D&D 5E MTOF: Elves are gender-swapping reincarnates and I am on board with it

JPL

Adventurer
Seriously. It's 2018, and I'm ready for elves that aren't just two or three familiar Tolkeinesque subraces or 1990s drow cliches. If you're chaotic good and enjoy several hundred years of youthful vigor, you're gonna want some variety, and if you were a different gender, or a tree, in your last life . . . you're just not gonna get hung up on this kinda stuff, right?

3rd Edition dragons had this stuff figured out already. Anything from an angel to a kobold, a 3rd edition dragon will shrug and say, why not? And bam, slap a half-dragon template and an ECL +2 on that baby.

JPL

Adventurer
And this stuff, by the way, is why dwarves and elves don't get along. Different on not just a cultural level, but also biological and spiritual --- dwarf souls and elf souls don't operate the same.

Shiroiken

Legend
I have to say I dislike much of the surface elf lore in MToF. It makes elves seem like emo jerks that long for the relief that death will bring. I mean, birth is a time of sadness because it steals a soul from elf heaven? Screw that; elves are suppose to love life! The creation of new life should be the most joyous of occasions, not a pity party.

Oh, and as a grognard, elves don't have souls, they have spirits ;)

S

Sunseeker

The more lore WotC adds to elves, the less I listen to what WotC has to say on anything.

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
My first thought is how odd it is to have such an overhaul of lore at this point in the edition cycle. It would make sense to have those sort of changes at the release of 5ein 2014 (similar to the changes to monster lore in the MM), but we’ve gone through four years of assumptions around “classic” D&D lore (and discussion of said lore in the core books and previous releases). We’ve seen how changes in lore can come alongside initial releases (4e being the prime example), so the sudden change in lore assumptions partway through 5e like this is odd to see, given the strong focus upon classic setting elements through the play tests and past years of releases.

Mad_Jack

Legend
I honestly can't recall having ever used the official D&D lore on any of the races in a pure, unadulterated straight-out-of-the-book fashion, at least as a DM...
(When I'm playing a character, I mostly just use it as a reference point in order to play against the type or subvert one or more of the tropes.)

Last edited:

guachi

Hero
I just don't care about the lore in the new book. It reminds me of someone's homebrew campaign. Maybe if I were new to the game or we weren't drowning in lore already I'd care. If there's something specific about the races you can put it in the setting supplements that Wizard's probably won't ever do.

Sigh. I just find the supplements an unsatisfying mess.

Last edited:

Remove ads