D&D 5E Lore Bard Magical Secret Picks

CM

Adventurer
I picked Slow and Mirror Image myself, though I might go for healing spirit at some point (even the nerfed houseruled version our groups use).

Wall of Force and Enemies Abound (Xanathar's Guide) are some options I'm looking at in the future. The latter is especially great at negating an enemy sniper.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
So, let me get this straight. I use 2 actions to use up a 1st and a 3rd level spell slot (minimum) and take (a minimum of) 4d8 damage? So the combo is buff yourself a little before you lose quite a bit of damage so that you can heal someone quite a significant amount taking 2 rounds. That feels like too much of a trade-off for me personally. (unless I've missed something which is entirely possible).

I would probably take a different healing spell before that combo. But that's just me. Healing Spirit is close to being a choice for me.
Absolutely right. I happen to be playing a Necromantic-themed Wizard (but not a Necromancer!) in the game I'm in now which uses all 4 of the spells I mentioned above - this likely colors my opinion of the combo. While Bard does get more/better access to healing, if you're working on strict Necromancy theming, it'd be a way to go.

Pickaxe

Explorer
I’ve been thinking about this for my own lore bard, so I appreciate the suggestions. Two things that I’ve been thinking about for this are 1) I like having good options for reactions and bonus actions, so my character always has a lot he can do, and 2) bards have a *lot* of concentration spells, so this seems like an opportunity to add more non-concentration spells. Lastly, this party has lots of healing, so I’m less inclined to go that route.

Three spells not mentioned here (or on other guides to my knowledge) are shield, absorb elements, and mirror image. All three have good defensive functions and no concentration, and two use reactions. Shield perhaps overlaps with cutting words, but absorb elements seems really good.

Last edited:

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Ray of Sickness.
Darkness.
Frostbite.
Color Spray.
Stone Shape (more control than debuff, but debuff in the right situation)
Transmute Rock. (same as stone shape)

Keravath

Explorer
Just a couple comments .. though hopefully the thread isn’t too old :)

1) consider a 2 level multiclass into hex blade warlock if it fits your character concept
- hex, shield, extra cantrip
- hexblades curse
- eldritch blast + agonizing blast
- 2 short rest first level spell slots
- additional invocation of choice
- medium armor proficiency, martial weapon proficiency
- charisma as attack stat for one weapon

This approach picks up a number of the useful spells that might be chosen using magical secrets but it also gives the bard competitive at will ranged damage when that is needed. I’ve run across a number of encounters where I pinned down opponents using hypnotic pattern and then either used blindness or eldritchblast (vicious mockery isn’t nearly as effective).

2) magical secrets
Counterspell - As mentioned, counterspell is a very popular option because bards are one of the best classes to use the spell and in a situation where you need it, it is critically important. Stopping confusion, hypnotic pattern, and other spells cast on your party is an essential skill. These spells when used by the party can completely change an encounter and the same goes when they are used against you.

Haste/slow - these can be good spells but both are concentration. Slow allows a save every turn, opponents still get an action, it is a wis save .. the only real advantage over hypnotic pattern is 40ft cube vs 30ft cube.
Haste .. gives one party member one extra attack. Again situational, but I would rather lock down opponents with hypnotic pattern or use hex+eldritch blast to typically do far more damage than one extra attack from a melee character.

Fireball/other AOE direct damage - non concentration, does substantial damage, fairly common resist, however, it adds to the bards ability to deal with larger numbers of weaker creatures.

Aura of Vitality - decent healing - concentration and uses bonus action. Very good between combat spell. Less useful in combat since a bard is probably better off using hypnotic pattern or another area control/debuff .. stopping three creatures from doing any damage is far more than 2d6/turn and there is always healing word to revive a downed party member. Healing Spirit is the same.

Fly - concentration but can be situationally useful especially out of combat .. but an instrument of the bards or winged boots could provide almost the same capability

Mirror image/misty step - both possibly decent to increase bard survivability

Find familiar - awesome scout plus they can execute the help action to assist a party member on attack. This works well with a party rogue but there are probably better mechanical choices .. decent for role playing too.

Level 10 magical secrets offers a huge range of choice.

Wall of force - concentration - up to 10 minutes - destroyed by disintegrate. This can be very effective crowd control covering a range of situations that can’t be addressed with hypnotic pattern.

Anyway, the key thing to keep an eye on is the competition of these spells for concentration, the save required (you don’t want everything to be a wisdom save), and the utility both in and out of combat. If you think a spell is too situational, it may not be a good choice for a bard who has a limited set of spells.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
I have always been left disappointed when multiclassing. It always feels good until you play it in a group who haven't MC'd

I have played a bard before with the whole 2 levels of warlock: agonising plus hex. After a while, I hated that character. My playstyle had changed to a boring blaster and completely ruined what he was before. So I would caution others to have a good think about something like that before they decide. I have seen a lot of folks suggest this 2 level dip. Be careful is my answer.

All other suggestions super helpful, thanks.

The Magical Secrets picks depend on your group. My group is full of melee attackers: twf, frenzy barbarian, monk, and paladin. I chose Crusader's Mantle to give everyone an extra +1d4 damage. The monk and fighter in particular are doing a LOT more damage. In fact, I'm the only one that doesn't benefit from it. :erm:

Keravath

Explorer
Crusaders mantle sounds like an awesome pick for a melee heavy party.

In my case, I play the bard/warlock in DDAL so I never know what the party composition is going to be .. as a result, my picks tend to lean toward choices that can be good for any party. (For example, I’m considering Aura of Vitality to boost healing role since I only have healing word st the moment)

Keravath

Explorer
I have always been left disappointed when multiclassing. It always feels good until you play it in a group who haven't MC'd

I have played a bard before with the whole 2 levels of warlock: agonising plus hex. After a while, I hated that character. My playstyle had changed to a boring blaster and completely ruined what he was before. So I would caution others to have a good think about something like that before they decide. I have seen a lot of folks suggest this 2 level dip. Be careful is my answer.

All other suggestions super helpful, thanks.

Thanks for offering your perspective .. it is really useful.

My bard just reached level 7 .. bard 5/warlock 2. The warlock aspect was part of the base character concept so I knew from the beginning that they would lag a pure caster by two levels. He does blast more than a typical bard but in my case only rarely uses hex. Faerie Fire, hypnotic pattern are often better vs larger groups of opponents. I found hex a bit of a trap like you describe since once it was up there was a temptation to just spam eldritch blast which can get boring. On the other hand, I like having the flexibility. My character looks at the situation, and chooses what to do based on what is needed .. crowd control, debuffs, single target direct damage .. but I agree with you, if you let the character fall into always doing hex+eldritch blast he won’t be as effective or as much fun to play.

Remove ads