Fire Mountain Games - 5 years since funding - communication thread

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Alzrius, I have to admit that I'm rather envious of your experience. I'd always wanted to meet the man (partially grateful that it never came to be). I would have loved to have experienced that exclusive adventure. You'll have to tell me about it some time. I'd love to hear about it.

I can't believe it's taken me six months to get back to you about this. Sorry, Kevin! :-S

"First Voyage of the Hellbrandr" is a con-exclusive adventure that Gary wrote. The title page notes that only ten copies were printed, and the introduction echoes this, with Gary writing that while he might release it as a PDF or edit it into a larger adventure, it won't be printed except for these ten copies. In hindsight, that's more true than I suspect even he knew.

The adventure isn't bound, but rather is three-hold punched and presented in a binder, with a cover page inserted under the front plastic and a map (actually several maps on a single page) inside the back cover's plastic. The adventure itself is sixteen pages long, not including a page for notes and another page that reprints the back cover's map. The pages themselves aren't your usual printer fare, being a parchment-like cream color, and are slightly thicker than normal paper.

The adventure itself is written for four to six characters of 4th to 6th level. It's set in a Norse environment (local names are given, but I don't believe there's anything connecting it to either Way of the Wicked or Throne of Night), where the PCs are taking the longship Hellbrandr out on its maiden voyage, only to discover that they've fallen under the death-oath of the boat's maker: to avenge the death of his wife. Compelled to find "Jarl" Erlingr (who's essentially a bandit king) and slay him for his crimes, the PCs find that Erlingr is unable to be killed due to a pact he's struck with a witch, who is actually turning the Jarl into a powerful undead creature that she plans on using to build her own kingdom! The PCs need to track her down and put an end to her machinations in order to save the region, slay the Jarl, and fulfill the shipwright's oath.

I've attached a pair of pictures below:

(On a semi-related note, I found some pictures in the binder's pockets from that Gen Con game of Throne of Night we played: one is my pregen character from that game, a dwarf ranger 1 (no name given), another is a color print of what looks like a female svirfneblin rogue (autographed by Gary), and a color print map of Fasturvalt.)

Hellbrandr1.jpg
Hellbrandr2.jpg

kevin_video

Explorer
Those are awesome pics. Thanks for sharing. No worries on the late response.

I kind of wish this wasn't a con-exclusive. Maybe when he's getting low on funds he'll send this as a one-shot for people to purchase. I know I'd want a copy. I'm interested in the story and stats. And I love that Michael's art style is something he can change. His Way of the Wicked and Throne of Night art look very similar so you can immediately tell it's him. This cover, however, you can't really pick out that it's him. I actually thought it was someone else for a second before I saw him credited.

gamemodapk

Villager
Supporter here too. I'm still around watching out for this task yet I can state this entire experience diverted me off from consistently backing another Kickstarter. The absence of any kind of (Subway Surfers For IOS)responsibility from the maker - or contribution/authorization from Kickstarter themselves - is sufficient to shield me from doing this once more.

kevin_video

Explorer
Supporter here too. I'm still around watching out for this task yet I can state this entire experience diverted me off from consistently backing another Kickstarter. The absence of any kind of (Subway Surfers For IOS)responsibility from the maker - or contribution/authorization from Kickstarter themselves - is sufficient to shield me from doing this once more.
Unfortunately, I have to say that I'm also like this. I used to dump money on KS projects like they were going out of style. Now I can barely get myself to support ones that are 90% guaranteed to be backed and sent out (so much dice coming my way now). Even ones that good friends are doing, that I want to support, I find myself doing the lower tiers and not much else. It's crazy how this one project has soured me on so many things even beyond KS.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
For me it leads to not wanting to start a crowdfunding thing husband and me were planning a while ago. I don't trust this system anymore. Although we do back projects every now and then but rather in the low levels, too.

TheSword

Legend
Sorry to necro this. Has any more been heard of from Mr McBride? So many years, $40,000 and nothing to show for it, bar PDFs of two chapters. Not even the art and maps, that we know was finished. Disappointing!

Is Gary McBride involved in any projects that anyone is aware of?

kevin_video

Explorer
Sorry to necro this. Has any more been heard of from Mr McBride? So many years, $40,000 and nothing to show for it, bar PDFs of two chapters. Not even the art and maps, that we know was finished. Disappointing!

Is Gary McBride involved in any projects that anyone is aware of?
To date, Gary has supported 661 projects (we don't know to what degree), but nothing has come of the projects. We know the artist was fully paid, which we learned was a solid chunk of the money. It's suggested that all the art cost the 40k, but I don't think so. I haven't seen all the art, but I did the math, and know how much detailed, coloured commissions can get to be. However, Kickstarter takes a percentage, so Gary didn't have $40k to start with. It's also been learned that Fire Mountain Games dissolved payments to its web host back in 2014. The site was on life support until it disappeared.

The best resource I can you is my accumulated links that I put on a Google document, including a link to the "world map", and to my Tumblr where I did a series of posts with art I found and builds I theorized. I also posted all the art I found to my Pinterest page (also linked in the resource page).
Resource Link Page

Everyone has given up on the AP, including myself, and as such, last May it was given a (semi-official) obituary. (Don't forget to leave a comment there.)

As for anyone having heard from him, that's a big no. I've had people reach out to me in hopes that I was in contact with him, but that's not the case. Even old friends of his are no longer able to get a hold of him in any way, shape, or form, and these are people saying they've known each other for decades. Apparently he moved, and just didn't keep in touch.

He's not involved with any projects that we're aware of. At least not using his real name. If he is, it's likely it's 5e based as he's been supporting a lot of 5e projects.

As for Throne of Night, a game company was looking to buy the rights to the AP and everything under Fire Mountain Games, complete it, and release everything promised. That was last year. I don't know what came of it.

I'm still linked to this thread and my blog via email, and I check the Paizo forum from time to time, as well as the KS page. I'm always around to answer any questions I can, and inform where possible.

Last edited:

Remove ads