A First Real Look At The Reincarnated 'Into The Borderlands'!

Goodman Games has posted a whole pile of photos of its 5th Edition conversion of Into The Borderlands. First announced in March 2017, these books were available for pre-order in January of this year. Now, the pre-orders are shipping very soon, and photos abound! This is the first in a series of "Original Adventures Reincarnated" line. (Thanks to Jeremy for the scoop!)

The hardcover includes:

· Restored scans of two complete printings of the original B1: In Search of the Unknown. Specifically, the second and sixth printings, one featuring the original monochrome cover and the other featuring the later color cover by Darlene.
· Three complete monster and treasure assortments for stocking the dungeons of In Search of the Unknown (which are “un-stocked” in the original 1E edition).
· Restored scans of two complete printings of the original B2: The Keep on the Borderlands. Specifically the second and fourth printings. These are distinguished the change in monster stats between the two printings (Dexterity scores were included in early printings). The later printing also features six interior illustrations that were not present in earlier printings.
· A complete, “pure” 5E conversion of In Search of the Unknown, including tables for stocking it with creatures.
· A separate chapter with a few new encounters for the Caverns of Quasqueton, all inspired by references in the original work.
· A complete, “pure” 5E conversion of The Keep on the Borderlands.
· A separate chapter with a few new encounters for The Keep on the Borderlands, all inspired by references in the original work.
· Appendices with 5E stats for newly introduced monsters, hirelings and followers, and magic items.
· A chapter of introductions and testimonials.

You can read the full interview with Chris Doyle on Goodman Games site.

ITB_COver.JPG

gg2.jpg

gg3.jpg

gg4.jpg

gg5.jpg

gg6.jpg

gg7.jpg

gg8.jpg

gg9.jpg

gg10.jpg

Barantor

Explorer
I can't wait to get my mitts on my copy. Goodman Games is great with print products and this looks to be on par with that.

dave2008

Legend
I must admit I wasn't overly interested in this product, but after seeing it - I'm starting to get interested. I real nostalgia pull that I didn't expect. If it shows up at my local FLGS I may just pick it up.

Does anyone know if/when this will be available at retail locations? I would love to pick it up with MToF

Barantor

Explorer
I must admit I wasn't overly interested in this product, but after seeing it - I'm starting to get interested. I real nostalgia pull that I didn't expect. If it shows up at my local FLGS I may just pick it up.

Does anyone know if/when this will be available at retail locations? I would love to pick it up with MToF

Probably after preorders have theirs, which hasn't happened yet. They had a limited amount of preprints they sold at Garycon.

Was skeptical. More so now. IMO, the maps that were the inside of the removable covers fair better in that format than they do just printing them across two pages.

But, glad this is actually coming out and that those who want it will be able to get it. I'll just go pull my copies out of the closet when I'm feeling nostalgic.

I picked up a copy at GaryCon. I like the book (and the bonus ToA dice set given at GaryCon was nice) but it falls short in a few ways. They did not upgrade the maps in any appreciable way for the 5e version and (as noted above) printing the maps across the inside cover just does not cut it.

You can find fan made maps that are much nicer and even the DCC module maps are better. For the price of the book and the older versions coupled with the newer versions, I really feel they should have invested in maps made to a much more modern standard. They also could have done a better job with the layout. There just is too much white space for the monster stat blocks, for example. The look too much like printing from word onto a regular sheet of paper.

I rate the book A for the nostalgia and the articles on the older versions and a B overall because the 5th edition conversion really falls short. I am happy that I have it, but they really could have done better considering the price. If they had added a map insert, with newer and upgraded maps and cleaned up the layout, it would be close to an A over all.

Joseph Nardo1

First Post
I picked up a copy at GaryCon. I like the book (and the bonus ToA dice set given at GaryCon was nice) but it falls short in a few ways. They did not upgrade the maps in any appreciable way for the 5e version and (as noted above) printing the maps across the inside cover just does not cut it.

You can find fan made maps that are much nicer and even the DCC module maps are better. For the price of the book and the older versions coupled with the newer versions, I really feel they should have invested in maps made to a much more modern standard. They also could have done a better job with the layout. There just is too much white space for the monster stat blocks, for example. The look too much like printing from word onto a regular sheet of paper.

I rate the book A for the nostalgia and the articles on the older versions and a B overall because the 5th edition conversion really falls short. I am happy that I have it, but they really could have done better considering the price. If they had added a map insert, with newer and upgraded maps and cleaned up the layout, it would be close to an A over all.
how many possible levels of advancement for 5e is this? It says mini campaign which means to me level 1-5.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases