PF2 Paizo Announces Pathfinder 2nd Edition! - Page 6
Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Time Agent (Lvl 24)

Quote Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
    That sounds a lot like The One Ring's Journey, Adventruing, and Fellowship phases. Matches the Exploration, Encounter, and Downtime modes. Sorta. Not exactly, but the concept seems similar.
    I was thinking of Downtime as more of a 4th pillar to go along with something like the three 5e has now. PCs would still be made to suit the initial three, as now; with Downtime being useful to all.

Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)

Meh. Outside my wheelhouse but good for them.

Time Agent (Lvl 24)

This is fascinating, and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what the playtest holds for us. I tend to lean toward simpler games as a preference--not too simple (5E is my current go-to), but simpler than Pathfinder was. OTOH, I also like having the option of a more complex system, but not too much more complex, for certain campaigns or groups.

I love the idea of a world where I'm an equal fan and eager player of both the current D&D and current PF iterations.

Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

I'm interested, but cautiously optimistic. For my own purposes, I looked forward to Starfinder but it turned out to be too complicated for me to figure out character creation just reading the book.

I remember when they came out with Unchained, and I was wondering if they'd use that to springboard off a new revised PF.5 or something, bundling the idea of traits and backgrounds and things all in together on a new core rulebook.

Can do nothing but wait and see. I'm super pessimistic about any conversion guidelines that promise more than "just remake characters from the ground up" and "you can use old published adventures but ignore all the stats and use the new stats instead".
    @Morrus: the link "Paizo has just announced" at the beginning appears to only point to the Paizo blog root, which I'm assuming will change over time. http://paizo.com/community/blog/v574...inder-Playtest is the link to the specific announcement post.

Dusty Dragon
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

I really hope that you are also looking at ... not so great things other systems *cough*5e*cough* have done, like the weird tension between short and long rest classes and how it puts weird constraints on encounters per day....

Quote Originally Posted by TheWriterFantastic View Post
    I have absolutely no problem with more customization, as long as it's balanced enough to not require system mastery to have an effective character. Also, fast character creation and leveling are important. My observations were only that, based on how the blog presented the topics in a descriptive manner sans mechanics. All in all, though, I'm excited. August 2 can't come soon enough!
    I agree with this sentiment. I joined a game where I had to make a 7th level character, and I, perhaps foolishly, decided to make a Magus. The sheer amount of work and reading up this required was ... well a bit ridiculous. Please, keep it simpler PF folks!

Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)

I really do hope that this is 5e compatible math-wise. I think that there would be a big market for it. It doesn't even need to be compatible character wise. Just rules and math.

Dusty Dragon
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

Quote Originally Posted by Usus View Post
    I wonder how this ties into Starfinder?
    How much is Starfinder an inbetween product of PF 1st and 2nd ed (if at all)? Or is Starfinder going in a third direction - or is it discotinued, when PF 2nd comes out?

Also I like their initiative concept and might try and reverse engineer it into my D&D 5th game.
    I hope it's not too much like starfinder. We played a one-shot to familiarize ourselves with the rules before a new campaign and.... decided to go back to pathfinder. The rules were underwhelming.

Time Agent (Lvl 24)

Quote Originally Posted by Remathilis View Post
    I can't imagine there is much market left for a P1e clone, esp since the PFSRD doesn't disappear after 2e is out. At best, you might see a few niche companies still produce 3.5/PF1e compatible stuff, but I doubt another company will make its own Core Rulebook.
    Which brings up the question: once PF2 comes out will Paizo continue to officially support PF1? If yes then all PF fans get the best of both worlds.

This to me is a huge mistake WotC has repeatedly made: when 3e came out they produced a 2e-to-3e conversion document and then dropped all support for previous editions like a hot potato; and when 4e came out they kicked 3.5e to the curb (which is why PF exists at all). They dropped 4e when 5e came out but then - oddly enough - kinda waved at supporting 1e via some reprints.

Lan-"and now we need different terms for PF editions [I suggest PF1 and PF2] and D&D editions [I suggest 1e, 2e etc. as now] or this is gonna get real confusing real fast"-efan

Greater Elemental (Lvl 23)

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Mona View Post
    Is this in response to the idea that maybe hit points are more of a general thing that might not relate to actual hits, but is a more abstract sense of a character's physical well being or something? I just want to make sure I understand where you're coming from before I try to answer your question!
    Pretty much, yeah. Throughout the history of D&D, and leading up through Pathfinder, you could always narrate that a successful hit in combat was an actual hit, such that now you have suffered some abstract physical injury and need to rest for a while (or drink a potion or something).

When D&D forked in the other direction, one of the biggest changes was that all HP damage healed instantly overnight if not sooner. It made it very difficult to seriously narrate a successful attack as actually having hit you. We know that the giant didn't actually hit you, because you're good as new after you took a nap.

I want to know that Hit Point damage is an abstract measure of a character's physical well being, and not a combination of vague handwave-y whatevers that only exist as a game mechanic.

Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaodi View Post
    I, for one, welcome our new Pathfinder 2 Overlords.

I just want to know how much Reactions will muck up PbP compared to now. Because PbP is, unfortunately, the only gaming I get to do.
    You'll probably want to avoid them in PbP, or at least have players set a SOP so if the trigger comes up you don't have to ask them whether they want to do it.

And thank you for welcoming us.
    XP Kaodi gave XP for this post