D&D 5E Mearls' "Firing" tweet

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArchfiendBobbie

First Post
But none of those characters were changed, replaced or re-mantled for diversity. The big names that people complain about (Jane Foster Thor, Miles Morales Spiderman, Carol Danvers Captain Marvel and Kamala Khan Ms Marvel) are all doing quite well. GotG, She-Hulk, Iceman, Gwenpool, these were niche comics to begin with, and NONE of them were altered for diversity.

That said, I think the comic industry has decidedly failed to provide interesting, new and refreshing stories for a long time. Worse, they stretch out the dull, the dry and the reused into endlessly running series with OVER 9000 issues of the same dry, boring, rehashed characters and concepts. The fact that a comic gets canceled after 12 issues or so should, IMO be the norm, not the exception.

But in any case, the VP of sales more likely misstated what we all know to be true: they overused the same strategy and it backfired. But where it was executed property, it has succeeded. You can overdo anything, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't do it at all. It's not an absolute either way.

Oh, I just want to add, as a long-time reader of She-Hulk, I have thoroughly enjoyed the Gray She-Hulk run, and it's covers are some of my favorites.

They cancelled that She-Hulk, last I checked. But, hold on, let me comment to you and another person at the same time...

Only he clarified his statement and thus his stance and what he claimed was that some retailers were claiming the push for diversity hurt their sales (with other claiming it helped theirs)

Ok you list 2 female led books that were canceled and I can list 7 that haven't been... Captain Marvel, Squirrel Girl, Spider-Gwen, Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, Ms. Marvel, and the still female-led Thor and Iron Man. Moreso books are cancelled and rebooted all the time by Marvel and DC so I'm not sure these cancellations can wholly be attributed to too much diversity. In fact here's a Marvel Exec saying it was all about sales and not diversity...

https://www.polygon.com/comics/2017...ancellations-not-motivated-by-books-diversity

The clarifications came after an internet firestorm over the initial statement over diversity being the cause. I'm inclined to question it, entirely because it seems almost like they are just trying damage control. Especially since the company itself has been having a lot of problems with gaining sales and really doesn't want to end up in the middle of another flame war.

Basically... It almost looks to me like the vice president of sales spoke without thinking, they finally realized they can't win by choosing either side, and they decided to extract themselves from the whole thing. The timing of when those clarifications came looks too much like damage control to be entirely trustworthy.

ArchfiendBobbie

First Post
My problem is him acting like a hypocrite by saying who is and who is not allowed to play DnD.

Like he could do anything about it anyway.

Eh. He's just stressed and snapped without thinking. Happens to a lot of people.

But if he can't stop doing it, it's going to quickly become a problem and he will become a liability to the franchise. The people he's dealing with are not going to stop being trolls just because he chews them out.

Obryn

Hero
My problem is him acting like a hypocrite by saying who is and who is not allowed to play DnD.

Like he could do anything about it anyway.
If you are feeling specifically targeted by that tweet, then maybe you have some soul-searching to do.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
If you are feeling specifically targeted by that tweet, then maybe you have some soul-searching to do.

What does the state of my soul have to do with Mearls being a hypocrite?

Or to put it another way, if we start "firing" one group from DnD then who is the next group that gets fired?

S

Sunseeker

They cancelled that She-Hulk, last I checked. But, hold on, let me comment to you and another person at the same time.
So? The She-Hulk has been canceled how many times now? (3? 4?) As someone who will literally read anything She-Hulk, it hasn't exactly been a solid run since the 80's. It's not like her getting canceled means she's deleted from comic-book-dom forever. Srsly.

Also this is sort of an odd response to my post, ignoring the meat of which addressed your core of your argument that many of the new "diversity" comics people are complaining about are quite successful, and the ones you named as being canceled are neither new, nor created solely for diversity (at least not with the modern push for such things). Are you aware that Luke Cage first appeared in 1972? She-Hulk 1980? Iceman 1963?

I don't know your history with comics, but your post seems eerily reminiscent of numerous other posts I see across the internet on the subject.

The clarifications came after an internet firestorm over the initial statement over diversity being the cause. I'm inclined to question it, entirely because it seems almost like they are just trying damage control. Especially since the company itself has been having a lot of problems with gaining sales and really doesn't want to end up in the middle of another flame war.

Basically... It almost looks to me like the vice president of sales spoke without thinking, they finally realized they can't win by choosing either side, and they decided to extract themselves from the whole thing. The timing of when those clarifications came looks too much like damage control to be entirely trustworthy.
Yes we live in an age where us peons are more capable of catching the rich-folk with their feet in their mouth.

Obryn

Hero
But if he can't stop doing it, it's going to quickly become a problem and he will become a liability to the franchise. The people he's dealing with are not going to stop being trolls just because he chews them out.
Bull.

"Please, Mr. Mearls, stop doing anything to piss off alt-right incel D&D nerds! They are scary!"

Dude, seriously. This whole damn time you've been doing this thing where you're both pleading the pro-misogyny case while also encouraging we surrender to them. We're way past the point where trolls troll only to get a rise out of their target - trolls nowadays are performing for each other.

What does the state of my soul have to do with Mearls being a hypocrite?

Or to put it another way, if we start "firing" one group from DnD then who is the next group that gets fired?
I think you are promoting a really ... novel ... use of the word "hypocrite"

And also, I dunno - I think a D&D community without angry misogynist nerds sounds pretty great.

DM Magic

Adventurer

This is what we call in the biz "false equivalence." Getting rid of a group of toxic people is not the same as getting rid of another group of people, like people who enjoy playing gnome paladins.

Last edited:

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
I think you are promoting a really ... novel ... use of the word "hypocrite"

And also, I dunno - I think a D&D community without angry misogynist nerds sounds pretty great.

I have to love it:

Lets all be inclusive... but not you other people. No mouth breathing basement dwellers playing my DnD m'kay!

DM Magic

Adventurer
I have to love it:

Lets all be inclusive... but not you other people. No mouth breathing basement dwellers playing my DnD m'kay!

"No mouth breathing basement dwellers playing my DnD who are sexist pieces of crap." There, fixed it for you!

Also, being intolerant of intolerance does not make a person intolerant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads