D&D 5E No Magic Shops!

There is no lack of magic shops in 5e if you, as a DM, don't want there to be. Hell, Xanathar's has a whole section on buying/selling/creating magic items.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I am very much relieved that there are no magic shops in 5e. Magic items feel special again. Finding them is both a cause for celebration and an opportunity to find creative uses for them.

That said, I like the downtime rules in XgtE for buying and selling items. While I'd change the prices a bit, I think it is the right way to implement a magic item market.

I would also like to see some tables for creating a common magic item shop. One that some common items from XgtE as well as the weaker potions and scrolls.

epithet

Explorer
I've done all right, I think, implementing a magic item store. Still, I would like a more robust system that I could drop in without much work.

Shiroiken

Legend
I LOVE the fact that there are no magic item shops. Even the most innocuous ones ruin the economy. I've removed Potions of Healing from the equipment list, and replaced it with healing herbs (basically the same, but take 1 Minute instead of an Action) so that potions are valuable and treasured. Since I do random magical treasure (removing anything I don't want in my campaign), I've modified the Xanthar's downtime to work for a trade/barter system for magic items. This allows people to trade away items they don't use for something they might, or to seek out specific items they want, so long as they're able to trade enough away.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I'm playing it as written, thank-you-very-much:

DMG, page 136: "In your campaign, magic items might be prevalent enough that adventurers can buy and sell them. Magic items might be for sale in bazaars or auction houses in fantastical locations, such as... the planar metropolis of Sigil."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases