Not the best module to introduce D&D...

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
To "Intro To D&D" my son (5th grade at the time), I played through an early-Zelda dungeon and made notes & map, then converted every monster into a D&D creature. The Boss Monster became a homebrewed Skeleton Dragon whose "breath weapon" was a string of knuckle bones. He played 4 BECMI characters (to be simple and resilient).

S'mon

Legend
I started my 6 year old with Mentzer BECM rules, at his request his PC was a 4th level MU riding a white dragon. In his first adventure he defeated an enemy dragonrider, saved Karameikos, and married the princess.

He was hooked. :D

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
A) Censor the material to be non-fatal, rather than sticking to the adventure as written. Use non-lethal damage for most things, and make the lethal things obviously stand out as perilous by describing them in evil and ominous tones.

B) Fill out the party with NPC side-kicks to take the brunt of whatever player-killing doom is about to befall your main character.

C) Make death a painless or near-painless learning experience. Add Save Points, or even straight up All You Need Is Kill / Edge of Tomorrow / Ground Hog Day style repeats.

D) 8 was a long time ago for me... but I don't remember needing much narrative or excuses to roll dice. Ditch the modules and random up a showcase dungeon populated with rooms showing off a single sub CR 1 monster as a Munchkin example of What Its All Like. You can ease into the player-killing later.

The guy with two total posts is the one who nails it? Hmmm...

No dungeon is dangerous if the GM is wearing kid-gloves...

"The portcullis crashes down toward your head, and a horrible CLANG shakes your bones when the device derails, lodging the portcullis in place only an inch from your eyeball!"

Remove ads