Midgard Heroes Handbook for 5th Edition

5 out of 5 rating for Midgard Heroes Handbook for 5th Edition

A lot of gamers have been anxious for more character options for 5th Edition, with the official releases just whetting the appetite. Even Xanathar’s Guide to Everything barely quenched the continual desire for splat. The Heroes Handbook should help alleviate that, providing a wealth of balanced options for the game. A couple year back, when I was looking at the couple racial PDFs from Kobold Press and wishing they’d do more rules options… well, they delivered what I was hoping and more. Oh so much more.

This book isn’t perfect and there are some small quirks and imperfect rules. A few bits of awkward design. But it’s close enough and nothing should break your game. And if anything proves to be a tad imbalanced, it should be easy enough to tweak at the table.

This is simply a must have book for any 5th Edition table. (Excluding those running Adventurer’s League.) It’s great if you’re running Midgard, but there’s also more than enough to make it a solid purchase for games using other setting. And, for DMs, the options here can enrich your world with new people and factions. You might buy it and decide to add ley lines to your world. Or gearforged and related cyborg mercenaries.
Or a god of alcoholic drink. Because every setting with an adventurers needs a deity of beer and spirits.

Read my full review here: http://www.5mwd.com/archives/4719

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend

I rated this at 5 stats, its probably more of a 4.5 but overall this is a very very good book and very pretty. There are around 50 new archetypes several of which are very interesting and they seem mostly balanced as well and should not overshadow the PHB to much. The book is also a great source of mining for ideas, and you could easily add leylines to your own world for example. The main negative is the racers do tend to be underwhelming with a few exceptions and by that I mean the races are a bit more like the Dragonborn and Drow from a power level and several outright suck. If you have this and Xanathars I don't think you would be lacking in options anytime soon for 5E.

Akodoken

Explorer

Midgard is a fantasy setting with all the usual trappings but it is blended so it has a unique feel to it. This book is packed to the gills with character options which bring the flavor of Midgard to life. This is the perfect tool for players who are playing a Midgard campaign, as essential as the Player's Handbook itself.

Remove ads