Gygax IP To Be Made Available For Video Games

I don't usually cover video games on this site, but this news item involves D&D co-creator Gary Gygax. Gail Gygax (Gary's wife) contacted me last week about this -- unpublished work by Gary Gygax is to be made available for video game developers to develop using a "community publishing platform" named Fig.

47f407db0aa3e1e46166c5dc6308c437.png

Fig describes itself thus: "Fig is a community funding and publishing platform for independent video games. Fans back games on Fig to get exclusive rewards, or invest to earn returns from game sales." To be honest, I'm not quite sure I understand it, but it kind of looks like Kickstarter but your funds are an actual investment. The press release is below.

The Gygax Trust and Community Publishing Platform Fig Collaborate to Bring Unpublished Works To Life

Unpublished Works from Famed Game Designer and Co-Creator of Dungeons & Dragons Will Be Made into Video Games Using the Fig Platform

Fig, the only community publishing platform created by gamers for gamers that offers rewards and investment-based funding, and the Gygax Trust, who owns unpublished I.P. from Gary Gygax, the famed game Designer and Co-Creator of Dungeons & Dragon, are working to develop and publish video games based on Gary’s works that formed the inspiration for creating Dungeons & Dragons. Leveraging Fig’s community publishing platform, the Gygax Trust will work with Fig to find developers for Gary’s I.P., launch Fig campaigns, and publish several titles. Additional information will be announced later this year.

“The worlds and characters to be discovered in my husband’s unpublished intellectual property are an incredibly important part of his legacy,” commented Gail Gygax.
“Therefore, it was paramount that we partner with an advanced and innovative platform such as Fig that gave us complete control of his creative vision.”

“As a gamer, I wanted to bring my father’s works to life in a medium that I enjoy. I’m looking forward to working with talented developers who love my father’s work as much as I do,” said Alex Gygax, CEO of Gygax Games.

“At Fig we already offer our partners a full channel of services without forcing them to limit their creative endeavor, from helping them find the right developers for a project, to funding, and all through the development cycle to launch. Gary’s unpublished works were some of his most cherished, shared only with his closest friends, and now we will help the Gygax family bring them to gamers,” said Justin Bailey, CEO, Fig.

Fig is democratizing video game publishing by inviting the community to financially support the development and release of games they love. Fans can back a game funding campaign on Fig to get exclusive rewards or invest in Fig Game Shares to earn returns based on game sales. Fig Game Shares are available to both accredited and non-accredited investors, in accordance with the SEC’s Regulation A+ (JOBS Act).

Each series of Fig Game Shares generate returns from the sales of individual titles. Investors can earn returns from revenue shares from Fig’s publishing operations, distribution arrangements, publisher and first party buyouts, and advances on distributions. Since its inception in August 2015, Fig has had four of the top 10 most funded video game campaigns: Obsidian’s Pillars of Eternity 2 ($4.4M), Psychonauts 2 ($3.8M), Wasteland 3 ($3.1M) and Phoenix Point ($766K).

Three Fig games have already driven positive returns for Fig investors: Fig investments related to Annapurna’s Outer Wilds (developed by Mobius Digital) more than doubled; sales from Kingdoms & Castles (developed by Lion Shield) tripled investments; and Trackless (developed by 12 East Games) and Solstice Chronicles: MIA (developed by Ironward) have generated sales, with Solstice Chronicles driving positive returns for Fig investors. In 2018, a dozen new releases will launch including the follow-up to
Obsidian’s Game of the Year title, Pillars of Eternity 2, Julian Gollop’s Phoenix Point, Make Sail, Flash Point and Solo in Q2.

Alex Gygax was interviewed by Polygon. He speaks a little about some of the available Gygax IP -- "One of the major ones that everyone knows about is his personal dungeon. It was his personal D&D campaign that he had never released to the public. He didn’t want his game nights being destroyed by publishing his work and then having his group go out and buy it and find out all of his secrets. So that’s one of the main things that we have to use, and all the little side derivatives of that.”

Alex says that "Pen and paper is a dying art. Computer games, video games, they’re the next generation, the next wave of games and I’ve always wanted to see them on that new medium and I’ve always wanted to be working with someone who’s excited as I am about it.”

Of course, the statistics from sources like ICv2 show that tabletop gaming -- and, indeed tabletop roleplaying games -- have been growing rapidly for years, not dying. Since 2013 the hobby game market has gone from $700 million to $1.4 billion, with tabletop RPGs leaping from $15 million to $45 million, a threefold growth in just the last five years.

darjr

I crit!
I would too, seeing that even WotC is hasn’t yet gotten a 5th edition video game out yet, it won’t be easy.

Why not add on or also do a tabletop product to aid their efforts? Paizo did and at least that part seemed popular.

timbannock

Adventurer
Supporter
I'm confused about this. Pen & paper isn't dead: Critical Role and other streaming shows, as well as various podcasts, as well as DnDBeyond and other initiatives show that pen & paper is quite alive *and* that their brands can be huge. WOTC is riding D&D as a brand rather than D&D as primarily a TRPG and no one in their right mind doubts their success going that route.

The Gygax name is a great brand, but it's tarnished in the industry directly because of Gygax Games' handling. Does it have enough appeal separate from D&D to be a brand in another industry? Not a big one, I bet. Middle of the road, maybe. But if they then put Legendary Adventures on top of that, I think it'd be weaker. If they do a megadungeon "the real Greyhawk" thing, will that be a big enough splash to turn Gygax into a powerful brand? Doubtful.

IMHO YMMV

I think this is a very tunnel-visioned way to approach Gygax anything. And saying pen and paper is dead when the industry and specifically the D&D brand that Gygax is most closely associated with are hugely successful just shows that they haven't done their research into that industry, so why should I think they'll do their research elsewhere?

timbannock

Adventurer
Supporter
Don’t be confused. One person got something wrong. No need to stress. :)

Ha! True. I think the confusion is more in how myopic their view of how to handle the Gygax name has been. But that too is something I should get over; it's been 10 years ;-)

ddaley

Explorer
I wonder if they are accounting for the fact that producing a video game these days requires a much larger investment. So, even though video games may bring in more $ on kickstarter, they are going to cost much more to produce... and the time required to complete a video game is much longer. Producing a table top setting/campaign/etc would probably be a better return on investment and they would see the money sooner. And, producing the table top material would not preclude producing a video game in addition to the TT products.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
While I wish them all the best, the idea of taking a lead bartender whose understanding of the underlying industry is "P&P is dying" and then making him CEO does not augur well for this being a success in a very crowded and competitive market. And Lejendary Adventures was, ahem, about as good a game as Cyborg Commando. I don't know if that's the game you want to be referring to in your first press release....

Shadow Demon

Explorer
Gygax was at a creative high from 1974 to 1985. It was all downhill from there. The only possible thing of interest are the scattered notes from this time period for Castle Greyhawk.

Otherwise as has been stated, it has been 10 years. Luke Gygax honored his father in the best possible way so far with GaryCon. WotC was next with the reprints before the release of 5e and making all of his TSR-era material available through OneBookShelf in either PDF or POD.

The rest being spearheaded by these two will be of little consequence.

Xavian Starsider

First Post
If EGG were still around, I doubt he would agree with his son's sentiment that pen and paper are a dying art.

The digital release of Gygax's IP might prove to be a wonderful way to extend the Gygax legacy. But I think it's clear that Alex is not part of that legacy. Especially by insulting the people most likely to care about the Gygax name. Who does he think the target audience is?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
If EGG were still around, I doubt he would agree with his son's sentiment that pen and paper are a dying art.

None of us can possibly know what he would think. Let’s stick to our own opinions, and not try to represent those who aren’t around any more, eh?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
It would make sense if they released for new publication the Lejendary Adventures stuff. I think they'd made good money if they adapted A Challenge of Arms (1998) and The Ritual of the Golden Eyes (1999) for 5e. A Lejendary Earth setting book for 5e would do well also. Lots of interesting creatures (A whole book in fact - Beasts of Lejend) and magic items could be adapted for 5e in the Lejendary Adventures books. I am sure they could put together a nice Kickstarter from that group of material and some modern writers.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases