D&D 5E I know *exactly* what "Many Eyes" means

We've already guessed the upcoming streaming event / campaign book announcement relates to beholders, Xanathar, and Waterdeep/Undermountain. And it's been noted that the tagline "No Stone Unturned," found both in the event announcement and the currently-ongoing "alternate reality game" is a reference to the old video game Eye of the Beholder, in which "Leave No Stone Unturned" is found carved on the wall of Xanathar's outer sanctum.

But there's more. This morning, reading through an old D&D supplement, I stumbled upon something I haven't seen mentioned anywhere yet.

It turns out "Many Eyes" is actually a specific entity in Forgotten Realms lore -- and he lies the origin of a powerful artifact called the Eye of the Beholder (apparently unrelated, until now, to the video game of the same name).

This is a from the 2e supplement Volo's Guide to All Things Magical, by Ed Greenwood and Eric L. Boyd, p. 123 (all italicized emphasis mine):

"In the dim history of the Underdark, the drow city of Menzoberranzan was founded by refugees from the war-torn city of Golothar led by Menzoberra, the high Priestess of Lolth. Following their defeat of the dwarves of the Black Axe Clan, the drow refugees discovered a massive underground cavern called Araurilcaurak ("Great Pillar Cavern"). At the command of their dark goddess, the drow settled the cavern and drove out all the previous inhabitants, including a monstrous beholder known as Many Eyes.

The beast, also known as Yuthla, was a massive beholder rumored to be over 30 feet in diameter with over 100 eyestalks. Drow scholars later theorized that the monster reached its abnormal size due to the high concentrations of Underdark radiation in that region. The scholars believe Many Eyes was a variety of elder orb, given its spellcasting ability and ability to direct scores of undead beholders (also known as death tyrants). After a climactic battle in which hundreds of drow and their slaves were slain, Yuthla was destroyed.

Drow legends relate that immediately following Yuthla's death, Menzoberra plunged her fist within its carapace and withdrew its still-pulsing "inner eye" which served as the beast's brain and heart. In an unholy rite of devotion to Lolth, Menzoberra petrified the organ and encased it in a magical variant of amber. The resulting gemlike stone was magically reduced and mounted on an adamantine torc which Menzoberra wore around her neck until her death.

Menzoberra is believed to have used the artifact, referred to in the old stories as 'Yuthla the Eye of the Beholder,' to aid in the construction of the new city and to clear monsters from the surrounding wilds of the Underdark. Following Menzoberra's death, the inlaid torc disappeared in the subsequent power struggle between her daughters. Although numerous drow matriarchs have searched for the artifact in the intervening centuries, no trace of the Eye has ever been found."

The book goes on to discuss rumors of a (relatively) recent clue to the artifact's whereabouts, then lists the artifact's powers, which include creating and controlling death tyrants; granting its wearer all the powers of a normal beholder's eyes (once a day each); and a 9th-level spell called "tyranteyes" that allows the caster to actually transform indefinitely into a beholder.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
This all sounds good, but I think we already cracked this case in the other thread.

What if its Waterdeep is only a distraction? What if Stream of Many Eyes is meant to hide the codename ''Stream of Many I's''? Quick everybody, find the alliterate name for book that would contain as many ''I''s as possible!

Iggwilv's Inventory of Illusionary Inevitables?

If true, certain types of players will inevitably just refer to it as “Manny.” Which will make me grind my teeth like little else. Players neglecting to use the names of things and just making up something dumb drives me up a wall.

One of the things that’s really impressed me about 5e is just how far back some of the lore and callbacks go, how in-depth and obscure they can get. I’m continually surprised by what turns up in old issues of Dragon, or obscure corners of old products.

It turns out "Many Eyes" is actually a specific entity in Forgotten Realms lore -- and he lies the origin of a powerful artifact called the Eye of the Beholder (apparently unrelated, until now, to the video game of the same name).

I wholeheartedly agree.

As an example, I'm currently DMing "Tyranny of Dragons" and there's a castle that features as a major location in the campaign (Castle Naerytar). I was just browsing through old magazines a few weeks ago, and it turns out that castle, as described in the 5e campaign book, originated in an obscure series of four Dungeon magazine adventures from 20 years ago -- and the castle's backstory in the 5e campaign book (set 120 years after the magazine adventures) explains what happened to the castle after those original adventures, in a totally believable way but without directly citing the earlier material.

Those of us who love the official lore and wish there were more of it forthcoming in the 5e era can console ourselves with the (mostly) very faithful, "deep-cut" approach to lore each 5e product has taken. Most of the supposed lore inconsistencies are, I find, actually well-explained within the material. For another example, again citing "Tyranny of Dragons," I've seen several complaints that the Cult of the Dragon isn't true to its Realmslore roots; but it is explained in the book that the Cult has recently become overtaken from within by the Church of Tiamat, and this is an important element of the Cult's current state (internal conflicts between old guard and new guard members), that a DM who cares about such things can take advantage of but other DMs can ignore.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
If true, certain types of players will inevitably just refer to it as “Manny.” Which will make me grind my teeth like little else. Players neglecting to use the names of things and just making up something dumb drives me up a wall.

I outmaneuver the players by just giving all the NPCs and monsters stupid names to begin with.

aco175

Legend
I also remember a big series of beholder wars in Tethyr in ancient times. There is a magic item called the Shield of Shivan(?) Which reflects eye rays if I remember right. All the speculation is in Waterdeep though.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Dude, that's amazing. Perhaps the current Xanathar has ambitions...

Also, Many Eyes sounds like an amazing epic level foe...

Remove ads