So...am I evil??

Am I evil? (5e on the shelf 4e in the garage...inc).

• Absolutely...Chaotic Evil

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • More Neutral Evil

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • Possibly Lawful Evil

Votes: 11 12.9%
  • Nah...More Chaotic Neutral

Votes: 9 10.6%
  • Neutral

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Wierd, but I think it's Lawful Neutral

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Chaotic good only possible in 5e (not 4e)

Votes: 11 12.9%
  • Definately...Neutral Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Actually, the opposite...Lawful Good

Votes: 6 7.1%

Obryn

Hero
I would have voted in the poll, but I didn't see an option for 'garbage parenting.'

I think you should feel ashamed of yourself and try to make amends. I have no idea what your relationship is with your kid, but this is the equivalent of breaking up with someone by leaving all their stuff in a bag on your front porch.

Osgood

Adventurer
Noice! Let the kid know he must follow the crowd and conform to what all the cool kids are into. It will serve him well when his friends get into heroin and white supremacy.

Ahh, it reminds me of when my mother threw away all my 1E "devil-worship" books when I was at school. That really built trust between us.

Satyrn

First Post
I think I'm the only one who thinks this was fine.

888.jpg

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Tonight was traumatic for my son. He has been a hardcore 4e player and DM. I've gotten tired of 4e.

I've gotten a little tired of 4e and so today, while he was out, I took the entirety of his 4e collection. I put them in a file case (so he didn't lose them, they are now just out of site) and put them in storage. I then got every 5e book out thus far except for Volo's and Xanathar's and put them on his shelf where the 4e books used to be.

He came home and couldn't speak for a minute or two. I told him everyone else is playing this version, it's time for him to join our crowd. He asked if he didn't like 5e if I would put the books back...I said...we'll see. I then said, I'll play a 5e or AD&D game with him anytime he's interested as long as I'm available...but I'm not going to do that with 4e anymore.

Don't get me wrong, I like 4e, but recently I've gotten tired out of trying to keep track of all the powers and abilities...plus...in his last campaign I could not find the cards for the class I was playing (Ranger) anymore online, so I had to write down all the powers on pieces of paper (and that made my hand hurt at times when I was copying these things down). So now...it's 5e (or AD&D) or nothing...at least for the present.

I told him he should at least give it a shot...so now...he has all these new 5e books on the shelf. He asked how much I spent on this...I said...a LOT, but if he plays this...it's going to be worth it.

His reaction...not so happy with me. He's at least said he'll give it a shot. I'm hoping he'll like the simplicity of it.

Sooooo....throwing out his 4e books (well, not throwing them out, putting them in his storage area) and replacing them wholesale with 5e....

Does that make me evil?

Yes. Yes it does.

MechaPilot

Explorer
I think I'm the only one who thinks this was fine.

I believe so. Taking away your (presumably adult) child's stuff for admittedly selfish reasons (as opposed to talking away his keys because he's drunk) instead of just talking to him like a person is an extreme first step. It shows a lack of respect for the child, and it shouldn't be your go-to move for dealing with something as trivial as a game (a game we all love and are passionate about, but a game nonetheless).

Satyrn

First Post
I believe so. Taking away your (presumably adult) child's stuff for admittedly selfish reasons (as opposed to talking away his keys because he's drunk) instead of just talking to him like a person is an extreme first step. It shows a lack of respect for the child, and it shouldn't be your go-to move for dealing with something as trivial as a game (a game we all love and are passionate about, but a game nonetheless).

Yeah, the OP really does make it sound horrible, but I think his followup posts show he was exaggerating for effect,

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
:cool: Well...you see...that's the catch. Recently I've been the ONLY player. I've humored him (yeah, I have my MAIN character, but in truth, I get to play two others along with the one I mainly focus on as my henchmen), but everyone else has moved over to my weekday game instead of his 4e gaming.

I figure that he just needs a little nudge along. He still has his books, but he really needed to catch up with the group. I can't drop him as his dad so obviously I keep playing...but even with my like of 4e...that was a bit much. He still has his books if he wants to go back to them in the future...but for now...I'm trying to get him to get into the game the rest of us have been playing...either that or play AD&D as I'd prefer that recently to playing 4e. (AD&D at least is easier for me to handle multiple characters and can be built for you handling henchmen).

Love him...but got sick of the game. At least he looked at the 5e books this evening. He can't say he can't afford the books anymore (I got him all of them...so that's definitely NO an excuse), though he still likes the 4e art. He DID ask me to order Volo so that's a good sign.

If he takes this and runs with it, maybe he'll bring back the rest of the guys (and girl) to game with him on Saturdays like we used to.

Ah, see now this looks way less evil!

GameOgre

Adventurer
Parenting is hard but you do seem a bit overbearing.

One thing I would be concerned about as a parent is mooching your kids friends and players for your own game. I understand wanting to play with your kids and also wanting to add rpg'ers to your own circle of friends but it sounds like your son wants to DM. Steeping on his toes and running a game with those folks might not be in his best interests!

I mean big surprise you DM better than your son! How many more years practice and experience over him do you have?

I think you should enjoy playing with your son and put him first and your hobby second. You can run a game with your own older friends at other times and let him have the spotlight and gain the experience he needs to improve his craft with rpg's.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Cue music...

And the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man in the moon
When you coming home, dad?
I don't know when
But we'll get together then
You know we'll have a good time then

Excuse me...

Remove ads