What rules and mechanics from other systems would you like to import into your 5e games?

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
there are a few rules that I haven't imported from 3e but I would consider:

50% miss chances in darkness/when blind. The advantage/disadvantage doesn't work great for that. There was a discussion lately where it was concluded that with RAW, fog cloud didn't protect you from ranged attacks. I'm sorry but that's madness.

Crit ranges and multipliers: It was a nice way to distinguish weapons. This feels less important though.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I was going to mention the escalation die. I haven't imported it yet, because 1) the bounded accuracy of 5E makes it a little too potent, and 2) I'd want to develop a bunch of escalation die-based powers, too. But I'd love to see it happen.

You should write an article!

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
I just did some research on this and it looks very similar to 4E rules on skill challenges. I'm unsure how it differs besides having the visual (is the visual public?)

You can view progress clocks like a much more flexible and less formal skill challenge, which fits in better with 5E's design I think. I attached the page about them from the quick-start.

Here are the big differences that I can pick out:

1. The amount of segments you tick for success/failure varies by approach. In a 4E skill challenge, it's always 1 success or 1 failure. But in Blades, the default is 2 -- but it could be 1 for an ineffective approach, or 3 for a very effective approach or a very high roll. This makes the thing feel less artificial, because you really have to think about what you are doing to advance the clock.

(This is what the quick-start is talking about with "effect levels." Every action you take in Blades has an effect that is rated from 1-3, with 2 being the "standard effect." Lots of modifiers apply to effect level. It's like, imagine if advantage/disadvantage could apply to damage instead of accuracy.)

2. You're supposed to show the clocks (except maybe the faction clocks which represent secret schemes -- but those can be discoverable). The clock is specifically indicative, not prescriptive. Meaning, the clock shows your progress, but does not determine it. So it can tick (or un-tick!) based on things other than rolling dice. The number of successes required can change. It's a tool to measure and communicate progress being made, so it's supposed to reflect the situation, not govern the situation.

3. You are supposed to use them for all sorts of things, big and small, quick and long-term. A 4E skill challenge was mostly phrased as an encounter. Progress clocks often happen in the background, ongoing, as part of other activities. They can just sort of appear and disappear as needed.

Attachments

• progress_clocks.pdf
    170.2 KB · Views: 188

TheSword

Legend
Pathfinders Kingdom Building rules a great from the Ultimate Campaign. I keep track of the stats and scores and present the events and decisions in a non mathmatical way. It means the players don’t need to learn a new sub system but there is some logic to the world building.

pogre

Legend
It's a neat system you got there.

Jonathon raised another question that I'm curious about, too: can the wands use multiple charges on a single use?

Thanks.

Yep. So let's say an item has an ability that requires three charges - roll dice one at a time for each charge expended after the ability goes off.

The funny thing is, in my experience, PCs get more careless with charges when it gets to d4. Not sure why, except maybe they just want it to go out with a bang.

Fanaelialae

Legend
there are a few rules that I haven't imported from 3e but I would consider:

50% miss chances in darkness/when blind. The advantage/disadvantage doesn't work great for that. There was a discussion lately where it was concluded that with RAW, fog cloud didn't protect you from ranged attacks. I'm sorry but that's madness.

Crit ranges and multipliers: It was a nice way to distinguish weapons. This feels less important though.

I found that fog cloud / darkness not being able to protect against attacks counter intuitive myself. Which is why I house ruled that in those cases the attack has disadvantage (and the defender does not grant advantage as a result of being blind). It does mean that if two people are fighting in a darkness spell they are more likely to miss each other (which can be a bit boring) but I'm okay with that.

Technically, there is a way to use darkness defensively in RAW, it's just not intuitive. You have to interpose the darkness between yourself and your attacker (meaning they are treated as blind to attack you, but you are not blind).

As for rules I'd like to import, I'd love to find a way to bring in the dying rules from Tenra Bansho Zero (kind of a heroic last stand). I've made a few attempts, but I've never been been quite satisfied with what I've come up with.

Remove ads