to Divine Souls then other Sorcerors.

Its really the combos between metamagic and cleric spells that make the subclass interesting. Twinned Revify/Raise Dead/True Resurrection (like getting an extra 9th level spell)/Lesser Restoration/Greater Restoration/Heal/Cure Wounds/Harm.

Extend Conjure Celestial (a combo that is worth being sky blue by itself), Extend (Empowered) Spiritual Guardians/Guardian of Faith/Holy Weapon/Aid (combos amazingly Unearthly Recovery).

Subtle Geas (not my idea, but I like it, although you can also make it Subtle Empowered Geas to add extra punishment for disobeyance, or go with twinned Geas if you don't need to be subtle about it).

Distance Spell works well with the Cleric touch spells.

Subtle spell with raise dead could be interesting.

Divine Soul's have access to entire types of magic that normal Sorceror can't do like healing, conjuration, raising undead, and a bunch of others.

They also get access to Temple of the Gods which is a wicked fortress, which also boost healing.

Otherworldly Wings are so spectral so if you multiclass for heavy armour, you can still use the wings without modifying the armour. Hugely useful ablitity and at will.

I don't think Empowered Healing only effects one die, that doesn't sound right, perhsps its an error.

gyor

Legend
When it comes to Peyton Mounts you have them to low at red, for small Paladins or Bards they are the Best choice.

Flight, a great dive attack, resistance to a variety of damage types from none Magical weapons, they know both Elvish and Common, and they are medium sized so they fit down narrow hallways in dungeons.

gyor

Legend
Shadow Blade should be sky blue for Arcane Tricksters, it's an Illusion Spell, a light, thrown, finesse weapon that deals good, damage, higher in higher slots, and grants ADVANTAGE in dim light.

gyor

Legend
Mighty Fortress has a range of 1 mile which means with good, Intel like the right divination spell, you can use it as an weird combat spell at extreme range.

What's even better is what it does for the Wish Spell, using Wish to cast it makes it an instant action.

Remove ads