D&D 5E A good one-shot adventure?

Quickleaf

Legend
In case of a one-shot, I usually pick up one of the old 3ed free web adventures from WotC, and convert it on the fly. They are not so easy to find online anymore however...
Yeah, if I’m going to convert an adventure I’ll probably go back to an AD&D adventure in Dungeon magazine since those tend to be easy to convert; been considering a shortened Hunt for the Hierophant (#63).

Great sheets! If they just had room for a picture on first two-pages, allowed space for one-line abbreviated spell descriptions, and were form fillable, I would use them. I’ve found those first 2 points go a long way toward hooking players and making it easier for those players running spellcasters. Form fillable just to make it easier on me to punch out a bunch of pregen PCs quickly.

Last edited:

Tentatively, I've been considering The Ghost and the Peddler as one possibility.

My only concern with using a 12 page adventure is that you could run out of time if you need to run it as a 2-4 hour one-shot. When I'm trying to keep a particular quest to a single session for a one-shot or otherwise, I try to err on the side of shorter. Those hours will fly by if it is fun - but it could make you feel like it fell short if you have to rush the finale. Some good advice I received from another DM is to have a very short core adventure planned and then have additional relevant but optional rooms/encounters/combats at the ready to use if you have the time.

For some 1-page adventures, check out the Prepared! series from Kobold Press. There's the book you can buy, but there's also a bunch of freebies on the site.

The Impregnable Fortress of Dib is a fun one that you can easily tweak to increase difficulty.

Have fun!

Last edited:

Remove ads