A First Real Look At The Reincarnated 'Into The Borderlands'! - Page 3
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Was skeptical. More so now. IMO, the maps that were the inside of the removable covers fair better in that format than they do just printing them across two pages.

But, glad this is actually coming out and that those who want it will be able to get it. I'll just go pull my copies out of the closet when I'm feeling nostalgic.
    :-)

I hear you, but in my second year of college I came back to school with boxes of my RPG stuff and traded it all with some SCA friends for several cases of homemade wine and mead. They took it all to Gen Con and sold it off. I thought I was moving into a new phase of my life and didn't forsee getting back into the hobby 25 years later.

All I have from those days is a copy of the first issue of polyhedron signed by Gary Gygax, an issue of Dragon Magazine I was published in, and some board and historical war games I designed (for me and my friends or as school projects, not published). Some friends also returned some old binders of my high-school campaigns for 1e and Warhammer.

Yeah, I can buy a lot of the old 1e stuff from the used section of my FLGS, but I'm playing 5e and it isn't "my old stuff" so I've never felt drawn to buy the used stuff even though it is fun to page through. But the Goodman games format gives me a way to enjoy old material AND play it with the new system without having to do any conversion work. I've preordered Into the Borderlands, if it doesn't disappoint I anticipate throwing a lot of money at this series if Goodman Games continues it.
    Last edited by MNblockhead; Wednesday, 21st March, 2018 at 05:50 AM. Reason: typos
    XP bedir than, tsw512 gave XP for this post

Quote Originally Posted by Polyhedral Columbia View Post
    Cool.

I wish Goodman had also included a thorough write-up of the subsequent appearances of those two locales, such as:

• The placement of the Keep and Caverns in the Known World of Mystara, from the Blue Box map.
    • The connecting segways with other B-modules in B1-9: In Search of the Unknown, set in Mystara.
    • The official placement of the Keep in the Yeomanry in Oerth. (I forget which book gave that placement.)
    • Return to the Keep on the Borderlands. 2E. Set in an generic world. A WotC rep said the "Greyhawk" logo on the back cover was a mistake and misnomer.
    • The Little Keep on the Borderlands, licensed for Hackmaster
    • Quest for the Unknown, licensed for Hackmaster
    • Keep on the Borderlands 3e novel. Presumeably set in Oerth.
    • The placement of the Keep in the 4e world of Nerath. (So the Keep officially exists in at least three D&D worlds: Mystara, Oerth, and Nerath.)

Did I miss any?
    I would guess there would be some sort supplement in the works with more information and VTT Maps, tokens, and artwork, which can also be printed out for the players.

Here is a link to a site selling the new book, "Into the Borderlands", from Goodman games for $34.97:

https://www.gamenerdz.com/original-a...lands-preorder

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Nardo1 View Post
    how many possible levels of advancement for 5e is this? It says mini campaign which means to me level 1-5.
    Partially depends on how big the party is. They do not have an easily broken down XP chart, but I think there are enough hooks and monsters to get characters to 4th or 5th.

The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

Quote Originally Posted by MNblockhead View Post
    ...I've preordered Into the Borderlands, if it doesn't disappoint I anticipate throwing a lot of money at this series if Goodman Games continues it.
    I hope it's successful. If it does well, it will only help the industry

Quote Originally Posted by PyroArrow View Post
    I would guess there would be some sort supplement in the works with more information and VTT Maps, tokens, and artwork, which can also be printed out for the players.
    Don't expect VTT versions. My understanding is that Goodman Games absolutely refuse to license anything they publish to any VTT. I get the impression they are actually hostile to the idea.

I hope I'm wrong on that, but memory usually doesn't fail me in these things.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    I hope it's successful. If it does well, it will only help the industry

Don't expect VTT versions. My understanding is that Goodman Games absolutely refuse to license anything they publish to any VTT. I get the impression they are actually hostile to the idea.

I hope I'm wrong on that, but memory usually doesn't fail me in these things.
    What I meant was like a supplemental pdf of the maps, artwork and tokens, that you can copy/paste into a VTT or print out for your players.

However, if they had the manpower to produce VTT versions of the book that would be cool as well, would save a whole lot of time for the DM to set the game up and of course could double for use at the real table-top if you have a nearby screen or over head projector.

I plan to start a real table-top campaign using "Into the Borderlands", and miniatures. I would then print out the various artwork and even area descriptions for the players.

Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)

I pre-ordered this and eagerly await its arrival. Let's be clear, there's more than nostalgia to this--these are both outstanding adventures. Among other valuable benefits, Keep on the Borderlands teaches the essential monster vocabulary to new players, and it's loads of fun. As others have said, I would have preferred pull out maps. However I understand why these were not included (price). I'll high-res scan the maps and print them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Myrdin Potter View Post
    Partially depends on how big the party is. They do not have an easily broken down XP chart, but I think there are enough hooks and monsters to get characters to 4th or 5th.
    this might be what I could use as a segway to princes of the apocalypse. I don't really like the chapter six adventures in apocalypse. My group has already been through the minds of the starter set.

Novice (Lvl 1)

Anyone know where I can get this online at a discount? The link above says out of stock. I don't play much anymore, but I would like to buy it for the memories, just not for $50.

The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

Quote Originally Posted by vonschlick View Post
    Anyone know where I can get this online at a discount? The link above says out of stock. I don't play much anymore, but I would like to buy it for the memories, just not for $50.
    Read the thread? About half a dozen posts before you is a link.

@LordEntrails, that website lists it as out of stock...