Trying to identify a deckbuilding game

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
So a played a Superhero-themed deckbuilding game several years ago. I think it was either DC or Marvel, but I'm nto 100% sure.

What I remember what that you started with a small deck that got shuffled often and had weak cards, and you defeated bad guys to recruit more cards. But if you took damage it put unplayable cards into your deck that took up space in your hand, but you could give up your turn to discard from you hand - and by later game you wanted to do that to get rid of some of the weak, starting cards as well.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

innerdude

Legend
I've played both. DC Deckbuilding is the more simple of the two, but also far less fun, due to the way card purchasing works. In 4 or 5 playthroughs, it always just felt very random. By the end I basically didn't care if I won or lost, because it's not like I could have strategized any better to improve.

Legendary is vastly more fun, but more complex, as you also have to build an "Encounter" deck in addition to setting up the available player card deck, but the end result is more dynamic, there's more available player options, and the overall hero/card powers seemed more fun.

If you've played any sort of deck building game at all (e.g., Dominion), either will be incredibly easy to pick up.

Sentinels of the Multiverse is a third entry in this genre, but it's slightly different than either DC or Legendary. The main difference is that villains and henchmen are dealt out individually to players, rather than to a collective "game board," and you're sort of playing your own card deck, rather than drawing from a community resource pool. It was okay, but in my opinion Sentinels of the Multiverse is essentially a vastly inferior version of Fantasy Flight's Lord of the Rings cooperative Living Card Game, which is one of my favorite tabletop games of all time.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Thanks everyone! Armed with those names I was able to look up images and it's Legendary.

CAFRedblade

Explorer
DC Deckbuilder, Marvel Legendary ( I recommend the fully Co-Op Legendary Encounters {Aliens, Firefly, Predator, in that order} or the stand alone Big Trouble in Little China, Buffy The Vampire Slayer)

But there is another that is really good ( better than the DC one in my opinion, and on par to Legendary) and that's Sentinels of the Multiverse. Not so much deck building, as each hero has a static deck. But
you play a card, and use a power on a card to attack/hold off a villain, or the environment card and then draw. Each hero has their own pool of HP, and the villain does as well. Two main core sets, (heroes and villains) plus lots of expansions. Very fun Superhero card game.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases