D&D 5E Need help in picking a character to fit this party

Satyrn

First Post
Swashbuckler, because instead of stepping on no toes, it steps on all of them!
You're kinda a rogue, but with flair!
You're kinda living off the "wilderness" that is the sea!
You're great with the wilds, as long as it's the ocean.
And the moon druid can turn into your parrot!

But seriously, play whatever makes you happy.

That doesn't sound at all like Inigo Montoya.

Dan Chernozub

First Post
Well, when people come asking for optimization, I suspect they don't want an answer "go play whatever you like". I mean in an entertainment hobby ain't this the default option?

Nice point by Quickleaf (suprise!) regarding no HA users in the party so far.

Party might also lack utility/control, but this heavily depends on choices by bard/sorcerer and to lesser extent, rouge. My first reaction would be to roll a wizard.

machineelf

Explorer
It sort of depends on if the party wants to be perfectly balanced or not. I usually tell my players they should just pick whatever seems fun to play. I'm not so interested in a perfectly balanced party, myself. If it happens, it happens, but I and my group often like to focus on the fun of roleplaying a character that seems interesting, and not so much on a need to have every party "role" filled. And honestly, playing in a non-balanced, non-optimal group can be loads of fun, because you have different kinds of challenges. The one thing I would not do is play the same class as someone else, unless they explicitly tell me they don't mind. I don't want to step on anyone else's toes.

But if your group does care about role-balance, then I would say you could use a cleric.

Last edited:

eayres33

Explorer
I would say play what you want to because that is the most fun, but if you wanted to do that you would not be asking this question.

Looking at the group you seem to have most things covered depending on how these characters are played, you have two possible tanks, some healers, some damage dealers.

I’d go either Bard or an utility/control wizard, that would make the most balance party, unless you expect to encounter a lot of undead, than a non-healing focused cleric.

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
I know (or assume) this was well-intentioned, but I still feel compelled to say that I hate it when people say this. It's so...pedantic and patronizing. Maybe the class the person asking the question wants to play is the class that would best complement the existing party.

This is exactly what I’m asking. Thank you.

I’m concerned because, while not knowing anything more than what’s listed above (that’s not completely true; I know the celestial warlock plans on going pact of the tome to be a better spellcaster), since we’re using the standard array for stats, there doesn’t seem to be any need for an intelligent character. Who will do the research?

I’m concerned that, while there is a warlock that will prioritize charisma, I’m not sure what social skills he’ll actually possess.

I’m concerned that there’s nobody who will wear any heavy armor.

I’m not asking for a character that will fill all these needs, I’m trying to figure out what will compliment the above party best.

A lore bard is interesting to me. An arcana or knowledge cleric is interesting to me. A bladesinger or diviner is interesting to me. A hexblade bladelock is interesting to me. A vengeance paladin is interesting to me. Actually, most characters can be interesting to me.

I need help determining what mechanics I need to best compliment the party.

eayres33

Explorer

I’m concerned because, while not knowing anything more than what’s listed above (that’s not completely true; I know the celestial warlock plans on going pact of the tome to be a better spellcaster), since we’re using the standard array for stats, there doesn’t seem to be any need for an intelligent character. Who will do the research?

I’m concerned that, while there is a warlock that will prioritize charisma, I’m not sure what social skills he’ll actually possess.

I’m not asking for a character that will fill all these needs, I’m trying to figure out what will compliment the above party best.

A lore bard is interesting to me. An arcana or knowledge cleric is interesting to me. A bladesinger or diviner is interesting to me. A hexblade bladelock is interesting to me. A vengeance paladin is interesting to me. Actually, most characters can be interesting to me.

Will the DM challenge you with any INT checks, if so it seems you need a Wizard, unless you one of the character's has a high INT, even though they don't need it, maybe your Rogue has a high INT and uses his rogue skills that way, tough to tell with out all the info.

S

Sunseeker

As people pointed out, from the information you gave, we have little more to contribute than you already know.

I don't know anything about Celestial warlock potential so I'll skip that. You say he's going more castery so there's your caster ranged.
The Rogue is a bit of a wildcard. They could go more thug rogue or they could go more skill and assassiny rogue. You could very easily end up with a rogue with TONS of skills or a rogue with a few useless skills.
The Barbarian is the easiest: they're your heavy hitter and your "meatshield". So you can probably cross off Fighters and Paladins (especially since you've got a holy-hybrid already).
The Hunter ranger is probably going to be more scout than damage, so count on them to cover that end of the pool. He's also your melee ranged.
The Moon druid is designed to wild shape, a lot. So they're going to be a damager/meatshield type.

What your party does not seem to have is any real control class, so I'd suggest a Bard or a Wizard for that. The Bard gives you the most versatility if things don't go the way they're looking right now, which given you're all level 1, people could switch, die or generally go different directions than expected. I'd suggest whatever Bard college gives you access to more skills as opposed to the damage-oriented side. You'll also have a good "face" if the warlock or the rogue decide not to go that route.

So there, best advice I can give based on the limited information you have: bard.

Don't worry about heavy armor. Your barbarian will cover that with a high con.

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
As people pointed out, from the information you gave, we have little more to contribute than you already know.

I don't know anything about Celestial warlock potential so I'll skip that. You say he's going more castery so there's your caster ranged.
The Rogue is a bit of a wildcard. They could go more thug rogue or they could go more skill and assassiny rogue. You could very easily end up with a rogue with TONS of skills or a rogue with a few useless skills.
The Barbarian is the easiest: they're your heavy hitter and your "meatshield". So you can probably cross off Fighters and Paladins (especially since you've got a holy-hybrid already).
The Hunter ranger is probably going to be more scout than damage, so count on them to cover that end of the pool. He's also your melee ranged.
The Moon druid is designed to wild shape, a lot. So they're going to be a damager/meatshield type.

What your party does not seem to have is any real control class, so I'd suggest a Bard or a Wizard for that. The Bard gives you the most versatility if things don't go the way they're looking right now, which given you're all level 1, people could switch, die or generally go different directions than expected. I'd suggest whatever Bard college gives you access to more skills as opposed to the damage-oriented side. You'll also have a good "face" if the warlock or the rogue decide not to go that route.

So there, best advice I can give based on the limited information you have: bard.

Don't worry about heavy armor. Your barbarian will cover that with a high con.

Thank you.

I do realize I’m not giving everybody much to go on. I only have the info I’ve been given.

Satyrn

First Post
dwarven Tempest cleric

You get healing, decent damaging spells, buffing, etc etc.

And by being a plate-wearing dwarf, you can dump both your Str and Dex without issue (so long as you hire a porter to carry everything for you!), to boost your Int or Cha to whatever the party needs.

Remove ads