Should I share my game world with you folks?

Should I share more of my world? Maps? Lore?

• Yes, I'm interested!

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Sure, couldn't hurt.

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • No, not interested, unfortunately.

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • Heck no! Your world is garbage and wont add anything!

Votes: 3 7.5%

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
"Munchkins" is a little...silly?, but maybe that's kind of what you're going for. There are lots of options (there was a thread here or on rpg.net about other terms for a halfling race, but I can't find it right now). They probably wouldn't call themselves "halflings", unless they have quite the self-deprecating sense of humor or just got tired of correcting all the taller folk.

jgsugden

Legend
There are dozens of high quality campaign worlds available for sales, and hundreds more 'amateur' worlds available at little to no costs.

If you put in the effort to add artwork, have professional editing, etc... and want to sell it - and you manage to accumulate good reviews for it - you might see some people using it, and even more buy it and cannibalize parts of it. It sounds like your materials are far shy of that level of professional content.

If you don't make it a professional work, then you may get a few lookie-loos that download it, but it will not be widely used. It doesn't hurt to post it, but I would not expect to see it 'do much'. However, there are a number of folks out there that do want to 'help' by criticizing things like this, so I would not choose to do this unless I had a thick skin. I believe you'd be far more likely to hear more criticism than praise, regardless of the quality of the work.

This is the trend with most of the campaigns 'made available', whether posted to ENWORLD, dropped onto GM's Guild, or sold via Kickstarter.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
If you want to sandbox your setting, or if you want lots of ideas and reactions and input, then yeah - post it here.

If you want to "just" write up your setting in a presentable format and make it available to the world, then make sure it reads well and has decent layout and go sell it as "pay what you want" on RPGNow and/or DM's Guild or whatever. I've bought plenty of good, usable material that had not-great art, so focus on the writing, editing, content, and presentation. Also, you can always offer an updated version later for previous buyers, or expansions, or a 2nd edition with whistles and bells, or...

Basically: if you want your stuff out there, get it out there. Just make sure it's presentable and easy to use.

Last edited:

Slit518

Adventurer
Not unless you want to! As @ART! said, you should just ignore non-constructive criticism, but not everyone can do that easily. I just wanted to warn you of it, because I've experienced myself on another forum.

If you do put it out, I'd suggest simply not responding to non-constructive criticism, and focusing on those who offer legitimate advice.

Whoops! I mistakenly read your post last night as "ripping off" instead of "ripping to shreds."

The ripping to shreds part doesn't bother me. I've been around many forums for almost 2 decades. Constructive criticism and feedback is nice, destructive criticism gets ignored.

I appreciate you giving me a heads up though.

No harm in sharing your ideas. Go for it!
But I think the poll is kinda sketchy.

Just curious, why is that?

Inchoroi

Adventurer
You could share pared-down versions of stuff, and then publish with all the whistles and bells...?

You could, yes! But you have to do so in a careful way; don't give away the homeworld (I've always wanted to say that). Its important to make it clear what makes your setting different and unique, and its up to you to make it that way while still being playable (that is, if you plan to publish it; if you don't, then it doesn't really matter as long as you and your players are having fun).

I, for one, love settings that are close to real world ideals in a pseudo-medieval sort of way; dukes, barons, counts, serfs, slaves, etc. I also like a very-detailed history but also with lots of room to add in new stuff; and I like having detailed hexcrawl maps, because I'm very hard to please.

EDIT: Also, please make your rivers/swamps/deserts/grasslands/mountains at least make a modicum of sense!

Just curious, why is that?
It’s always hard to judge tone on the Internet, so you could have meant the poll as a joke. But it gave me the impression of being a little too self-depreciating. You could share some of your world with us and decide if the responses are worth posting more without a “my world is hot garbage” poll option. Or any poll at all. =P

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
Stonewalls - these ones, from birth rub gravel and rocks into their skin, causing it to callus and harden. From the scabby wounds rocks eventually get embedded and become one with their flesh. These ones are largely inspired by Native American myth.

This is a really cool visual concept you have for the Stonewalls.
Do they get something like the Goliath's Stone's Endurance trait? It would make perfect sense to me.

Æragul - this is an ancient, magical race that has been long extinct. They live deep underground and leave mysterious runes and ruins throughout an unknown world of darkness. All that remains are artifacts from a time long past, protected by golems made long ago. Any sub-races dealing with them would deal with the four elements, Air, Earth, Fire, Water.

Interesting . . . Aside from the sub-race idea, they remind me of the Vahnatai from the Avernum computer game series, if the Vahnatai had died out.

If you're unfamiliar with the Vahnatai, they were basically seven-foot tall Roswell Grays that lived in the Underdark, were a precursor race to most every other humanoid life-form, wielded flambergs in battle, and channeled their memories and magical powers into crystals.

Remove ads