D&D General Who would you cast as Drizz't? (Tiger Shroff Bollywood martial artist)

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Btw I’ve said it before and will say it again, all you need for the Drow to work is to visually show 2 things in the same movie. Warning: this is all adjacent to political discussion, so if it strays too far that way let me know and I’ll delete it.

A) Ethnically African Elves (and non elves played by Black actors) that aren’t drow. Also just imagine Michael B. Jordan as a Wood Elf with like two handaxes. Or Emma Thompson as a rad High Elf Bladesinger. *

2) Women in power in Good societies, being both Good and Strong, without making the movie about that. If it’s the Underdark trilogy (I don’t recommend it), then show the followers of Eelistree or whatever her name is. If it’s the LG trilogy or a later story, show one of the many powerful women of the Realms.

Because here is the thing that a lot of folks don’t understand about criticism of representation. An evil matriarchy isn’t inherently offensive. It’s offensive because we never see good, healthy, matriarchal societies. Same deal, until recently, with depictions of societies of most cultures of color in Western media.

Now, there’s no need to spend significant time on any of that. As long as Drizzt isn’t the only Black character with a real role in the movie, and the only depiction of a Black society isn’t an unsustainably chaotic evil caricature of a society, it will be fine.

I will accept your critique of my post that you quoted, it is very likely that I am out of touch as you say. I am not really familiar with D&D novels as a whole. Is there a relevant Drizzt novel with the characteristics that you mention above?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I will accept your critique of my post that you quoted, it is very likely that I am out of touch as you say. I am not really familiar with D&D novels as a whole. Is there a relevant Drizzt novel with the characteristics that you mention above?

There are plenty of female characters who fit that part. As for ethnic representation, I don’t see any particular reason that any given character in FR has to be a given ethnicity, unless they are specifically from Kara Tur or Maztica or something. Faerun is a wildly diverse place canonically, and elves have the same canonical range of coloration as humans.

So, any of the Drizzt books after he has left the Underdark should work.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
There are plenty of female characters who fit that part. As for ethnic representation, I don’t see any particular reason that any given character in FR has to be a given ethnicity, unless they are specifically from Kara Tur or Maztica or something. Faerun is a wildly diverse place canonically, and elves have the same canonical range of coloration as humans.

So, any of the Drizzt books after he has left the Underdark should work.
Is that not sidestepping the evil matriarchy thing? I was wondering where there Drizzt books where he was interacting with a good matriatchy?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Is that not sidestepping the evil matriarchy thing? I was wondering where there Drizzt books where he was interacting with a good matriatchy?

I may have communicated poorly. The good female characters of power give varied representation, existing in contrast to the evil drow matriarchy. There are no good societies in the realms where the ruling class is exclusively one gender, as far as I can recall. There are Good queens, however.

aco175

Legend
If it is Disney paying for this, I can see casting nobodies like the Star Wars movies and let them become movie stars. You book them for the trilogy and save the money. You may need a few marginal stars like in Harry Potter who are not cast as much these days and could come cheap. I would like to see a big Marvel series of several movies with character development and stories that are good, but am not holding my breath.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
I may have communicated poorly. The good female characters of power give varied representation, existing in contrast to the evil drow matriarchy. There are no good societies in the realms where the ruling class is exclusively one gender, as far as I can recall. There are Good queens, however.

Drizzt had quite a few run ins with Alustriel if I recall correctly.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases