3D Printing Minis

MechaPilot

Explorer
[MENTION=151]WizarDru[/MENTION]

Thank you for the thorough reply. I greatly appreciate getting some information from someone who owns a 3d printer and has specifically used it to try to print 28MM scale minis. Also, I would very much like to see some of your results.

I confess I didn't expect a low price range 3d printer to be great for printing minis. That said, I can manage something in the $1,000 U.S. price range, provided it's a one-time capital investment that will last me at least 5 years.

WizarDru

Adventurer
[MENTION=151]WizarDru[/MENTION]

Thank you for the thorough reply. I greatly appreciate getting some information from someone who owns a 3d printer and has specifically used it to try to print 28MM scale minis. Also, I would very much like to see some of your results.

I confess I didn't expect a low price range 3d printer to be great for printing minis. That said, I can manage something in the $1,000 U.S. price range, provided it's a one-time capital investment that will last me at least 5 years.

The funny thing here is that price isn't quite the determiner of print quality that you might think, at least not for FDM printers. At their heart, they are incredibly stupid machines: just a set of stepper motors, a heating element, some rails and some control hardware. That's a large reason that they CAN be that inexpensive. Another reason is that the hardware is pretty standardized AND the control software used by most printers is open-source (a version of Arduino's firmware). Because of those facts, a company like Monoprice, CReality and others can manufacture relatively decent units on the cheap. And because they are open-source, the community supports software that works on most machines (though not universally so). HOWEVER, spending more on a printer gets you both better features, better equipment and actual support, not to mention reliability. A company like market leader/innovator Prusa Research can develop a printer like the Mk 3, which has all sorts of features (filament detection, job pausing, advanced print bed, auto-leveling, quiet mode and more) that an inexpensive printer won't. I purchased the Robo3D R1+ because I was frustrated with the relatively small print bed (and thus print size) and general fidgetiness of my Printrbot. In honesty, the Printrbot has been out of commision for months after a difficult attempt at a hardware upgrade and it's been too much effort to fix it (though eventually I'll get to it).

Now let's talk about the challenges of printing. There are several challenges with printing using FDM. One issue is, as I mentioned, the necessity for support material. When you sculpt something and create a mold, you can afford details like outstretched arms, wings, long necks, pointing swords or whatever...things that stick out from the mini over empty space. They can do this because you're essentially pouring a liquid into a glass (of course you also get mold lines, but that's another story). 3D printing works by stacking layer upon layer to make a composite image (if you've ever seen the anime/manga Gantz, the visually disturbing way that they teleport is essentially 3D printing them). To work around this limit, software creates supports...think of them as scaffolding for the parts of your print that have gaps beneath them. Supports are designed to give your print something to start a layer on, but then be removed. This works well for difficult prints...but it becomes much more complicated at 28MM scale, where the supports tightly intertwined with the print and hard to remove (and possibly as big as the print itself). Removing that material will also leave with you a surface that will need cleaning like a traditional mini, possibly involving sanding and other methods.

The smaller scale of a mini means that you're not going to see the same level of detail that you might see from a traditional mini sculpt. To compare a highly-detailed bones sculpt with a 3D print will often be unfavorable to the 3D printed one. Part of this is due to the nozzle size: an FDM printer is basically a hose. Plastic filament is fed directly through to the 'hot-end' which is exactly like what it sounds: a metal tube that melts the filament to a liquid. The stepper motor feeds the filament into the hot-end at a careful regulated speed, which pushes the liquid plastic out the nozzle, which by default is .4 mm in diameter. This is the reason you are limited (usually) to 100mm for a layer. A resin printer can go down to 25mm...so it can create a much more detailed print. FDM printers do support additional nozzles which allow you to go down to that size, but we encounter a different problem there: speed. A 3D printer needs to go much slower with a smaller nozzle, because the smaller hole means it can force less plastic through it in the same amount of time. So the higher detailed print goes up dramatically in terms of time.

I'm going on about all of this only to give you an idea of the challenges that you can face. I LOVE 3D printing and think it is AMAZING. There is a big community of gamers making game stuff in 3D printing, from bespoke board game accessories to minis, 3D terrain and all sorts of accessories. You can do a lot. But it is not always easy. There are moments when you want to throw it out a window. And then you figure it out or fix it and life is good. But it's not a turnkey solution.

So here are two examples of mini prints from Hero Forge I've done, provided to me by people at my game meetups:

harpist.jpgpaladin.JPG

The character in white took three prints to get right. His coat and sword required extensive support material, which is why he looks so rough around the edges. Some sanding will be required to make him look 'table-ready'. This paladin (sorry for the black filament) took 5 prints to get around this level (I later figured a way to make him look better, but don't have a pic handy). He has Assimar wings, which were a challenge due to the support material ripping off his wings when removed and his hammer over his head often turned into a gloppy melted mess. I did better.

So as you can see, you can do them; you just need to expect that unless the mini was designed well or with 3D printing in mind, it may need a lot of work to get a successful print. With some paint, flocking and TLC, you can produce some really nice output:
groot.JPG

WizarDru

Adventurer
Here is an example of some attempts to print a new mini and the difficulties therein. Note the support material.
Also note that one of the minis has a melted glob of plastic for a head, poor guy.

645d311aae5cab810117948e067994e9.jpg
cf5833af7bc05aabd6da666db88651c8.jpg

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
If you want an inexpensive way to build armies, consider buying a paper-cutting machine like a Silhouette or Cricket.

You buy the print files from someone like One Monk Miniatures or Paper Heroes (both on DriveThruRPG), you print them on card stock, you then feed the printouts into the paper cutter and it will cut everything out.

Most of the better designers will provide the front and back in one piece that can be folded over. I useually glue together with a glue stick and I may touch up the edges with a sharpie--but that's entirely optional.

You can buy bases made for 2D miniatures from litko or you can print and cut your own. One Monk provides the base designs and cut files with his miniatures. For durability and to save on crafting time, I prefer just buying a bunch of Litco bases.

I'll print 50 zombies the night before a game for the cost of paper and ink. You have to replace the cutting blade in the cutting machine now and then but i've had mine for well over a year and have not had to replace it yet.

The intitial calibration and testing to get the best and fastest cut for the paper can take a bit of experimentation, but for the most part the software makes it pretty simple.

Another benefit is storage. I can put large number of 2D miniatures in a a small plastic drawer in craft drawer that could only hold a handful of 3D minis. I have so many 2D minis now (both printed by me and plastic 2D minis from Arc Knight) that I have a large box and have the minis in envelopes placed in the box in alphabet order. I carry many hundreds of minis in what is basically a large shoebox.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Hey, guys this forum is really cool and useful as for me and I hope you could help me too! Does someone use/know the best things how to organize time? Nowadays this is hot topic I guess but I couldn't find the info on this forum's topics..thus I decited to ask here..maybe I'm old one and I still use onplanners.com notebooks
 so it'll be interested if you could suggest smth:) maybe app

Do you mean tracking in-game time?

I use the Time Tracking Tool available on the DM Assistance blog: https://olddungeonmaster.com/2016/08/20/dd-5e-time-tracking-tool/

It is a simple print out that makes it each to check off time. You can track up to four days on one sheet. I only use this when I need to track effects or otherwise determine how long they have spent in a location or doing certain activities.

For campaign tracking, I just use a spreadsheet. I used to use RealmWorks for my prior homebrew campaign, but now that I'm running a published AP, I find that more work than it is worth. Much easier to jot some notes in a spreadsheet. Actually, I do less than that now. For my Curse of Strahd campaign I use the time wheel print outs and write general notes on the page regarding what happened, when certain things will happen, etc. After the game, I'll quickly jot down some session notes and notes for beginning the next session.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases