A First Real Look At The Reincarnated 'Into The Borderlands'!

Goodman Games has posted a whole pile of photos of its 5th Edition conversion of Into The Borderlands. First announced in March 2017, these books were available for pre-order in January of this year. Now, the pre-orders are shipping very soon, and photos abound! This is the first in a series of "Original Adventures Reincarnated" line. (Thanks to Jeremy for the scoop!)

Goodman Games has posted a whole pile of photos of its 5th Edition conversion of Into The Borderlands. First announced in March 2017, these books were available for pre-order in January of this year. Now, the pre-orders are shipping very soon, and photos abound! This is the first in a series of "Original Adventures Reincarnated" line. (Thanks to Jeremy for the scoop!)

The hardcover includes:

· Restored scans of two complete printings of the original B1: In Search of the Unknown. Specifically, the second and sixth printings, one featuring the original monochrome cover and the other featuring the later color cover by Darlene.
· Three complete monster and treasure assortments for stocking the dungeons of In Search of the Unknown (which are “un-stocked” in the original 1E edition).
· Restored scans of two complete printings of the original B2: The Keep on the Borderlands. Specifically the second and fourth printings. These are distinguished the change in monster stats between the two printings (Dexterity scores were included in early printings). The later printing also features six interior illustrations that were not present in earlier printings.
· A complete, “pure” 5E conversion of In Search of the Unknown, including tables for stocking it with creatures.
· A separate chapter with a few new encounters for the Caverns of Quasqueton, all inspired by references in the original work.
· A complete, “pure” 5E conversion of The Keep on the Borderlands.
· A separate chapter with a few new encounters for The Keep on the Borderlands, all inspired by references in the original work.
· Appendices with 5E stats for newly introduced monsters, hirelings and followers, and magic items.
· A chapter of introductions and testimonials.

You can read the full interview with Chris Doyle on Goodman Games site.

ITB_COver.JPG

gg2.jpg

gg3.jpg

gg4.jpg

gg5.jpg

gg6.jpg

gg7.jpg

gg8.jpg

gg9.jpg

gg10.jpg

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Was skeptical. More so now. IMO, the maps that were the inside of the removable covers fair better in that format than they do just printing them across two pages.

But, glad this is actually coming out and that those who want it will be able to get it. I'll just go pull my copies out of the closet when I'm feeling nostalgic.

:)

I hear you, but in my second year of college I came back to school with boxes of my RPG stuff and traded it all with some SCA friends for several cases of homemade wine and mead. They took it all to Gen Con and sold it off. I thought I was moving into a new phase of my life and didn't forsee getting back into the hobby 25 years later.

All I have from those days is a copy of the first issue of polyhedron signed by Gary Gygax, an issue of Dragon Magazine I was published in, and some board and historical war games I designed (for me and my friends or as school projects, not published). Some friends also returned some old binders of my high-school campaigns for 1e and Warhammer.

Yeah, I can buy a lot of the old 1e stuff from the used section of my FLGS, but I'm playing 5e and it isn't "my old stuff" so I've never felt drawn to buy the used stuff even though it is fun to page through. But the Goodman games format gives me a way to enjoy old material AND play it with the new system without having to do any conversion work. I've preordered Into the Borderlands, if it doesn't disappoint I anticipate throwing a lot of money at this series if Goodman Games continues it.

Last edited by a moderator:

PyroArrow

Explorer
Cool.

I wish Goodman had also included a thorough write-up of the subsequent appearances of those two locales, such as:

• The placement of the Keep and Caverns in the Known World of Mystara, from the Blue Box map.
  • The connecting segways with other B-modules in B1-9: In Search of the Unknown, set in Mystara.
  • The official placement of the Keep in the Yeomanry in Oerth. (I forget which book gave that placement.)
  • Return to the Keep on the Borderlands. 2E. Set in an generic world. A WotC rep said the "Greyhawk" logo on the back cover was a mistake and misnomer.
  • The Little Keep on the Borderlands, licensed for Hackmaster
  • Quest for the Unknown, licensed for Hackmaster
  • Keep on the Borderlands 3e novel. Presumeably set in Oerth.
  • The placement of the Keep in the 4e world of Nerath. (So the Keep officially exists in at least three D&D worlds: Mystara, Oerth, and Nerath.)

Did I miss any?

I would guess there would be some sort supplement in the works with more information and VTT Maps, tokens, and artwork, which can also be printed out for the players.

Here is a link to a site selling the new book, "Into the Borderlands", from Goodman games for $34.97:

https://www.gamenerdz.com/original-adventures-reincarnated-1-into-the-borderlands-preorder

...I've preordered Into the Borderlands, if it doesn't disappoint I anticipate throwing a lot of money at this series if Goodman Games continues it.
I hope it's successful. If it does well, it will only help the industry :)

I would guess there would be some sort supplement in the works with more information and VTT Maps, tokens, and artwork, which can also be printed out for the players.

Don't expect VTT versions. My understanding is that Goodman Games absolutely refuse to license anything they publish to any VTT. I get the impression they are actually hostile to the idea.

I hope I'm wrong on that, but memory usually doesn't fail me in these things.

PyroArrow

Explorer
I hope it's successful. If it does well, it will only help the industry :)

Don't expect VTT versions. My understanding is that Goodman Games absolutely refuse to license anything they publish to any VTT. I get the impression they are actually hostile to the idea.

I hope I'm wrong on that, but memory usually doesn't fail me in these things.

What I meant was like a supplemental pdf of the maps, artwork and tokens, that you can copy/paste into a VTT or print out for your players.

However, if they had the manpower to produce VTT versions of the book that would be cool as well, would save a whole lot of time for the DM to set the game up and of course could double for use at the real table-top if you have a nearby screen or over head projector.

I plan to start a real table-top campaign using "Into the Borderlands", and miniatures. I would then print out the various artwork and even area descriptions for the players.

BMaC

Adventurer
I pre-ordered this and eagerly await its arrival. Let's be clear, there's more than nostalgia to this--these are both outstanding adventures. Among other valuable benefits, Keep on the Borderlands teaches the essential monster vocabulary to new players, and it's loads of fun. As others have said, I would have preferred pull out maps. However I understand why these were not included (price). I'll high-res scan the maps and print them out.

Joseph Nardo1

First Post
Partially depends on how big the party is. They do not have an easily broken down XP chart, but I think there are enough hooks and monsters to get characters to 4th or 5th.
this might be what I could use as a segway to princes of the apocalypse. I don't really like the chapter six adventures in apocalypse. My group has already been through the minds of the starter set.

vonschlick

Explorer
Anyone know where I can get this online at a discount? The link above says out of stock. I don't play much anymore, but I would like to buy it for the memories, just not for $50.

Remove ads

Remove ads