D&D 5E Anybody ever want to change characters a lot? How do you prevent that?

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
Hey all, I have a problem. I usually start a game, have fun for a session or two, and then want to switch characters.

How can I get myself to want to stick with a character?

I hate this “restartitis”

On a secondary note, I can’t decide if I want to play a bard or paladin. We have a thief rogue, a celestial tomelock, a barbarian, a druid and a ranger.

I run into this when I make a PC I'm not all that invested in, often a niche-filler for a party. I have yet to get a bard past 3rd level for some reason, probably because finding a handle on them is a challenge to me.

The thing I find that makes me invest in a character is a level plan. I often plan a PC at least to 11th level with regard to who they are and how I intend to improve them as they move forward in that . Gives me a sense of anticipation which reinforces my enjoyment of playing the character.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
This may not be feasible at your table, but I set up my game in such a way that both players and characters can be swapped out regularly. I have 8 players but limit a given session to 5 PCs and each player usually has two or more characters. So week to week, the party composition may change. This would be a good scenario for someone who likes to switch characters.

So it might be worth talking to the DM to see if something similar is possible as it accommodates those who want to stick with one character and those who want to try out several.

JonnyP71

Explorer
Simple - start all new characters at level 1. I run side quests and spin-off adventures to allow players to develop 2nd characters, ostensibly as a backup in case of character death, but these will always be of a lower level than the main party.

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
Simple - start all new characters at level 1. I run side quests and spin-off adventures to allow players to develop 2nd characters, ostensibly as a backup in case of character death, but these will always be of a lower level than the main party.
That’s asking the DM to do a lot of extra work for my benefit only.

Nobody else seems to have this problem in my game.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith

I do the same. It works great.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
How open is your schedule to playing one-shot games on Roll20? That way you can play the one character at your regular game, then jump into Roll20 games to try out whatever new builds you're dreaming about.

Warpiglet

Adventurer
Hey all, I have a problem. I usually start a game, have fun for a session or two, and then want to switch characters.

How can I get myself to want to stick with a character?

I hate this “restartitis”

On a secondary note, I can’t decide if I want to play a bard or paladin. We have a thief rogue, a celestial tomelock, a barbarian, a druid and a ranger.

This has been a huge problem for our group going back a long way. The culprit? Generally irregular play! If we are playing with a regular group we usually stick together, get excited and cannot wait to play again. If the characters are not played for a few months, everyone forgets what made the group so great and when the urge to play hits, someone suggests something new on the fly.

I hate this problem. Of late, I have endeavored to really be consistent and even DM more to get it going. I want a cohesive party.

One other problem--a much bigger issue post AD&D 1e (i.e. 3rd edition on) is a focus on "builds" and ability combinations. Longevity for me is when I am immersed in a theme and the character.

I recently started a thread about the tension I feel in making a "better" character vs. a "better character." When I look through a lens of optimization only, the character is more disposable, less exciting. When I take some things that follow the rule of cool first, the character usually has longevity.

Just my 2 cents. Immersion leads to less switching for me. I have an internal struggle to take more flavor along with optimal things. When I do, I am interested much longer.

My thought is that perhaps this is a function of novelty wearing off. The exciting mechanics are only exciting for me in the planning and early stages. Later, they don't excite me so much. Theme however, really keeps me invested. For example, if I can mesh background and class with some spell choices and even tool use? Jackpot!

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
How open is your schedule to playing one-shot games on Roll20? That way you can play the one character at your regular game, then jump into Roll20 games to try out whatever new builds you're dreaming about.

This might help me, but it isn’t always the builds that get to me. I really can’t place a finger on it, just that I get kinda bored.

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
This has been a huge problem for our group going back a long way. The culprit? Generally irregular play! If we are playing with a regular group we usually stick together, get excited and cannot wait to play again. If the characters are not played for a few months, everyone forgets what made the group so great and when the urge to play hits, someone suggests something new on the fly.

I hate this problem. Of late, I have endeavored to really be consistent and even DM more to get it going. I want a cohesive party.

One other problem--a much bigger issue post AD&D 1e (i.e. 3rd edition on) is a focus on "builds" and ability combinations. Longevity for me is when I am immersed in a theme and the character.

I recently started a thread about the tension I feel in making a "better" character vs. a "better character." When I look through a lens of optimization only, the character is more disposable, less exciting. When I take some things that follow the rule of cool first, the character usually has longevity.

Just my 2 cents. Immersion leads to less switching for me. I have an internal struggle to take more flavor along with optimal things. When I do, I am interested much longer.

My thought is that perhaps this is a function of novelty wearing off. The exciting mechanics are only exciting for me in the planning and early stages. Later, they don't excite me so much. Theme however, really keeps me invested. For example, if I can mesh background and class with some spell choices and even tool use? Jackpot!
Link to said thread? I’m interested!

Thank you! And I agree about post 2e.

Remove ads