Warriors of Waterdeep: New Free to Play D&D Mobile Game Coming Soon

Once again instead of making a really good CRPG based on 5th edition, they do a gimmicky game trying to cash in on a fad for a quick buck. Meanwhile Pathfinder: Kingmaker seems really awesome, aka the model for gaming that WotC should have been looking at.

Once again instead of making a really good CRPG based on 5th edition, they do a gimmicky game trying to cash in on a fad for a quick buck.

Meanwhile Pathfinder: Kingmaker seems really awesome, aka the model for gaming that WotC should have been looking at.

Zardnaar

Legend
It ain't the former king that is staying home and complaining that he deserves better... it's a handful of his subjects (you guys) that are complaining that he's staying home and deserves better. Neither Hasbro nor WotC seem all that concerned that there's no D&D video game out there on the scale of either Divinity or Dragon Age. That concern all comes from the handful of tabletop players out there for whom Divinity or Dragon Age isn't enough. ;)

Well it has been a while since we have had a good D&D rpg game, perhaps as far back as 2E for a great one.

Corpsetaker

First Post
How do you "waste" a license? It's not like WoTC has a finite number of them to give out. If somebody comes to them and says "Hey, I'd like to make you some money by making this mobile game and paying you for the privilege", they'd have to be pretty insane to turn it down.

Because if you're not careful your reputation can get damaged. *coughs Sword Coast Legends*

Corpsetaker

First Post
I don't play mobile games, but I hope it's successful I hope it earns buckets of money and they ask themselves "What can we do next?" and that next game is more up my alley.

In the mean time i'll be picking up NWN EE.

Also as much as I love CRPGs I don't think every D&D game should be an attempt to clone the TTRPG experience.

For example, I would play the hell out of an Overwatch style game where you pick a character based on one of the 12 classes which has a few iconic class abilities as their load outs.

Why would you want it to succeed? They would in turn continue to make these crappy games.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Because if you're not careful your reputation can get damaged. *coughs Sword Coast Legends*

What reputation? It ain't WotC or Hasbro that has taken a hit by SCL not being good... it was the company that developed the game. The D&D brand is flying higher than it ever has since perhaps the early 80s.

If any other company uses SCL as a barometer to judge success of a potential new game, the takeaway isn't going to be "Well, they used the D&D brand and that's why it failed"... it's going to be "n-Space and Digital Extremes didn't design and develop a very good game."

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Why would you want it to succeed? They would in turn continue to make these crappy games.

So what? It's not a zero-sum game. One company making a mobile game does not mean another company now cannot make a CRPG. Whether a company makes zero, one, or 100 mobile games has nothing to do with whether another company wants to make a AAA CRPG using the D&D brand.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester

Who do you mean? Ludia? They would never make the same game more than once. They wouldn't want to compete with themselves. The idea of a F2P game is to keep it going as long as possible.

Supercell made 1.8 Billion last year from F2P mobile games despite having not made a new game in years.

Or do you mean WotC? But that would be a silly question because WotC doesn't make video games.

I think if WotC/Hasbro starts to see big money from their licensing then well see more licencing opportunities, which could include games I would like to play. It's as simple as that.

Last edited by a moderator:

S

Sunseeker

What has taken the most damage is "D&D".

It has? I completely forgot SCL was even a thing. I don't think anyone I play with could even tell me what it is if I asked them "Hey guys, do you know what Sword Coast Legends is?"

Derren

Hero
It has? I completely forgot SCL was even a thing. I don't think anyone I play with could even tell me what it is if I asked them "Hey guys, do you know what Sword Coast Legends is?"

Yes it has. Previously when a D&D game was announced most people were instantly interested in it and at least followed the development as D&D stood for high quality RPGs.
But now many people dissmiss such an announcment as just another crappy game because that is what the name D&D has come to represent.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads