The Favourite Official D&D Products Ranked

Looking at EN World's reviews area, where the ratings of commenters are aggregated, it's interesting to look at which are the favourite official D&D books an which are less well-regarded. I've taken the items with 10 or more reviews and ranked them in descending order. Volo's Guide to Monsters is by far the favourite product, with Hoard of the Dragon Queen at the bottom of the list.

Looking at EN World's reviews area, where the ratings of commenters are aggregated, it's interesting to look at which are the favourite official D&D books an which are less well-regarded. I've taken the items with 10 or more reviews and ranked them in descending order. Volo's Guide to Monsters is by far the favourite product, with Hoard of the Dragon Queen at the bottom of the list.

51HEKg8LWtL._SY450_.jpg

1. Volo's Guide to Monsters (95.5%)
2. Tomb of Annihilation (92.5%)
3. D&D 5th Edition Dungeon Master's Guide (92%)
4. D&D 5th Edition Basic Rules (91%)
5. D&D 5th Edition Monster Manual (90.5%)
6. D&D 5th Edition Player's Handbook (90%)
7. Curse of Strahd (89.5%)
8. D&D 5th Edition Starter Set (87.5%)
9. Princes of the Apocalypse (87%)
10. Deluxe Dungeon Master's Screen (83%)
11. Out of the Abyss (80.5%)
12. The Rise of Tiamat (75%)
13. Tales from the Yawning Portal (69%)
14. Xanathar's Guide to Everything (67.5%)
15. Storm King's Thunder (67%)
16. Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide (61.5%)
17. Hoard of the Dragon Queen (52.5%)
[FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT]

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Hmmm... As long as we are speaking about interesting information that comes from a small sliver of the market (taken with a grain of salt), here's my store's rankings on the same books by SALES, for comparison to this information (for fun):

1. Player's Handbook
2. Starter Set
3. Dungeon Master's Guide
4. Monster Manual
5. Dungeon Master's Screen
6. Xanathar's Guide to Everything
7. Volo's Guide to Monsters
8. Sword Coast Adv. Guide <-- this surprised me, I thought it was a dud.
9. Hoard of the Dragon Queen
10. Out of the Abysss
11. Storm King's Thunder
12. Princes of the Apocalypse
13. Tales from the Yawning Portal
14. Rise of Tiamat
15. Curse of Strahd
16. Tomb of Annihilation

Now, to be fair, this is ranked in TOTAL UNIT SALES TO DATE, so stuff that has been out longer has an advantage.

Personally, I think the APs have consistently gotten better each one that comes out. Tomb is my favorite so far, and I've run (at least a little bit of) ALL of them.

Interesting.

(Feel free to ask questions).

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I'm still hoping that WotC will create a 5th Anniversary Hoard of the Dragon Queen that deals with the problems caused by not having a finalized ruleset or monster / encounter levels to use during original construction and playtest.

I enjoyed the section I played through (Chap 4 - 8). I could have stayed "on the road" for months.
When I took over as DM (about Chap 8.25) I was able to add in some FR lore, to help explain plot threads that had confused our group, which the text-as-written really didn't address well.

delericho

Legend
Went through the reviews for XGtE and the 2 star ones seem like blatant trolling.

As the author of one of those 2-star reviews, I can assure you that mine at least was not trolling. I felt that the material in the book was fine, but was very much not worth the money.

DRF

First Post
There's really not enough data here to say anything of worth. It's pretty interesting reading general reactions to new publications though. I've only played 5e for one year, but it's obvious as a newcomer which books are generally well-regarded (such as Strahd and Tomb) and which ones to avoid.

delericho

Legend
It is interesting, but I take all online reviews, ratings and rankings of products with not just a grain of salt, but a whole shaker. It is too easy for people to make a bunch of dummy accounts and mass spam either positively or negatively on anything. I am more likely to trust sites that only compile professional reviews.

To be honest, I find even professional reviews to be deeply unreliable - to the extent that at times I find myself wondering if they even saw the same film/read the same book/played the same game I did.

(Plus, far too many reviews contain spoilers, which is incredibly annoying, but that's another rant.)

What I do find useful, where possible, is to find someone whose tastes broadly match my own and then see what they say. Of course, even that isn't perfect. :)

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
This is like ranking the top three favorite Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Hint: There's only four of them. And Leonardo and Michaelangelo are tied for third.

collin

Explorer
Not surprised to see Hoard of the Dragon Queen and Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide at the bottom, especially HotDQ. That was a terrible first outing for an adventure campaign when launching a new/revised game system. Not to say it didn't have some good moments in it and good production values, but from the first page of the adventure it stank and could only get better. I guess it was the result of those 2 books that forced WotC's hand by choosing not to out-source more keep books from then on.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads