Harassment Policies: New Allegations Show More Work To Be Done

The specter of sexual harassment has once again risen up in tabletop gaming circles. Conventions are supposed to be places where gamers and geeks can be themselves and embrace their loves. Conventions need clear and well formulated harassment policies, and they need to enforce them. In this instance the allegations from multiple women have taken place at gaming conventions and gathering in different locations around the country. In one case, the harassment was took place over the course of years and spilled over into electronic formats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The specter of sexual harassment has once again risen up in tabletop gaming circles. Conventions are supposed to be places where gamers and geeks can be themselves and embrace their loves. Conventions need clear and well formulated harassment policies, and they need to enforce them. In this instance the allegations from multiple women have taken place at gaming conventions and gathering in different locations around the country. In one case, the harassment was took place over the course of years and spilled over into electronic formats.

The alleged harasser in these cases was Sean Patrick Fannon, President of Evil Beagle Games, Brand Manager for Savage Rifts at Pinnacle Entertainment Group, as well as being a game designer and developer with a long history in the tabletop role-playing industry.

There is a long and untenable policy of harassment at conventions that stretches back to science fiction and fantasy fandom in the 1960s. Atlanta's Dragon*Con has been a lightning rod in the discussions about safety at geeky conventions after one of the convention's founders was arrested and pled guilty to three charges of molestation. We have also covered reports of harassment at conventions such as Paizo Con, and inappropriate or harassing behavior by notable industry figures. It is clear that clear harassment policies and firm enforcement of them is needed in spaces where members of our community gather, in order that attendees feel safe to go about their hobby. Some companies, such as Pelgrane Press, now refuse to attend conventions where a clear harassment policy is not available.

Several women have approached me to tell me about encounters with Fannon. Some of them asked not to be named, or to use their reports for background verification only. We also reached out to Sean Patrick Fannon for his comments, and he was willing to address the allegations.

The women that I spoke with had encounters with Fannon that went back to 2013 and 2014 but also happened as recently as the summer of 2017. Each of the locations were in different parts of the country, but all of them occurred when Fannon was a guest of the event.

The worse of the two incidents related to me happened at a convention in the Eastern part of the United States. In going back over texts and messages stretching back years the woman said that it "is frustrating [now] to read these things" because of the cajoling and almost bullying approach that Fannon would use in the messages. She said that Fannon approached her at the con suite of the convention, and after speaking with her for a bit and playing a game with a group in the suite he showed her explicit photos on his cellphone of him engaged in sex acts with a woman.

Fannon's ongoing harassment of this woman would occur both electronically and in person, when they would both be at the same event, and over the course of years he would continue to suggest that she should engage in sexual acts, either with him alone, or with another woman.

Fannon denies the nature of the event, saying "I will assert with confidence that at no time would such a sharing have occurred without my understanding explicit consent on the part of all parties. It may be that, somehow, a miscommunication or misunderstanding occurred; the chaos of a party or social gathering may have created a circumstance of all parties not understanding the same thing within such a discourse. Regardless, I would not have opened such a file and shared it without believing, sincerely, it was a welcome part of the discussion (and in pursuit of further, mutually-expressed intimate interest)."

The second woman, at a different gaming-related event in another part of the country, told of how Fannon, over the course of a day at the event, asked her on four different occasions for hugs, or physical contact with her. Each time she clearly said no to him. The first time she qualified her answer with a "I don't even know you," which prompted Fannon after he saw her for a second time to say "Well, you know me now." She said that because of the multiple attempts in a short period of time that Fannon's behavior felt predatory to her. Afterwards he also attempted to connect with her via Facebook.

Afterwards, this second woman contacted the group that organized the event to share what happened and they reached out to Fannon with their concerns towards his behavior. According to sources within the organization at the time, Fannon - as with the first example - described it to the organizers as a misunderstanding on the woman's part. When asked, he later clarified to us that the misunderstanding was on his own side, saying "Honestly, I should have gotten over myself right at the start, simply owned that I misunderstood, and apologized. In the end, that's what happened, and I walked away from that with a pretty profound sense of how to go forward with my thinking about the personal space of those I don't know or know only in passing."

Both women faced ongoing pressure from Fannon, with one woman the experiences going on for a number of years after the initial convention meeting. In both cases he attempted to continue contact via electronic means with varying degrees of success. A number of screen shots from electronic conversations with Fannon were shared with me by both women.

Diane Bulkeley was willing to come forward and speak on the record of her incidents with Fannon. Fannon made seemingly innocent, and yet inappropriate comments about her body and what he wanted to do with her. She is part of a charity organization that had Fannon as a guest. What happened to her was witnessed by another woman with whom I spoke about that weekend. As Bulkeley heard some things, and her witness others, their experiences are interwoven to describe what happened. Bulkeley described this first encounter at the hotel's elevators: "We were on the floor where our rooms were to go downstairs to the convention floor. I was wearing a tank top and shirt over it that showed my cleavage. He was staring at my chest and said how much he loved my shirt and that I should wear it more often as it makes him hot. For the record I can't help my cleavage is there." Bulkeley went on to describe her mental state towards this "Paying a lady a compliment is one thing, but when you make a direct comment about their chest we have a problem."

Later on in the same day, while unloading some boxes for the convention there was another incident with Fannon. Bulkeley described this: "Well, [the witness and her husband] had to move their stuff from a friends airplane hangar (we all use as storage for cars and stuff) to a storage until next to their house. Apparently Sean, while at the hanger, made grunt noises about my tank top (it was 80 outside) while Tammy was in the truck. I did not see it. But she told me about it. Then as we were unloading the truck at the new facility Sean kept looking down my shirt and saying I have a great view etc. Her husband said to him to knock it off. I rolled my eyes, gave him a glare and continued to work. I did go and put on my event day jacket (light weight jacket) to cover up a little."

The witness, who was in the truck with Fannon, said that he "kept leering down at Diane, glancing down her shirt and making suggestive sounds." The witness said that Fannon commented "'I'm liking the view from up here.'"

Bulkeley talked about how Fannon continued his behavior later on in a restaurant, having dinner with some of the guests of the event. Fannon made inappropriate comments about her body and embarrassed her in front of the other, making her feel uncomfortable throughout the dinner.

Bulkeley said that Fannon also at one point touched her hair without asking, and smelled it as well. "[Fannon] even would smell my long hair. He begged me to not cut it off at a charity function that was part of the weekend's event." She said that he also pressed his pelvis tightly against her body while hugging her. These incidents occurred at a convention during the summer of 2017.

Fannon denies these events. "The comments and actions attributed to me simply did not happen; I categorically and absolutely deny them in their entirety."

When asked for comment, and being informed that this story was being compiled Fannon commented "I do not recall any such circumstance in which the aftermath included a discourse whereby I was informed of distress, anger, or discomfort." He went on to say "The only time I recall having ever been counseled or otherwise spoken to about my behavior in such matters is the Gamers Giving/Total Escape Games situation discussed above. The leader of the organization at that time spoke to me specifically, asked me to be aware that it had been an issue, and requested I be aware of it in the future. It was then formally dropped, and that was the end of it until this time."

There were further reports; however, we have respected the wishes of those women who asked to remain anonymous for fear of online harassment. In researching this article, I talked to multiple women and other witnesses.

About future actions against the alleged behaviors he also said "It is easy, after all, to directly attack and excise obviously predatory and harassing behavior. It is much more difficult to point out and correct behavior that falls within more subtle presentations, and it's more difficult to get folks to see their actions as harmful when they had no intention to cause harm, based on their assumptions of what is and isn't appropriate. It's good for us to look at the core assumptions that lead to those behaviors and continue to challenge them. That's how real and lasting change within society is achieved."

Fannon's weekly column will no longer be running on E.N. World.

Have you suffered harassment at the hands of someone, industry insider or otherwise, at a gaming convention? If you would like to tell your story, you can reach out to me via social media about any alleged incidents. We can speak confidentially, but I will have to know the identity of anyone that I speak with.

This does open up the question of: At what point do conventions become responsible for the actions of their guest, when they are not more closely scrutinizing the backgrounds of those guests? One woman, who is a convention organizer, with whom I spoke for the background of this story told me that word gets around, in the world of comic conventions, when guests and creators cause problems. Apparently this is not yet the case in the world of tabletop role-playing game conventions, because there are a growing number of publishers and designers who have been outed for various types of harassing behavior, but are still being invited to be guest, and in some cases even guests of honor, at gaming conventions around the country. The message that this sends to women who game is pretty clear.

More conventions are rolling out harassment policies for guests and attendees of their conventions. Not only does this help to protect attendees from bad behavior, but it can also help to protect conventions from bad actors within the various communities that gather at our conventions. As incidents of physical and sexual harassment are becoming more visible, it becomes more and more clear that something needs to be done.

additional editorial contributions by Morrus

Thomas Bowman

First Post
Wow. Just :):):):)ing wow, man. The level of misogyny in some posts in this thread has been really astonishing.

I'm not saying all women will do this, so this is not misogyny. There are some evil women out there however just like their are evil men, to admit this is not misogyny. The result is this man has to keep seeing this woman in order to keep her silent and keep his marriage going, otherwise that mistress can do some damage to his marriage or even worse, she could accuse him of sexual harassment or even rape. In essence she could rape him by holding the threat of imprisonment over his head if he does not continue this sexual relationship with her! This would be involuntary sex, thus rape, she could even rip her clothes and claim it was a sexual assault, she could prove he had sex with her, and they guy wishing to stay out of jail would have no choice but to keep on having sex with her, and would have to face the legal consequences to end it.

This is definitely possible as all women definitely are not angels and you can't say that none would ever do this.

DM Magic

Adventurer
And women who have been harmed by sexual assault won't be helped if you make it easier for them to send people to jail willy nilly. Women have got to use their smarts of they want someone to be arrested for sexual assault, it can't just be her word against his and her word always wins! Women who are truly victims of sexual harassment need to present proof, not just to get her female friends to agree that the man in question is a creep! So the standard then becomes, whoever loses a popularity contest with women goes to jail. That is the standard I don't want to get set, because it means all those popular guys get on those women falling over themselves, while the losers get sent to jail for sexual harassment based on some woman's word on it alone.

Women can also use this as a form of blackmail to keep a relationship going that otherwise would have ended a long time ago. Lets say a woman is having a relationship with a married man, and the married man is feeling guilty and he wants to end it with her so he can go back to his wife, but the mistress says, "Oh no you don't, you are coming right back here to bed with me every Friday, we will keep it discrete, but if you ever break up with me, then I will blab and break up your marriage! So you be a good boy and come to bed with me right now or their will be consequences!"

How... how is it possible for these words to tumble from your mouth without you realizing how misogynistic they are?

Thomas Bowman

First Post
How... how is it possible for these words to tumble from your mouth without you realizing how misogynistic they are?

How is it misogynistic if it is not a blanket accusation of all women? Some women are good others are bad, just like men are, that is why we need proof not just hearsay!

S

Sunseeker

Wow. Just :):):):)ing wow, man. The level of misogyny in some posts in this thread has been really astonishing.

For someone who self-admitted to not interacting with women other than his wife for 30 years, he sure seems to know a lot about the way women operate!

Jeanneliza

First Post
I'm not saying all women will do this, so this is not misogyny. There are some evil women out there however just like their are evil men, to admit this is not misogyny. The result is this man has to keep seeing this woman in order to keep her silent and keep his marriage going, otherwise that mistress can do some damage to his marriage or even worse, she could accuse him of sexual harassment or even rape. In essence she could rape him by holding the threat of imprisonment over his head if he does not continue this sexual relationship with her! This would be involuntary sex, thus rape, she could even rip her clothes and claim it was a sexual assault, she could prove he had sex with her, and they guy wishing to stay out of jail would have no choice but to keep on having sex with her, and would have to face the legal consequences to end it.

This is definitely possible as all women definitely are not angels and you can't say that none would ever do this.

Might I suggest to you the problem here as you defined it is the MAN knowingly cheated on his wife. Without any further allegations required, THAT alone would be enough to end his marriage in many cases. With all your negative stereotyping about women you have failed to see where your own words damn the behavior of men.

Venley

First Post
There is another line running through this thread I wish I had time to address, and that is a pervasive fear, or claimed fear of even talking to women because of the risk of being attacked with harassment allegations. Welcome to our world boys. I am over 60 and I don't remember a time when my gender was not routinely advised on what to say or not to say so not as to give a guy the wrong impression. There has never been a time we were not advised about where we could go safely and where the risks were higher due to the potential for assault. There was never a time when we were not encouraged to stay in groups for our own physical safety. You all know that joke about women always needing two to go the restroom? Too us it was never a joke, it was merely following the advice of protecting ourselves from harassment and assault by sticking together. Any of you guys here ever been on an elevator alone, it stops on a different floor, door opens, a woman standing there, indicates she isn't getting in, no reason or a casual'wrong way" and shrug? Because we are taught to NEVER get in an elevator alone with strange men. period. Those are just two examples of how my gender is inculcated from our first steps to protect ourselves.
Do we ignore those rules at time? Sure, and when we do and then are actually attacked and we do report it do you know the questions we have to answer? WHY were you there alone? DID YOU say anything or act in anyway to encourage the attack? Were there any witnesses because unless they leave DNA and the attacker denies it is he said/she said. The news is loaded with TRUE stories nearly daily of a woman testifying against an assailant being put on trial to prove that she in NO WAY, word, thought, or deed invited this on herself.
So now that guys may have to do the same or be treated the same we have all this outrage.
As for PC, as I said I am a grandmother, I grew up in different times, and it seems to me this resentment of PC(or in my days was simply called good manners) is pretty misplaced. But I hear ya guys, I do miss the days when an elbow to the solar plexus or a knee to the groin of some overly friendly didn't carry the risk of an assault and battery charge.

Thank you. I'm a woman of a similar age and you express this truth so well.

Obryn

Hero

Thank you, forums poster Thomas Bowman, for coming forward with the "but what if women are sadistic, lying witches?" defense.

I am sure that your fanciful what-if scenarios are extremely pertinent to the issue at hand and things that actually happen all the time.

As opposed to harassment, which is basically nonexistent and in fact only happens when there's video evidence, sworn witnesse affidavits, and certification from a licensed telepath who can testify as to the alleged harasser's actual intent.

DM Magic

Adventurer
How is it misogynistic if it is not a blanket accusation of all women? Some women are good others are bad, just like men are, that is why we need proof not just hearsay!

Here, let me help you find the misogyny by editing your post.

And women people who have been harmed by sexual assault won't be helped if you make it easier for them to send people to jail willy nilly. Women People have got to use their smarts of they want someone to be arrested for sexual assault, it can't just be her their word against his others and her their word always wins! Women People who are truly victims of sexual harassment need to present proof, not just to get her female their friends to agree that the man person in question is a creep! So the standard then becomes, whoever loses a popularity contest with women people goes to jail. That is the standard I don't want to get set, because it means all those popular guys people get on those women people falling over themselves, while the losers get sent to jail for sexual harassment based on some women's person's word on it alone.

Women People can also use this as a form of blackmail to keep a relationship going that otherwise would have ended a long time ago. Lets say a women person is having a relationship with a married man person, and the married man person is feeling guilty and he they wants to end it with her so he they can go back to his their wife partner, but the mistress person says, "Oh no you don't, you are coming right back here to bed with me every Friday, we will keep it discrete, but if you ever break up with me, then I will blab and break up your marriage! So you be a good boy person and come to bed with me right now or their will be consequences!"

Keep in mind, all I did was point out the misogyny in your framing of this from a man's point of view, thus vilifying women -- and not any of the other myriad of ways your post is entitled and disgusting.

S

Sunseeker

Does it work for them on other websites, maybe?.

Just to this question here, the answer is yes.

I circulate 3 main forums: MMO-Champion, here, and Deviantart.

The latter is almost completely unmoderated, and yes, it looks an awful lot like what the other unmoderated areas of the internet look like. MMOC is moderated but the moderators never hand out lasting punishments, and do very little about ban evasion. Poop-posters are allowed to run on for days and weeks with their posts ranging from outright insults to women, minorities and other posters before a mod shows up to give them a 3-7 day vacation...at which point they either abandon the account in favor of a sock-puppet (or multiple sock puppets) or start right back up when the vacation is over.

And this is outside of the more terrifying places on the internet where that sort of posting, and worse is actively encouraged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads