Are We Looking At A New RPG Kickstarter Record?

The current record for an RPG Kickstarter is John Wick's 7th Sea 2nd Edition, which made just over $1.3 million in about a month. Matt Colville looks like he might leave that in the dust with Strongholds & Streaming, however, having raised nearly half a million dollars in about 5 hours at the time of posting this, with a month to go!

The current record for an RPG Kickstarter is John Wick's 7th Sea 2nd Edition, which made just over $1.3 million in about a month. Matt Colville looks like he might leave that in the dust with Strongholds & Streaming, however, having raised nearly half a million dollars in about 5 hours at the time of posting this, with a month to go!

strong.jpg

Strongholds & Streaming is a dual Kickstarter - first to produce a 128-page hardcover book about building strongholds and attracting followers for D&D 5th Edition; and then with stretch goals related to Colville's streaming channel.

You can build four stronghold types - keeps, towers, temples, and establishments; these roughly correlate to warriors, arcane casters, divine casters, and rogue-types. The stronghold improves your class abilities, and attracts followers.

Stretch goals include miniatures, more pages, an an adventure (so far - he's blown through all those on there right now already).

You can see this epic Kickstarter here. I've never seen an RPG Kickstarter blow up quite so fast in so short a time!

Matt Colville writes the Critical Role comic, and has worked on various tabletop gaming projects, including the recent Star Trek RPG. He has worked on various mass-combat and starship combat rulesets. In addition, he runs a big YouTube channel about tabletop RPGs (D&D especially).
[FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT]

darjr

I crit!
I hope so! Matt Colville put together a little update video this morning when it was at $100 grand. He looked a little nervous. In a good way! :)

[video=youtube;2Clf7ENPGWE]Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Clf7ENPGWE[/video]
https://youtu.be/2Clf7ENPGWE

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
And THAT is half a million, folks. Holy crap. Matt will be a millionaire by the end of the day...

Another sign that D&D audience from streaming and streamers is massive. Colville is looking to make ten times what the ENWorld Touch of class raised... in a couple days.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Another sign that D&D audience from streaming and streamers is massive. Colville is looking to make ten times what the ENWorld Touch of class raised... in a couple days.

Oh, much, much more than that! It's quite addictive to watch! I'm kinda willing it to do a million in the first 24 hours.

Has Matt designed much before (I'm def not a D&D/game/geek stream watcher)?

EDIT: Amazing with no preview of the rules there, I thought there would be one for me to look at!

Last edited by a moderator:

If only somebody would put that information in an article!

Haha sorry should be more specific, DnD or 5E stuff! :blush:

"Hey everybody! My name's Matt Colville I'm a writer and designer in the video game business and before that I was a designer in the tabletop business!

I’m the author of the official Critical Role comic, I was the lead writer on Evolve, I was the lead writer AND a designer on Mercenaries, but before ALL THAT I was a designer in the tabletop business.

I was a designer on the original Dune CCG and the RPG. I worked on the Star Trek RPG, I did the starship combat rules for this..."

Its a good idea for a product...I mean the book part of it
Yeah, it's a type of product I was poking away at with the potential of being a DMsGuild book.

Has Matt designed much before (I'm def not a D&D/game/geek stream watcher)?

EDIT: Amazing with no preview of the rules there, I thought there would be one for me to look at!
He has a few credits here:
https://index.rpg.net/display-search.phtml?key=contributor&value=Matthew+Colville

He seems to have been involved in the prior Star Trek game, not the current one. And his dayjob is a video game writer.

Remove ads

Remove ads