Pathfinder 2E At Gary Con

Paizo is at the Gary Con convention this week, and is demoing Pathfinder 2nd Edition there. Here's a couple of photos! No juicy tidbits yet, unfortunately, but hopefully some will emerge over the next couple of days.

Paizo is at the Gary Con convention this week, and is demoing Pathfinder 2nd Edition there. Here's a couple of photos! No juicy tidbits yet, unfortunately, but hopefully some will emerge over the next couple of days.

In the first photo, Stephen Radney-MacFarland demos Pathfinder 2nd Edition in this awesome photo from Beth Damis on Twitter.

DXyY85yU8AATDD9.jpg

Paizo's Jason Bulmahn took a photo of his copy of the Pathfinder 2nd Edition playtest rules.

DXttC_jXcAImACM.jpg

[FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT]

doctheweasel

Explorer
That seemed a little odd to me as well. I think it is because they want to maximise hype for the pre-orders.

They likely need that time to line up the printing/distribution.

If they were to release the pdf now (assuming it's 100% ready for prime time which is unlikely) the printed version would come out behind 5 months of existing feedback, and basically be out of date the minute it hit shelves.

Stacie GmrGrl

Adventurer
I wish they weren't so intent on using GenCon as the release date for the playtest just to release physical product for it.

Shouldn't the playtest phase be as long as possible to work out as many kinks as possible so the game can be as good as possible?

Announcing it 5 months ahead of time yet not doing the actual playtest so they can maximise sells of the playtest book seems like a lot of wasted time that could otherwise be used for actual playtesting.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I wish they weren't so intent on using GenCon as the release date for the playtest just to release physical product for it.

Shouldn't the playtest phase be as long as possible to work out as many kinks as possible so the game can be as good as possible?

Announcing it 5 months ahead of time yet not doing the actual playtest so they can maximise sells of the playtest book seems like a lot of wasted time that could otherwise be used for actual playtesting.

They've been working on it for four years, apparently. That will have involved a lot of playtesting we don't know about. This is just the last phase of the playtesting.

DM Howard

Explorer
They likely need that time to line up the printing/distribution.

If they were to release the pdf now (assuming it's 100% ready for prime time which is unlikely) the printed version would come out behind 5 months of existing feedback, and basically be out of date the minute it hit shelves.

I guess that is kind of my point. Do they really NEED to release printed playtest books? No, they WANT to do so to ensure a little double-dipping for Pathfinder 2E adopters. I'm not begrudging them money, but it is clear as day that they are delaying the PDF release to build up anticipation to pre-order. A playtest no less.

Zarithar

Adventurer
I guess that is kind of my point. Do they really NEED to release printed playtest books? No, they WANT to do so to ensure a little double-dipping for Pathfinder 2E adopters. I'm not begrudging them money, but it is clear as day that they are delaying the PDF release to build up anticipation to pre-order. A playtest no less.

Agreed 100%. The 5e playtest was 100% free from 2012 onwards up until release. I didn't spend a dime until the actual, finalized rule books were released and yet I got hundreds of pages of free content that I was able to use during the lengthy playtest period. To say that I have my reservations about this would be an understatement.

jimtillman

Explorer

they released paper beta books originally also
i know ill be buying it

Shasarak

Banned
Banned

A once in a life time chance to get a limited edition Deluxe Hardback?

My mind says no but my heart says yes. ;)

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
A once in a life time chance to get a limited edition Deluxe Hardback?

My mind says no but my heart says yes. ;)

Comic book stores loved you in the 90s I bet :)

Maybe the playtest document will come with 6 different covers by different artists each featuring a different character class, and one of which is a hologram in a specially printed polybag!

Zarithar

Adventurer
Comic book stores loved you in the 90s I bet :)

Maybe the playtest document will come with 6 different covers by different artists each featuring a different character class, and one of which is a hologram in a specially printed polybag!

Foil embossed! Yes... you folks are the target demo for sure. P.T. Barnum would be proud!

Remove ads

Remove ads