Fantasy and Science Fiction Writer Victor Milan Passes Away

American Fantasy and Science Fiction writer Victor Milan passed away after a battle with cancer. Probably known best for his Cybernetic Samurai science fiction series, Milan also wrote novels set in the Battletech, Mechwarrior and Forgotten Realms settings. He also wrote a number of Deathlands and Outlanders novels under the company pen name of James Axler for the adventure fiction imprint published by Harlequin Press' Gold Eagle Books.

American Fantasy and Science Fiction writer Victor Milan passed away after a battle with cancer. Probably known best for his Cybernetic Samurai science fiction series, Milan also wrote novels set in the Battletech, Mechwarrior and Forgotten Realms settings. He also wrote a number of Deathlands and Outlanders novels under the company pen name of James Axler for the adventure fiction imprint published by Harlequin Press' Gold Eagle Books.

Milan was also a gamer who was a fan of Call of Cthulhu and Superworld from the original Chaosium. Author George R.R. Martin credits Milan as the impetus behind the eventual creation of the Wild Cards setting, because he originally gave Martin a copy of the Superworld game that would spark the genesis of the world's creation. "Vic was an integral part of the series right from the very start, and the characters he created were among our most popular. Among them were the Russian ace Molniya, the Harlem Hammer, the twisted German psychopath Mackie Messer, Dr. Pretorius, Ice Blue Sibyl, Flipper, Dust, the Darkness... and above all, Mark Meadows, aka Cap'n Trips, and his 'friends' Jumpin' Jack Flash, Starshine, Moonchild, Aquarius, Cosmic Traveller, Monster... and the Radical. The long saga of Mark Meadows began in volume one, and was brought to a close in volume twenty, SUICIDE KINGS. It was a long strange trip indeed, and every step of it was exciting, thanks to Vic."

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
He also co-wrote the very high fantasy double trilogy The War of Powers which I've read and re-read multiple times over the past 30+ years. It's begging for a big or small screen treatment.

However, as the double scimitar fighting style of one of the major antagonists may have inspired Drizzle Douche'nozzle maybe I shouldn't hold these books in such high esteem.... ;)

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
He also co-wrote the very high fantasy double trilogy The War of Powers which I've read and re-read multiple times over the past 30+ years. It's begging for a big or small screen treatment.

Yeah, The War of Powers is quite good. I'm a fan of a lot of late '70s/early '80s fantasy, before too much D&D influence crept into the genre and, more importantly, before it became so formulaic with way too many POV characters you need a briefing book to keep track of.

However, as the double scimitar fighting style of one of the major antagonists may have inspired Drizzle Douche'nozzle maybe I shouldn't hold these books in such high esteem.... ;)

Huh, didn't recall that but you're right about the two scims. Of course there are other sources of that, too, including Indiana Jones.

RIP Vic Milan.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned

OMG, he wrote that? I love that series, especially the "Enemy of my Enemy is still a civilisation destroying God and maybe we should not have teamed up with them" vibe.

pnewman

Adventurer
Can't you just say "died"?

"Passed away" implies that there is somewhere else to "pass" to, and therefore excludes those who do not believe that.

Too bad he's dead.

pnewman

Adventurer
That's the first time I've seen someone triggered in that way by such a common euphemism.

It is a common euphemism. That just shows how common axiomatic theism is in American speech. This is assuming facts which are not in evidence.

Also isn't "triggered" is more of an emotional response? This is much, much, much more about what I think than it is about what I feel.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
It is a common euphemism. That just shows how common axiomatic theism is in American speech. This is assuming facts which are not in evidence.

Also isn't "triggered" is more of an emotional response? This is much, much, much more about what I think than it is about what I feel.

I'm not American. I prefer to use real English - I think it's actually an English idiom. That said, I don't see "axiomatic theism"; I see a euphemism that is used by people with a whole range of different beliefs.

So, yeah, you were triggered. It's always funny to watch especially with the "axiomatic theism" defence. You should have just slapped your forehead and said, "D'oh...."

Edit: Yep, it's not an American expression: https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/278400.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads